Community discussions

MikroTik App

sasha2002
just joined
Topic Author

Don't buy Mikrotik hardware! NO SUPPORT

Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:46 pm

Hi, I'm afraid to say this, but DON'T buy any hardware from Mikotik, NO SUPPORT AT ALL.

For more than a year problem with Mikrotik WAPac and WiFi clients with broadcom chipset.
Emailed a lot, given all necessary info, no results, last emails don't have any response!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Don't buy Mikrotik hardware! NO SUPPORT

Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:35 pm

Not my experience. I had issues with both my capACs, sent the supout report to tech support. They got back to me reasonably quickly and I carried out the necessary steps, in this case net install of firmware and was fixed up.

Based upon my limited experience, I would say the hardware seems fairly reliable (no dead units on delivery thus far) and the only real issues are my own config snafus!
The only thing I would caution against is buying the low end switches. I bought two and they are good for paperweights, and by that I mean not proper managed switches they are some weird twisted type of switch that I have not been able to successfully program and operate on my network. In other words they work and as advertised, I just havent been able to fathom as advertised. I have not tried the new SW OS 9 yet, but reading the fixes it doesnt say "Low end switches now work as proper managed switches" so I have not tried again. Perhaps SWOS 10 lol.

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:25 pm

Hi, I'm afraid to say this, but DON'T buy any hardware from Mikotik, NO SUPPORT AT ALL.

For more than a year problem with Mikrotik WAPac and WiFi clients with broadcom chipset.
Emailed a lot, given all necessary info, no results, last emails don't have any response!
You're probably using a wrong config, /export the config before complain

nichky
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:45 pm

have you have any plan to get some certifications . Maybe it will help you to build up your network.

Like Redmor said: export your config

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Have you tried Cisco's free support yet?????

sasha2002
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:05 am

Yeah, i know how sound this. Yes, config is not a problem! default config for WAPac and linux/windows PC with broadcom chipset have problem also. I'm certified Mikrotik user :)
The problem persist from one firmware to another, even if i send all necesary info to mikrotik support.

Cisco support is very .... this is why i intend to switch to ubiquity hardware and sell all mikrotik. From Ubiquity i've had a call in one hard case and we solve the problem!!!

sasha2002
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:11 am

You're probably using a wrong config, /export the config before complain
You can try by yourself, just find a broadcom wifi card and try to use it for a month, and you will be angry, as me! Sometimes is working good, but sometimes i lost internet, not connection to the WiFi, Route is ok,IP is ok, WiFi stay connected, from other PC on Winbox i'm logged into these two routers, and NO disconnections or any logs to understand what happens.

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:13 am

Ubiquiti is also 20-80% more expensive depending on the product, and the software management is a nightmare in some use cases, and nowhere near as flexible at the least.

You take the good with the bad in some cases. I use Mikrotik because of the flexibility and pricing. I also understand that my pay-off for this is not having proper TAC like Cisco so I plan accordingly.

They cant attend to every bug as a top priority - yours may have been logged and is in the list to try and fix, but doesnt mean its going to be the very next firmware release, it may take some time. Depends if its a widespread issue, or if its able to be replicated etc. It may not be as bad or widespread as you think.

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:20 am

this is why i intend to switch to ubiquity hardware and sell all mikrotik. From Ubiquity i've had a call in one hard case and we solve the problem!!!
Yea yea.. UBNT :D Let me tell you story about cloudkey and power failures: Time gets lost, NTP sync gets stuck. Sync does not work even if corresponding daemon gets restarted. Without correct time, auto-backups are not working, notification emails may get refused (because timestamp is too far in past)....
Official support answer: "unexpected shutdown or forced shutdown can create issues with services which runs on UCK"
Suggested solution: "reset to factory defaults and restore from backup".

Still wanna switch? :)

sup5

Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:44 am

I am sitting between the chairs with Mikrotik Hard- and Software:

On the one hand I get an extremely flexible and cheap product. Also software updates are regulary and bugs are often resolvend in a manner of weeks (occurence of the bugfix in rc)

On the other hand the quality of Hard- and Software seem to suck in certain areas. Also some issues seem to never get resolved (i.e. ARM wireless), Wifi throughput in general, IPSec throughput issues and the like.

So what to do? If you can forgo the extreme flexibilty of mikrotik and need good Hard- and Software stability go for refurbished Cisco products. They are much cheaper than you might think.
Example: 48Port Cisco Catalyst 3750G with advanced Layer-3 routing features for approx 500 Euros. Never had an issue with these. Plus: they are stackable ;-)

Sarel0092

Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:55 pm

DON'T buy any hardware from Mikotik, NO SUPPORT AT ALL.
I agree, but only when it comes to their RBSXTLTE3-7 and RBwAPR-2nD&R11e-LTE.

I've been talking to their support about the routers loosing LTE connection and can't reconnect. All their support stopped end of 2018.

Makes me wonder if its their new years resolution to not provide support.

ste
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm

Yeah, i know how sound this. Yes, config is not a problem! default config for WAPac and linux/windows PC with broadcom chipset have problem also. I'm certified Mikrotik user :)
The problem persist from one firmware to another, even if i send all necesary info to mikrotik support.

