Re: Chromecast across VLANs?

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Anyone?

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:45 pm

Bridge the VLANs, but then there may be no point using VLANs. Or you'll need to write a rule that can forward mDNS traffic as this is the protocol Chromecast uses for advertisement and control. Chromecast is not really intended to work outside of a simple LAN environment.

An alternative is to enable guest mode on the Chromecast, which then allows local control without the controlling device being on the network. Depending on your TV/speakers, and controlling device, the guest mode isn't perfect. I've had some phones or tablets not work with it well (poor quality microphones) and I've had some TVs with terrible speakers not work well unless they were turned up very loud. Also be aware of the background noise as this will cause a low SNR and make controlling difficult as well.

If the ultrasonic audio pairing doesn't work, you can usually use the PIN shown on-screen (or from the Home app, in the case of Chromecast Audio).

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RackKing
Topic Author

Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:53 am

Thanks for this. I am trying to get a PC to cast a chrome tab. I think the guest features only works with cast enabled apps from ios/android.

I wonder if Avahi works for this. I have never used it....

yottabit
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:46 am

Guest mode won't work for this use. Typical Chromecast use sends commands from the phone, tablet, or computer, and the Chromecast fetches the content itself. The controlling device doesn't send content directly. But in screen/tab-casting mode, the controlling device is transcoding the media into a video stream and sending it to the Chromecast itself.

You can only do that in normal LAN mode, not Guest mode, because Google will not bounce/proxy that video stream for you through its front-end servers.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk