there are many good points about the current RB2011 which makes it a device I carry in my backpack all the time for onsite usage or testing/configuration purposes, some of these good points are:
1. Good form factor
2. LCD screen, I can always see whether my WIFI bridge is connected or not
3. Tons of Ethernet ports with a switch chips that has all the basic features on it, especially the switch Rules
4. Powerful 2.4Ghz Wireless
5. SFP Port, makes it so easy if I need to plug something directly from some fibre connection.
6. POE in and Out
7. 128BM NAND Storage
8. Full Size USB Port
9. Console Port
Of course if you compared its processors speed and core count, it is not too bad still but I think it is time for a refresh.
I hope Mikrotik would build something with the following additional features when they refresh the RB2011, while keeping all the good points above:
1. A concurrent 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz WIFI, something like hAP AC but still with external antenna for either of the band
2. A powerful processor, like those of HEX, and more memory. I love the hex but, I hate it for not having all those switch features....dang...
Of course and some good to have features, but those are entirely optional and some just what I wanted:
1. SFP+ port
2. MicroSD Card slot
3. Detachable antenna
4. A more powerful switchchip compared to Atheros8327. In fact the AR8327 switch features would be more than enough for such a small device but for some application or testing purposes, those switch functionality in CRS3xx series are desirable, but those CRS are huge.
Anyone else want to chip in some of their thought?