Community discussions

MikroTik App

Arcee
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Where are your QoS rules?

Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:30 pm

The question is simple: Where are your Mangle and Queue Tree (QoS) rules?

In the case of a PtP wireless backhaul and particularly with respect to even sharing of bandwidth to all endpoint systems, is it best to place your mangle and queue tree (with PCQs) at your core router or at the branch router?

I always wondered if queuing information sent over a wireless link has any effect over the queuing process (especially with a not so simple queue tree). So for this reason I have been placing my Mangle and Queue Tree at the branch router with the PCQ queues in place to ensure even sharing of bandwidth on a congested link.

Now I see the benefit of placing the mangles and queues on the core router because now you have a proper queue tree that can calculate and share properly based on the overall bandwidth utilization (from all branch locations). But will my traffic flow properly being pushed over a PtP wireless link AFTER the mangle and queue process? This refers mainly to download traffic by he way.

Thoughts?

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Where are your QoS rules?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:54 pm

My understanding is that dropping packets as close to the client as possible is best. However, whatever helps you to be able to manage your network is also a valid concern.

neutronlaser

Re: Where are your QoS rules?

Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:59 pm

Depends