Community discussions

MikroTik App

ukitnam
just joined
Topic Author

2 WAN -> Unmanaged Switch -> MT Ether1

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:26 pm

Hello, I dont know if this is possible. Im just very newbie, so please bear with me.

I want to make 2 wans for policy routing. However, 2 WANs are remotely located. So I dont have access of their ports to plug it in my ether1 and ether2 in mikrotik.

I can already use them both in ether 1, with their proper gateways on routing policy.

But I wanted to test vlan (I dont even know how this vlan works). What I wanted to achieve is make 2 VLANs in ether 1, then make gateway 1 on vlan 1, and gateway 2 on vlan 2.

I tested that, but I could not reach both gateways. What can you say about this?

I just changed the address settings from:
/ip address
gateway 1 on ether 1
gateway 2 on ether 2

to:
/ip address
gateway 1 on vlan 1
gateway 2 on vlan 2

/interface vlan
vlan 1 on ether 1
vlan 2 on ether 2

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: 2 WAN -> Unmanaged Switch -> MT Ether1

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:32 pm

For starters, if your WAN peers don't do VLANs on access interfaces (they probably don't if things work if you don't mess with VLANs either), you can't make things work using unmanaged switch. You'll have to use managed, VLAN capable, switch.

And second: you'll have to learn about VLANs, what they are and how they work. And then rethink the problem and possible solutions. You might find out that you don't need VLANs for your policy routing, both things are not related at all.

ukitnam
just joined
Topic Author

Re: 2 WAN -> Unmanaged Switch -> MT Ether1

Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:38 pm

Well that answer is what I am expecting. Sorry for this silly post. We can now close this.

Thanks.