kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Ether bonding strange solution

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:13 am

Hi
hope you all are good.

I have a strange question, because i have a strange situation.

I need to know if I am doing it right.
There is some place where I cannot run fiber. and the data that needs to go is more than 1.5 gbps (video files need to be transferred). Again, fiber is not a choice for me unfortunately.

Please check the attached picture. I am planning to use HEX GR3.

Moreover, how about bridging on top of bondings to make them act like a switch?

Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ether bonding strange solution

Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 am

When it comes to bonding you should be aware that single IP connection won't be able to use more than one physical link from a bond. Depending on bond setup it might happen that all IP connections between single pair of hosts (i.e. one client, one server) will share single physical link from a bond.

OTOH, after you construct a bond, the bond device acts similarly to any other interface (so it's can be a member of a bridge).

Beware that bonding is a CPU-only functionality on hEX and can not be HW offloaded. Meaning that even if CPU is capable of pushing around those gigabits, the CPU-ether ports interconnect will be a bottleneck (that's 2x1Gbps full duplex) ... you'll have to consult block diagram to make the best out of the tiny device.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:30 pm

Thank you for your reply.

I am going to test something, I will reply back.

By the way, is it possible to daisy chain the "cAP ac"
Not for providing power, but to forward data?

Any one has any idea about it ?

Regards

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:43 pm

cAP ac has a two-port ethernet switch built in ... so yes, daisy-chaining should be possible.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:53 pm

And CAP is also a router - not a switch, so i should be fine with 4 to 5 daisy chains as I am not forwarding much data.
Am i right?

cAP ac has a two-port ethernet switch built in ... so yes, daisy-chaining should be possible.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:56 am

And CAP is also a router - not a switch, so i should be fine with 4 to 5 daisy chains as I am not forwarding much data.
Am i right?

You are right. It's just questionable if you really need to route traffic in a daisy-chain config or switching is fine. This could well be an over-complication.
If you need to separate traffic of different cAPs, then using different VLANs should be enough. This includes also a management access.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:39 pm

Unfortunately, I wasnt able to get CAP AC in my part of the world. So what I am trying to do is,
couple Hex with Unifi AP AC.

I will daisy chain 4 HEX and connect Unifi with Hex.

I dont have much data to transfer, from the end router to the 1st one. The maximum peak I will reach will be 200mbps from the end router.

Any suggestion for me?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:55 pm

Why do you want to have bonded interfaces? Single gigabit connection is enough for 200Mbps peak traffic even if you daisy-chain up to 5 APs in a line.

And again: why do you think you need to route traffic? Many APs are not terribly good at routing, but most are capable of wirespeed switching.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:31 pm

Thank you for your reply.

Yes you are right.
No, now I am not going with ether-bonding now as the data isnt much.
However, I kind of need help in daisy chaining the HEX. is it possible?

Including a mikrotik router will have many advantages for me in the long run, so I cant just settle with an AP.

any resource you can show me on daisy chaining the hex?

regards,

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:35 pm

By daisy chain I actually mean to switch data on wire speed, not pass power via hex. apologies if I caused misunderstanding.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:06 pm

So you need to transform hEX units to simple switches ... the easiest way would be to reset without config, then connect using Winbox via MAC, create single bridge and add all 5 ether ports. Add IP address to bridge (needed for management ... either static address or run DHCP client on bridge). Then use any port to connect "uplink" and any port for "downlink" and any port for AP.

If you're still thinking about transforming links to bonds: I don't think hEX are good devices for that, their internal wiring actually doesn't allow for much more than 1Gbps traffic (unless you design your bonds really carefully) and then the CPU will definitely become a bottleneck.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:22 pm

Thanks for that.

How about I create a bridge of just 2 ports. 3rd port will be connected to the AP. The AP will run a hotspot to only allow the specific user.
Suppose the Hex in middle, the user pc will fetch data from the server via port 1, other ports in the bridge will switch the data for the next hex.

Whats your say on that ?

Regards

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:30 pm

If you want to run L3 services (hotspot, DHCP server, firewall, ...) for APs on each hEX, then your idea is right.

It is more usual to have L3 services centralized as it largely simplifies management though.

kanuns
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:11 pm

Thanks

Check the diagram. So this is what I want? the port on which the AP is attached is running hotspot. Bridge is just passing data to and from server.
Please do comment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mistry7
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:22 am

I would go with this solution:

https://mikrotik.com/product/s_rj10

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:01 am

Check the diagram. So this is what I want?

Seems fine to me.