Community discussions

swimdude05
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox question in regards to traffic

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:58 am

Does Winbox encrypt the traffic sent from WinBox to the Router?
Current 6.43 and up on Router and using WinBox 3.18

As far as I understand WinBox functions like a client and the Router like a server when issuing instructions through WinBox.

So I am hoping that there is some kind of encryption on the data as it traverses the internet?

If I am wrong please let me know.

No ego here.

shiyiqiang08

Re: Winbox question in regards to traffic

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:58 am

Does Winbox encrypt the traffic sent from WinBox to the Router?
Current 6.43 and up on Router and using WinBox 3.18

As far as I understand WinBox functions like a client and the Router like a server when issuing instructions through WinBox.

So I am hoping that there is some kind of encryption on the data as it traverses the internet?

If I am wrong please let me know.

No ego here.
hi:
i use the wireshark to capture the packets when i use the wireshark
you can see it as flow: most information has encrypt,but i do not read it carefully,may be some one can read it

'.admin.5.T....O.]=.T...b|....O....7.......P-..#'..4.L<ha?.g.~..6.M.Vh9,......
)..8.P....7.........5~^.m..sHU...._...|%.T..mAE.>....Y.j.OTQ....%|.C0j..h..I.z..D.o.~......{.S....m..8.7#A...k...$.=ew...i.SB\...'...qAa....z1....R
..Sh..X.L....8`=....a......mN.z. =.....(~..9..K....A.. .lM....1d..e....H..W..yD.~......wz.qu..l<.d.Cr?-.....=w.9C!4y..O(k.3.tZ.S$....Z.*.....O...W.C7v....e...E/......TN.....Uu.)P....R....`6p..j......"M..m
H..*.,.XH..Vp.ryvS.<...._.N).B.'d.......V...DL.Q.Yjp.....w..T....X..1.{.c^.....(.KY#.X...Lt..|.=..JC.......5.8..,..LG.U....Z.p....XI..[.....Y.
aCO.....q..g.L..s......-I..=K.+.[)o.!KQ.(...pGm=...*.+.%'...ve....."i...7Bv0.`.,....%.?5....2<dF...m..aFx.y..@1..5.....u..5.Xi..J.a.Wx..>.<.....s&.....,;.`..,.........7...K...........0......`.VWLW..i....P..^W.<....].%...[n.y..n*t...&......>.0.F.<....t.N.I...c.K.L{B.....6Y..(..+..)...\U...g.pw....~.y..6.....`...r..P/M..hWzg..T.Tf..Eo.L.Sz..O..l.4'..0$g.$.2bM.....4.e.>...p.+....tQ...list................list.........U....{ crc: 2312642347, size: 1155, name: "advtool.jg", unique: "advtool-ce784b2ff6ef.jg", version: "6.42.10" },
{ crc: 714956886, size: 3266, name: "dhcp.jg", unique: "dhcp-79f93020874e.jg", version: "6.42.10" },
{ crc: 1093970965, size: 224..51, name: "icons.png", version: "6.42.10" },
{ crc: 2849466509, size: 4408, name: "ppp.jg", unique: "ppp-f6990b779682.jg", version: "6.42.10" },
{ crc: 3113199145, size: 64607, name: "roteros.jg", unique: "roteros-9ab7ee620497.jg", version: "6.42.10" },
{i. crc: 2549024536, size: 3489, name: "secure.jg", unique: "secure-486b756691b5.jg", version: "6.42.10" },
