Community discussions

MikroTik App

zonhub
just joined
Topic Author

cast videos / multicasting discovery / layer2 traffic

Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:03 pm

Hello,

Target Scenario: I want to be able to cast content/videos on my SmartTV (which is at home) while I am AWAY in another city. The SmartTV is connected to my LAN at home. I am connected to my LAN via VPN client. I actually want to cast videos as if I was physically at home (like when using apps such as youtube, netflix, etc, on my Android phone).

Devices: Blackberry KeyOne running Android. SmartTV Philips running Android. Mikrotik hAPac2.

Questions:
  • Does OpenVPN support multicast discovery/pass layer2 traffic when using/setting up a OpenVPN server within a router? If so, would it work when configuring within a Mikrotik router?
  • Did any of you eventually try to do this?
Regards.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: cast videos / multicasting discovery / layer2 traffic

Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:05 pm

As far as I know you need to be L2 for casting and in the same Wi-Fi network.
Don't know if what you want is possible, but you can still try to use EoIP tunnels and bridge them in your LANs. Buy a mAP Lite to do so when you're away.
With a mAP Lite you can make SSTP VPN to your home and then establish EoIP on SSTP, so you can connect your mAP everywhere you want and you don't need a public IP for EoIP.

Maybe you can also masquerade VPN connection to your LAN, maybe that would work.