Community discussions

MikroTik App

sniper88
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik sniffer droped packets

Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:26 am

Hello,
I want to know if there is a method to use the sniffer tool or something else to catch all dropped traffic from firewall. I would like to know if there are some rules that drop something and then allow the traffic if this is good. I would use it for debug purpose.
Is there a solution with the sniffer or another method to do this?
Thanks in advance.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik sniffer droped packets

Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:52 am

Hi

Sniffer will capture all traffic on the interface / wire, so in incoming side before any rules are applied, and on the outgoing side after all changes/filtering has been applied.
Basically what one would see in the wire.

argusb
just joined

Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:57 pm

Hello,
I want to know if there is a method to use the sniffer tool or something else to catch all dropped traffic from firewall. I would like to know if there are some rules that drop something and then allow the traffic if this is good. I would use it for debug purpose.
Is there a solution with the sniffer or another method to do this?
Thanks in advance.
You can also accomplish this goal by enabling logging on your drop rules ( or by making an explicit log + drop rule after your accept rules ).

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:00 pm

another way - mangle has action "sniff-tzsp". If you can define your rule in mangle same way as in filter, it will be evaluated before filter and therefore you can sniff packets which will be dropped in the next step. That of course means almost doubling your whole firewall rules... not sure if it is worth it...

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm

instead accept or drop, use jump to specific custom Firewall chain, where you can have rule that logs , and rule that accepts or drops.