..list.............U..list.............U4..(Aju.eH+....$g..........&Im..v..b]..P"....|..}y9.J.5..)..r_..=.|(.....p..k.ue!t.Jj..(.C..z..W..r...9....(.;../.....
YX.n.=.v.B.B................Lb'#...K.4m.4.>4...........f.'`e...`.[..UW...^*.K.P.8Y.%C.I...qn.....&v<.....!$.>+..1.#..z'+..NYw...6VfE.a.I..+LJ...#.....8...B1.
...._.~.g......2#@.........{..{.._%8..Q...gh..........H$..|p8
......u....`w.....g.ym>.HH.#...S..0..I...jc..?.Z...b.I8w.....O..pO...V...d..N.
%......K.....4.a@......>..>......:Q...V..:@Y.h.0,o..x...L........P......A8gB..^Y.............r...q......c...o.....D%-.T.....`s........1..u..0.I!.GlB.I.
yj
$.[0..U...9l.t.Y.......[..M.&M....G.N..-i...z.........d..$.n_..m......qh......-;. C~.@;\........kE.....6..3;.....v...Y.K..zr..@.Z0.^.....t....b..-...|$...K.7.&..n.HJ.......A...i..^......
......d3l.Q`.....i9}'.....dy..i.m......
s....bI..5.u.>.......ZO. ...m...`.n[..7+.m&n..V|x.^b..U$.=..i..........`F.)..xa...^A..4)0cv..b.a.+u.Rk..<Y/{.r......I.1|.61..........da...c.^...R.."....QmU..0.K..?...}....r.]......~..V%'.....&....;..>,!.{JL...S..1.O.Ih..m..v.U.<G....c..C..7.....@..... y.....|.3i.LV}.s.........*.]....M..k.u..N3..{..R.@&..;../.q7).aL.'.V..../.y.F.....6b.w.2.P.]..3..............:.Og.;../....(..cz....g=..G....hl69...3E..d..=......v.......d.l8..;../.78.........>.....w....m.U,....J.msy..t..^.1.........J=O.;../W@...N.P....">[.f...P.e.$i'......{5.Z..{(2
.Ai5.]).+...Z.G..;...pt@...7....l.oDh.........H.p.....Td..a.u.r.....8...P....Q...U....iF..:].iC..e.....+...sr.*..;8OMR1..].&.......Z[~....m..W.v2...>.p.6.B.4.5;../tX2.S. .*........R.C.'O.._O.}.....7.`..._(w...!9.R..*....K..?....W.B.......-.....e....U~.F^/...w..
..c.p.z... .Bq...d....v~.Z....... .C..7XP-a./..x...Z..>7..6..;..H.jqV.D.....*..!PW..{......ns...1..n..s$4..(9..l..e......Btc.S.X..p.@.))D......(...c..R!.;..O{....G.e.y..|Y/.......b#....5A2..e.>
..... ..x(..kR..At?.._.n..\1.^..J......V...Q^t.d...sg..t..w=.n...;...V..X.......+..(QR ..<.....f$.....U~...B..-.H.1H...#.....&K....\...3.`....z..IQy[..).!.k...K.....Sh);y....N.e-......G$.../..i..9...!..v..<...._n......j.....|.........'....k..LE...JQ..<7.Z...h...(
....^D.Q=...2.]}%...8.p.O.D.`..n..!.u..p.B....Q.i1..8.9FC....,.t..-.yQ.....A...."...>........E0. LTK..Nr.....3L0....2.e.G...A.Q....+...a<.Bs...g..Yi.w..Q.c.Jc.g..d...qJ.ow.[4..(.|........./..*G.e.._}."`.,..a..m..O.0..>..M'..;.?....5...c6W'.B...<
M.w._...2..R.._.}.......$Q.k@
(..C...qt5.^....a.]....W.B.,..z.......n..FbP......"V...|....LrsKXJ....L..%q..`..E.....
....@.....
0.9..Yw.........['.8....(..].C<..Ff`....2..X.........3...,@.+........>........+WH...#b...kbpv....h..J.|r:J........!%.....-..u.HSB.?..........E..
.p|..Y.Q~..g..|.5.J...f
..q..z......7..tS.g....
e.....k.K}...CL.4...r9E..c..9.Q=.&.R........j..G7./.RV.kz..............z..)
.<p&.AX..uT.1?].M....^..0.._t&l.u......VH...39.+..).JP6.Z.h....7.....pj.
.b..fc..C..$...<(. .YA......t1)J......i.......1...",..[..
