Community discussions

RackKing
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

DHCP philosophy - where/what is it best served by?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi,

This is more of a general networking questions than a Tik questions for sure. I am curious to know what others are seeing currently and what the trend it. I suspect the answer moves depending on the market we are talking about.

I currently deploy Mikrotik in to a wide range of scenarios from residential to SMB and some SME. Sometimes the server staff (usually one person or a 3rd party) will want to do DHCP on the windows AD server and other times they don't.

Am I wrong to want to be in control of DHCP? This can lead to some friction on these project especially when something goes wrong and the finger pointing beings. On larger projects I am told what to do if I want in, but it seems like more and more the medium sized stuff is all over. The trend seems to be moving away Server doing network duty? I suppose the cloud is pushing this trend,? Less on prem hardware and with less maintenance and ongoing cost perhaps?

Just looking for an education here. Am I wrong for wanting server guys to just be .... server guys? Should I care? Any pointers of handling these DHCP conversations with in-house IT staff? For me, up time with Mikrotik has never been a problem.

Thanks..

p.s. I realize this is not a typical post this forums gets - I hope I don't get shelled. Moderators, please delete this post if it is inappropriate.
Last edited by RackKing on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: DHCP philosophy - where/what is it best served by?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:12 pm

My view: DHCP server and DNS server are L3. If I'm in charge of L3 part of network infrastructure (i.e. address space allocation, perhaps some LAN DNS services[*]), then I'll request to deal with those services exclusively (doesn't matter if it's service running on top of some core router or dedicated server). If L3 part is somebody else's responsibility it's up to them to decide do they want my hand or not. If not, then I just request a handful of addresses for LAN management purpose (if a separate management VLAN exists, then ... it's all mine :wink: ).

[*] If there's internal DNS hierarchy to be served, then it's likely it is too complicated for MT's implementation of DNS server, so there'll be a dedicated server (could be some rack-mounted Athom box running linux) and I'll try to (ab)use it for other infastructure-related stuff (e.g. DHCP server) ...
BR,
Metod

RackKing
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:35 pm

My view: DHCP server and DNS server are L3. If I'm in charge of L3 part of network infrastructure (i.e. address space allocation, perhaps some LAN DNS services[*]), then I'll request to deal with those services exclusively (doesn't matter if it's service running on top of some core router or dedicated server). If L3 part is somebody else's responsibility it's up to them to decide do they want my hand or not. If not, then I just request a handful of addresses for LAN management purpose (if a separate management VLAN exists, then ... it's all mine :wink: ).

[*] If there's internal DNS hierarchy to be served, then it's likely it is too complicated for MT's implementation of DNS server, so there'll be a dedicated server (could be some rack-mounted Athom box running linux) and I'll try to (ab)use it for other infastructure-related stuff (e.g. DHCP server) ...

Thanks mkx - I like you thinking. As you can tell from my original post, I am not very experienced at administering HDCP on windows server. It is not terribly hard, but feels wonky. Setting up HDCP options makes more sense to my small mind. So for me, "dealing with it exclusively" is going to mean on the router. I probably need to educate myself when that other solution makes sense.

Roger that on the management vlan.

DNS: I rethought my original post with regard to DNS. I think you are spot on.

Again - thank you. Your thoughts are always very valuable.

pcunite
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:19 pm

You should absolutely not push to control DNS in a Windows Active Directory environment. Not sure why you would want the headache. DNS is very important for Outlook clients for example. Do you know how to setup the resolution for Autodiscover? There are other topics no doubt too that we don't understand. Your job is to support their services and have everything in place to prove you're not the point of failure. Script the MikroTik to prove their infrastructure failures and become even more trusted.

neutronlaser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:22 pm

In a Windows domain, I let Windows server manage DHCP and DNS. Mikrotik isn't smart enough to even make DNS names with DHCP leases.

tippenring
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:39 pm

I manage all aspects of a network. Routers, switches, servers, video, VoIP, and pretty much anything else that gets an IP address.

If there is a real server (or servers) on the network, one or more will be handling DNS, DHCP, and pretty much any other client/server type of service.

Routers are quite capable at routing. That's what I prefer to use them for. The auxiliary services like DNS, DHCP, and anything else on the router are only necessary when a more appropriate host is not available.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:50 pm

You should absolutely not push to control DNS in a Windows Active Directory environment. Not sure why you would want the headache. DNS is very important for Outlook clients for example. Do you know how to setup the resolution for Autodiscover? There are other topics no doubt too that we don't understand. Your job is to support their services and have everything in place to prove you're not the point of failure. Script the MikroTik to prove their infrastructure failures and become even more trusted.

Not just for outlook clients, if your DNS is not good in AD setup, it will brake replication, etc. In an AD environment, use Windows for DHCP and DNS, they integrate with each other and serve a much bigger picture than just IP Addressing and Name resolution to browse the web, etc
MTCNA, MTCTCE, MTCRE & MTCINE

RackKing
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:44 pm

I manage all aspects of a network. Routers, switches, servers, video, VoIP, and pretty much anything else that gets an IP address.

If there is a real server (or servers) on the network, one or more will be handling DNS, DHCP, and pretty much any other client/server type of service.

Routers are quite capable at routing. That's what I prefer to use them for. The auxiliary services like DNS, DHCP, and anything else on the router are only necessary when a more appropriate host is not available.
Thanks for this. I also control and manage the network and specialize in Wi-Fi and do Vo-WiFi designs frequently. I also provide routers, switches, VoIP, APs, etc.... but I stop short of servers,radius or server support. AD/server support puts me too close to users which is not my forte.

RackKing
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm

Not just for outlook clients, if your DNS is not good in AD setup, it will brake replication, etc. In an AD environment, use Windows for DHCP and DNS, they integrate with each other and serve a much bigger picture than just IP Addressing and Name resolution to browse the web, etc

Thanks CZfan. I hear you and agree. I sometimes do not see that "bigger picture". It feels like AD server solutions are being used less and less in SMB and SME markets. Maybe this is just my perception and not reality.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:21 am

Remember that the less you do, the more you can blame the others and sell your services.
"DHCP isn't working? It's because I didn't do your AD server."
"You got a virus? It's because that guy sold you a bad firewall, buy one from me."
ImageImage