Cisco support is very .... this is why i intend to switch to ubiquity hardware and sell all mikrotik. From Ubiquity i've had a call in one hard case and we solve the problem!!!
Realy? If it is a simple user bug they may help. If it is a hw/sw bug it may need some more betas ...

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:30 pm

We have in our network around 1000 Cisco 3650 + other cisco sfuff.
In over two year we have had large problems with software for the 3650 switcher.
For every new version, there are some other stuff that's break.
Fan on the short 3650 starts spinning up to max after some weeks.
Every time we escalate a problem with Cisco, it looks like we are the first in the world.
We have been given several bata version and patches to add to beta, but still new bugs.
For every new software, on to two reboot with downtime.
8-10 minutes to boot and with Wifi access point connected to Poe, 8-10 more minutes of downtime.
It may have to do with Cisco go to Linux software from their own software some years ago.
Image on switches increased from around 20-30MB to 500MB.....
So Cisco have their problems too.

Mikrotik it one of the best boxes you can get for very little money,
Not perfect in any way, but who is....

Redmor
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:46 pm

I've been talking to their support about the routers loosing LTE connection and can't reconnect. All their support stopped end of 2018.

I'm trying to replicate this issue, but when I monitor a wAP it stays up for months, I've solved with good old watchdog to 8.8.8.8

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:13 pm

We have in our network around 1000 Cisco 3650 + other cisco sfuff.
In over two year we have had large problems with software for the 3650 switcher.
For every new version, there are some other stuff that's break.
Fan on the short 3650 starts spinning up to max after some weeks.
Every time we escalate a problem with Cisco, it looks like we are the first in the world.
We have been given several bata version and patches to add to beta, but still new bugs.
For every new software, on to two reboot with downtime.
8-10 minutes to boot and with Wifi access point connected to Poe, 8-10 more minutes of downtime.
It may have to do with Cisco go to Linux software from their own software some years ago.
Image on switches increased from around 20-30MB to 500MB.....
So Cisco have their problems too.

Mikrotik it one of the best boxes you can get for very little money,
Not perfect in any way, but who is....
Amen brother, I think we are two of the most flawed posters here LOL

sasha2002
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:21 pm

I'm trying to replicate this issue, but when I monitor a wAP it stays up for months, I've solved with good old watchdog to 8.8.8.8
Problem persist on WAPac old and new, i have different. And problem occur randomly at one day it can happens 5--7 times a hour, or one time at all day. I've tried to understand why this happens but can't figure. It happens just on laptops/PC that have broadcom chipset, other laptop/PC connected to the same AP doesn't have any issues.
And another bug that on new version of WAPac if i choose to have a guest wifi it have same MAC,same SSID(not on mikrotik but on WiFi clients).
Yeah i know how Cisco support works, and how long it takes when you need a small fix/patch, it's take near a month even if you have subscription with response time 1-2 hours :D
For now Ubiquity for our settings works as a charm, no bugs or other problem. We tried to make a bridge with this two hardware(mikdrotik and Ubiquity) but no luck.

dlynes

Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:01 pm

I've been MikroTik networking gear for close to 10 years now. I've never once had a bad experience with their support. They respond pretty quick.

The support is orders of magnitude better than Ubiquiti. As others have said, make sure you provided an exported config (/export hide-sensitive file=myexportedfilename) and a supout.rif file. You can then drag the resulting files from the file window in winbox to Windows file explorer before uploading them to the MikroTik support website.

Even before I get to MikroTik, I have the best distributor in the world to lean on, https://wirelessnetware.ca/. The owner, Hani goes above and beyond, is super knowledgeable on MikroTik routers and switches (and networking in general...he had several Cisco certs previously, but dropped Cisco when he realized how much more he loved MikroTik). If you're in Canada, definitely give Hani a call. You'll never look at any other networking gear ever again.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 5:23 pm

Not sure if this is a PR stunt or an honest a mistake, but this topic is over 4 years old.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:05 pm

My guess is a bit of PR :lol:

dlynes

Sun Apr 02, 2023 6:43 pm

No, not PR. More I saw a post about somebody dissing MikroTik and my experience has been anything but.

I figured it was an opportunity to mention how having the right distributor can make all the difference, too.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:33 pm

PR stunt then, why else reply to a 4 year old thread.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 8:49 pm

Exactly, I knew people from Hamilton were boring, but to troll a thread from 2019............ thats almost the bottom of the barrell.

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:14 pm

[...]
I figured it was an opportunity to mention how having the right distributor can make all the difference, too.
The place or guy you buy the MikroTik gear from makes no difference on how that hardware & software behaves. So I'll respectfully don't agree with you here.
As long as you buy the hardware from official distributors that is. And your guy Hani isn't the only "dealer" in Canada.

dlynes

Mon Apr 03, 2023 12:31 am

No, it does not. You're correct. I was just saying a good distributor that backs up the product line helps a great deal.

There's at least three other distributors in Canada that I know of. One of them I order from once in a while if I need to make a shipment to Vancouver and Netwire's sold out.