5bo...m....s@q...5.T.]$....m..`G...m.a........TQ....).V>..u....v.^.W.`R.&.?*....n.{.ce......%...);A..e.'-.7.L..\..C%.@o..O.....3..y)?.....L...h...B...2 x..M.m..4..a.H.@.^Y, 1+.-*....z..P...B&tE.......,-..L..wn..a...LmT.....@.r\./..
.h....4..(B....!....#.,d...X..H....>...O7K
.Z...1.......F.O...7.....Q.c.I..q.....).J.]..+.Y9./Y.ZH....j...o.kOG..........@C.q+'..z......o.....h.D;9..RL.......o(..-X.]......{....a.........j.
..T..X#. O~mN..3..R.J...*~.....
.}.j...Cu%|..;.
Z.g....NV..V../.+.....I..a.._.....J3.R..Z.......1.....:.|..;..&}h.......!.[.v.V......5...190..B....v.5..j..0.;....f.....y......../y........a./w.......D.Q...\g...c.Z.l
2$..;Z...07........_...h...d]...m.!9L.w^..o..\~4x}.2.....3a.......%3_M:....2.{6.e"..N..4.^g4..$@...E...k.<./n...4..E.j.&...W...|n.|.
Y~b..B.p.la........K
....M.wv.8..3.e........*Ny@........;.....+_.......(..:...L$5u....AK....u.....8..L.B.T...EO.b"...}...K|.,hW.qd.gv#Y{.....O....r{..@..P$G......)8L....d-..b...x......:...
.....<..n.I.........J6....^ug.C...#..=xt.N@%.z.|. ?~..3>`..D...|...7..d..r.PU..Oc.....l].bP.t.a.....YVf..........m.}...........($....w..-
]wP..i.9>....~.{_v-......$iO'......I..........-....@`..wp;...X.n...V........j..).....e.T.:UV.E.X..........Y!..MP<..M...w.....A.U.|..Tg......<...O6J..-b........g...SH..P...v.. lI2.:9..Hw.o....n..
n..](.7...4..T:1]jw(L5u........B...N..7.61...s.d.a'.y.]&{(7..O...[..
.K....F.....CQI.m.k..@.......>...T.../`{..;....d.......m...T.....n........wk.*.NQ:....F].Hm..-..".........(...7...e.6t'......c.(|.w|.....Trly..>`_.N |..C.......9......W[.fl.T%.ei!.G
.!.P......E$l.....)._?.......W..............o2..p....{P.5..2.'...Nh+.R..{r..-..s..Ik..
..T.fY.r..OK.e.K.......y...h...,..,.;.?yZ..@....4.u0.@..g.<.[..3.Y......=......\,.=..i.y..wu-.zvZq).Ydf..%x..~.C......E..3.p...U.k2:.]@.b......v...1$A..).g
.5B2....9.D...y...J.......m.....O.........V/.`.8..H
`[Y.Z..w......WZ..|.... .....6. ..983Q..$-W..]....S...n%.^....5.z.l]!..K.reP....X?..@.../0.p.0..z..........h..........."7.e..+..*.)'.."....'....K..P...u...1....U.?.gH^W..ru&8H.U.0.1..y...q.S;...W.n../.q....x.MHqF.(...#.........c8....6...3..$...^.-.)VWs.....F.<.]G~J/.....h.....a....JD.>G.Ka....TG^......o..Bjy#.@.....h\HO....2....s`V.d.B......`.._?.A.!J5.B...=.......8..EoFY.6..G.3zM
O.
..`>!v.*.1U|?....l~R|.n....M..Sc.Q.:.F...od..=..#..E..........J.V.....'.........D\$n...1D.s.........o.......d.R($}r...>.......^...j.r..R..pw..tT..wQ..
m.t......d.>..W.p....T*F...[ENVI......=.&.n|x.C.......PO=.....qm...3.7.g|....?V.....4R.k|.B....A...5.\:.G.!..h..1...J...KL-..6.P..4.n.}.....K...J.V3......V*.....<.!...r3..1.'A..r($5i^$.nZY.C.A..........ZR1..5q...|....c..yl.3.v.....y..!i.....;!.....+B2E6..c+.A..O..4.@...y.21>1.LR......*...|...US#...:..b...^...M..K...H..'..B..m..x.*....m..E..n....N.s$...CMoP.H.o...=.v.o]D.'g_X.....*..C..0.7h......`X&PHL.H.:....;=..1g.+.....n.........F..v.{.C...b......h..~V.b~AD.w$./r.
PRq261{.v...*....l.g...(5..T.".N....*=....Ti...C.....Sq

