Community discussions

MikroTik App

martinacastillo
just joined
Topic Author

PPPoE and NAT problem (slow connectivity)

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:41 pm

Hi all,

Up to a couple of days ago, my RB500 used to connect to my ISP using a pptp client connection. I set up a few src-nat (masquerade) rules so that I can browse from the internal network.

I have since then been given a new ADSL modem that can only connect vi PPPoE, so I removed my PPTP client, set up a PPPoE client, and changed the out interface on the src-nat / mansquerade rules accordingly.

The PPPoE client authorises and connects successfully, but the problem is this:
From the internal network internet is extremely slow. Google loads fine (and I can search) but most other sites start loading (DNS is OK) and I remain with a white page in my browser. The funny thing is that sites like Google and Gmail work without a glitch. Some sites dont load the images. Most just stop loading after resolving DNS.

I tried connecting directly from my PC to the modem and connecting to the ISP directly, and in that case it works perfectly.

Also when connected through RB500, anything that doesnt need masquerading seems to work fine.

It seems its a masquerading problem ?
I've been scratching my head over this for hours now..

Any clues?

Thanks!

andrewluck
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:47 pm

More likely an MTU / MSS problem. A mangle MSS rule usually fixes this. Search the forum for details.

Regards

Andrew

martinacastillo
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:17 pm

OK Added the MSS and TTL mangle packets as described somewhere in the forum, and it's now a breeze!

ravin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:31 am

can you explain me more about setting up MSS & TTL. I have been facing the same problem.

patagonia

Re: PPPoE and NAT problem (slow connectivity)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:55 am

Hi from Argentina, please explain us your solution, i have problem with mtu & mss on the pppoe server, my clients have speed problems.

Thanks. :lol:

sakimustafa

Re: PPPoE and NAT problem (slow connectivity)

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:26 am

Same to me can u explain ur solution