Community discussions

MikroTik App

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Manage two internet connection - No load balancing needed

Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:56 pm

Hi,
I have the RB2011 and I would like to use it for manage two internet connection, not with the load balancing or fail over functionality.
I Would like to route all the device wired and wireless with the internet connection 1 ( SFP ) and only one computer with specific IP address use ( and receive data ) from second internet connection, a vlan1 over eth1.

Actually my router is configured with the quick setup, setting up the SFP connection as WAN, because I'm pretty new with RouterOS and I have only basics network knowledge. BTW it's working really good with this default settings.

I've now removed the eth1 from bridge, created the vlan1 with specific id required from my ISP, and if i switch the wan from sfp to vlan1, the second internet connection works really fine for all devices connected ( 800DN/300UP )

Now, i revert the WAN to SFP, removed the "add default route" from DHCP client for vlan1, and I've created the route list for the marked connection named WAN2, as well as masquerade and prerouting Mangle rules for WAN2.

All the other device works fine with the SFP(WAN) connection, while the computer with the ip 192.168.88.3 is getting a really low speed, like 0.10mbps, and fails the upload test from speedtest.net
Looking at a page like https://whatismyipaddress.com/ I see it's using the right internet connection, even if it's really slow.

Any idea? ( https://pastebin.com/JJxEH8rE the actual compact export )

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Manage two internet connection - No load balancing needed

Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 pm

Hey

Note: better to include material in forum itself, so it remains complete

I think your problem relates to this line:
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related

all of your connections are fasttracked and that bypasses the mangling -> bypasses routing by mark

instead of mangling for routing-mark=WAN2, apply routing rule
/ip route rule
add src-address=192.168.88.3/32 action=lookup-only-in-table table=WAN2
There is one catch: that's only for ipv4

Edit: corrected for syntax, missing keyword "add"
Last edited by sebastia on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:26 pm

Hey

Note: better to include material in forum itself, so it remains complete

I think your problem relates to this line:
add action=fasttrack-connection chain=forward comment="defconf: fasttrack" connection-state=established,related

all of your connections are fasttracked and that bypasses the mangling -> bypasses routing by mark

instead of mangling for routing-mark=WAN2, apply routing rule
/ip route rule
src-address=192.168.88.3/32 action=lookup-only-in-table table=WAN2
There is one catch: that's only for ipv4
It's saying syntax error:
[admin@MikroTik] > /ip route rule src-address=192.168.88.3/32 action=lookup-only-in-table table=WAN2
syntax error (line 1 column 27)
BTW, it's something related to the default configuration.

I have temporally disabled the rule that you have mentioned:
And now, it's going a better for the internet connection2, but it's drastically reduced the Internet 1 connection speed

Now i'm going to download and upload no more than 200mbps in both internet connection.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:28 pm

There was "add" missing...

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:33 am

There was "add" missing...
yes, I finally add that rule and removed the fasttrack.
Now it's really going better on the second internet connection, but both connection are downloading less then 200mbps, even not simultaneously testing the speed.

Is the rb2011 not powerful enough? seams strange because the CPU load is not going up to 100%

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:20 am

don't remove the fasttrack rule, it will reduce cpu load and improve the throughput. Just add the route rule on top of your previous config (eventually you could remove the mangle rules)

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:56 pm

don't remove the fasttrack rule, it will reduce cpu load and improve the throughput. Just add the route rule on top of your previous config (eventually you could remove the mangle rules)
Re-Enabling the fast track the speed connection seams now works really good, both internet connection are now hitting 800mbps of download speed when tested individually. If i try to start speedtest on both connection at the same time ( two different computer ), i'm going to download something like 200-300 from one connection, and 400mbps form the other, so a total of 800mbps more or less. Is that depending on the hardware of the RB2011? It's a limit of this device?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:04 pm

What cpu usage do you see under speedtest?

But I do indeed suspect that you're hitting the limit of 2011.

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:25 am

What cpu usage do you see under speedtest?

But I do indeed suspect that you're hitting the limit of 2011.
During simultaneous speed test I see some "throttling" about 15% - 25% CPU, it's not particular high value.

The problem could be the "bridging" and how the port are hardwally connected? if I remember correctly the RB2011 has two internal switch with Atheros8327, one for SFP+Port 1 to 5 and other fror port 6 to 10, maybe it's the switch1 the limitation?
SFP1: Internet Connection 1 ( 1gbps / 200mbps )
ETH1: Internet Connection 2 ( 1gbps / 300mbps )
ETH2: PC1 using Internet Connection 1 ( lan port 1gpbs )
ETH3: PC2 using Internet Connection 2 ( lan port 1gpbs )
ETH4: NAS ( lan port 1gpbs )
ETH5 : unused
ETH6-10: varius minor device such as TV, decoder that doesn't support 1gbps

Also consider that, prior to use two internet connection, just using the SFP connection and default value, I "lost" some pure performance against the modem provided by my ISP1. Of corse that modem is really "simple" and featureless then RouterOS, but on speedtest I can reach higher value with the ISP modem/router.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:10 pm

That likely hardware limitation, if you take a look at block diagram https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/RB2011UiAS ... 170308.png

total bandwidth from cpu to 1gb switch is 1gb, so you're very close to it. and for natting you need to pass over cpu, so that's your limitation.

If you wnat the "last drop", you'll need to upgrade router...

Maveick87Shaka
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:32 pm

That likely hardware limitation, if you take a look at block diagram https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/RB2011UiAS ... 170308.png

total bandwidth from cpu to 1gb switch is 1gb, so you're very close to it. and for natting you need to pass over cpu, so that's your limitation.

If you wnat the "last drop", you'll need to upgrade router...
Bad news......the good one is that I can use the same settings, I really like this feature of RouterOS :D

Do you think that the 4011 will be enough?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:40 pm

Given it's block diagram https://i.mt.lv/cdn/rb_files/RB4011iGSp ... 110132.png, I suspect you will ;-)