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:06 pm

That's not encrypred, it's binary. If it was encrypted, we wouldn't be able to read even a tiniest fraction of it...
BR,
Metod

Steveocee
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:18 pm

There is a padlock in the top right corner of Winbox. If it is lit and locked you are encrypted. If not then you aren't.
Steve "Steveocee" Carter
PC Gamer, Airsofter, MikroTik Nerd
My Website - My MikroTik Tutorials

swimdude05
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:04 pm

Awesome information.

Thank you very much.

I will run wireshark and test the encryption next.

I will at least post a summary of my findings.

swimdude05
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:44 am

So i have complete the pcap for 1 of the 3 scenarios I want to test.

Winbox 3.18
RB951 Firmware 6.43.7

From a Ethernet link to the MikroTik, accessing via IP address.
Pad lock is confirmed in top right corner of Winbox

Data is still binary and readable.
The username is directly readable on the first packet of the TCP stream.
From what I can tell the whole TCP stream is binary.

username and password was test / test for this example.

Is there something I am missing here?

&.test.gU..w.z.F.q.....u...Lr=Lh.{.L\...1.62.b.9$...
>.6.[.R.!u|.=.,L~ii.~..%:dw|1U........ .y!O..........2..[,...g....2Vi.?_ ....z%........r.o.$.'
..O).7.|rK.b..P.....}...........a....m...*..:8};..;......V. N.7...7<z1.so...E+....2./...=l.V^%NMuj
....P o.........>.#.J...)Q.H9...."9FF`.......).\.i.TR..L......pi...Q.|..>....g.. ..S.$./L.....#(u...}..8].*..T..tiW!.....4`_.>.n...W.Y
i8.k..x.u...q...S...
.....i.q\.0aR....(=.b..P..z{.......-..|#..=....4.@].... ...s#..LH{.......@*..y.#.
.,5...dc'.+.U/.Z...Q.?.h22.L..z....+..b..P..........x2M.....Y... .\.e.g..Y_o#S....07..d.k?. .......Z...
..a.v..#.@#2.(...D...`...]
..ib..Pk.&.%fJ.....'...1F.t+...\?...6Y ..?F.7.H?..9......A....,........Z.t..K1(.{...5.H"...o. .H....%.)...@........;.Nt.Y.[Ep~...n..=.....>
Q=...e.......6....7.y.....B..3j...!L......g1'.s.[..IJ.Rd.....?+.......;. .........ND..I..K..-....g......S.........!.+j[.....U$v....{..-7.]......h..#.....V..|.JB.J.96}.
...EL-.....EI..J.;.+... ..QeM/.X.<X0...o.J.K..s..5=............H./2%.....AT.c........j.u.v".../Y8...K..l]..r.g....'9...."S..x.#~vc..Z..i..\....[r|.5)..P....;.. ..q..Ep..>IV!9..._.....(...!0..3...3."..z...l.....R,..u.?.......M.K:....{bT....^......1...}...!...CC.m....... *-)?.........gW.u.%c...Fw5s....../..s.........*...4......a....(..{1O...c.6.....[...._...{...E.T).....5~. .Q. 9.yAi
.K n.@.r!j....7]......7....bpM.C6..W{..{.;y.j.5... ..@.X.ie.?m........F..:'vC...w/.......s.
.e
_....KE..Qj.~.c...e|v0.y...K.%.. ~HV.2...O,t\//...H)3.)....x. 6..&.x..j<.....Ml;....?....|..V.x]....0N&.)...6.......k@~a`.D.>.^.$x............ .
.G.....y.M..;.....W.......*....--....A..ku.....AT0..0........hzH...V........6_r.........J.2...........v....2.S...%.......(?.R.w7.3.......Y#...3.
.Jg......#..>.[2.bL...`...Z..P.....[....V.
..gv:{.7A.V...........B..X.....C.7..i;.a&!.k..|.*j...Do=*.m..$..Ok\' UXg=...APF...S.J..K.R+bv.....R..@...|..... ^.Qh.X..[.zp@...@...a..r..c..R5.....(.1.M...D..
N...(Y..rK..ADy...d...b..P..w..qo.......e....%zm.......O...=.7...[C..j.R...D-Iu.Ym....m...P/.Dl......l....9j..<W_N...[. ..b..P.Q>....,.,....="..}G...^.v....Y..d.H.`9.Kqv..<..Q.|.=G....`.d.N..G..p.r#..Z.....N/J.....y.C<x...... .}_.g......j@(.U.
..,V.=.2/zu..4sv>........'.}........:.x...x.."... XYN.+.o59.6.$.9.^....!..p...t......y.V.........>X4.+V...Z.^."..
...a....N.:-.e.&...s.X..1T.......A....fC..>{.....o:.......f....~.......]...|...YRq...|.$F7.P..hct.15...yV.m ..[..S.3:.Z.....I.....q.O....P..]B..x..0H.....3..s.|...b^.U....ud....... b.....}'........d....P...k.........W......R......2..i.Y......;..;.Sb'=.6 ..
......3g..[k.C...Rv9.|.:...y.....p......?...8dj.j.Rl.R..........QUR.*).D...$*Q.....c.-.........@^~...A{..3KG.;Awd"n..3J....N.........."]..b.T[.>I..+2>..J....(br...r.G.G.........5.......$.....2Ki..
j..b..C..W..X..wr...%..U...U.4
.!.w
c.. ....I..`......"......=.?d&...2~.p\...9..... )...$
.Y`Cn..sL...xRQU.N.e..8..(2?..a....(JNQ_.x.k...t.P.Y.......2...]....GN9+d.u{.S..........Z..5......+n,...!qc...qX.....F'..8....;z...,........Q.c. *

eXS

Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:36 am