Community discussions

MikroTik App

transporter_ii
Topic Author

RouterOS bridge-mode / hotspot question

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:46 pm

I have been working on a RouterOS AP. So far I have got it to work in AP-bridge mode and as a "hotspot."

Is it possible to have something in between the two? Is there a way to have hotspot-like controls but not have to log-in?

What we need just needs to be an always on connection for the customer but authorize by mac address so only they can use it...and let me have the ability to play around with bandwidth management for the customer.

Could be looking in the wrong spot, but I couldn't find any examples of a hotspot without the log-in screen. And I could find any APs in bridge mode, but with some of the hotspot capabilities.

Thanks,

Jay

sergejs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:32 pm

HotSpot provides MAC authorization method, when client's MAC-address is used as username. Client is authorized immediately, when MAC-address is listed in 'ip hotspot host' list.
- set 'login-by=mac';
- add 'ip hotspot user' use MAC-address as name.

transporter_ii
Topic Author

re: auth by mac address

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 pm

Yes, I figured that out just this morning before reading your post. Thanks for the reply, though. I tested it and it works, but I do have a couple of questions on the subject.

1). When I added a user, I couldn't use that user account until I rebooted the AP. Is that normal.

2). Everything works fine right off the bat, ftp, e-mail, etc., but I still get a pop-up when the browser is opened. I can live with this, but is there a way to turn that off?

In Winbox, under Hotspot user profiles, I see there is a "Open Status Page" and the options are "HTTP Login" and "Always." Is my thinking wrong on this, or wouldn't a "never" option there be what I'm looking for?

Thanks again for the reply.

Transporter_ii