Community discussions

MikroTik App

Kindis
Topic Author

Ring hardware and Mikrotik

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:14 pm

Hello,

Just bought a Ring Doorbell 2 and a Ring Chime and I'm having a very hard time getting it to work on my wAP AC devices.
The Doorbell connects but had a lot of issues connecting an loosing connection all the time.
The Chime on the other hand do not connect at all. I get unicast key exchange timeout. So after a lot of troubleshooting I changed the password to a none complex code and it connected during setup! But after that it was online for about 30 seconds downloading an update and then it just died. In the log I see Recevied deauth: unspecified (1)
Had to reset the device to get it up again. I then connected the device to my ISP router at home and it worked like a charm! No issues what so freaking ever.

Have anyone gotten Ring hardware to work with Mikrotik equipment and in that case what is the secret sauce to get it to work.

markmcn
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Ring hardware and Mikrotik  [SOLVED]

Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:18 pm

On the wireless security profile, Try increasing the group-key-update time from 5min(Default) to 1Hr.
Alot of domestic routers / hardware use 1Hr as their default value for this parameter.
I had issues with other IOT devices and found this a big help

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Ring hardware and Mikrotik

Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:06 am

I have a hAP AC2 running as just a wireless access point. I have a ring connected to it on 5.0 Ghz. No real problems keeping it connected. I have the group key at 5 mins. WPA2 AES. Its been on for about 45 days now.

Kindis
Topic Author

Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:25 am

Hello,

Group key did the trick for the Chime! I tried this before but then I had a 20 characters long and that did not work!
Now I have 8 and set the group key to 1 hours and it works like a charm, well at least for 10 min now! :-)
What is the recommended group key update interval. I have always just left this to default as I have not had any issues what so ever before!

Update: Forgot to say but my Ring Doorbell 2 decided to stop working all together so I had to return it and get a new one. Battery i charging so I know more tonight about that one but as the last one died my guess it had a hardware issue!

Micropower

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:38 am

I'm using CAPSMAN and set Group-key-update to 01:00:00 and have had no luck with 2 doorbells.
aes and WAP WPA2 on with now a shorter 8 character password. No issues connecting with any other device.
Anyone else have experience? The device says has a problem connecting to the Internet. Seems like its choking on the password.
Only thing I know to do is get a different brand AP just for this device.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:19 am

I'm using CAPSMAN and set Group-key-update to 01:00:00 and have had no luck with 2 doorbells.
aes and WAP WPA2 on with now a shorter 8 character password. No issues connecting with any other device.
Anyone else have experience? The device says has a problem connecting to the Internet. Seems like its choking on the password.
Do the work... It can probably be figured out.

Kindis
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:54 am

Most common issue is signal strength would guess. Have you tested them only mounted or indoor close to the AP?
The biggest issue for me was the Chime and not the Doorbell 2. The Doorbell did connect with 20 character long password and group key update set to 5 min.
What does the Doorbell say or does it just try to connect without being successful?
Also I should say that the 8 character long password is none complex.

Vovgan
just joined

Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:47 am

Sorry for bringing up old post, but I'm also having an issue connecting the Ring Stick-up Camera - it keeps on saying 'no internet connection'. This must be some kind of configuration issue with the router. It's definitely not a WiFi configuration issue, since I've tried connecting a separate non-Mikrotik access point to the router and I'm having the same problem. As soon as I use a TP-Link router, it connects without problems. Has anyone figured out the problem?

AlfaGulf
just joined

Fri Nov 04, 2022 1:07 pm

SOLVED!!
As I am setting up my new Ring Stick-up camera, I kept getting "Setup did not complete, check your internet connection" voice message. I tried resetting the camera and changing access points but that did not make any difference.
I then did packet sniffing and realized my problem may be related to wrong MTU value.
Sure enough, I found my wireless WAN port in my Mikrotik router was set to MTU=1422 and my LAN ethernet port was set to MTU=1500.
So as soon as I changed my WAN port to MTU=1500 it worked , and I successfully completed the camera setup.

May this post help others facing this problem.

Best regards,
Sabah

Znevna
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:20 pm

That shouldn't cause issues unless the rest of your config is messed up too.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:30 pm

1422, sounds like you were playing with MTU settings previously, its not a default setting..........hence the router is not the problem???
Concur with znevna