MikroTik App

jkroon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Shaping and overhead / cell sizes / minimum transmission units

Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:29 pm

Hi All,

A problem I'm currently experiencing is that on some of our long-distance links where we shape into the link it is plain that the queues implementation in RouterOS doesn't take overheads (ethernet), cell sizes (ATM) or minimum transmission units into account.

In Linux's tc implementation I can utilize tc-stab for all of the above, eg, for ethernet I can do:

stab linklayer ethernet

stab linklayer atm

Or the like to compensate. There is more control eg, if I want to compensate for VLANs or MPLS overhead I can do that too by adding eg "overhead 4" or "overhead 18" on top of the linklayer ethernet depending on the use-case.

Does anybody know how to achieve the same in RouterOS?

This is critical for high-level shaping accuracy. Currently we need to either shape for a smaller link than what we've got available to compensate for the overhead (which varies percentage wise based on packet sizes), if we make that too small, then we end up under-utilizing the link, and if we make that too big we end up with packet loss. Neither option is good. With something similar to tc-stab we can get away with shaping at the exact target speed.

jkroon
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Shaping and overhead / cell sizes / minimum transmission units

Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:06 am

No takers?