Community discussions

MikroTik App

ErfanDL
Topic Author

WireGuard Released !

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am

When mikrotik releasing the wireguard? All platform released that !!!!!

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... buts-macOS

Sent from my C6833 using Tapatalk

Last edited by ErfanDL on Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: WireGuard Released !

Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:43 am

I think you did not read until the end
On the Linux kernel front for the long-awaited mainlining of the WireGuard kernel bits, there is unfortunately nothing new to report. It doesn't look like WireGuard will be merged for Linux 5.1 as the code has yet to be staged in net-next. When I asked Donenfeld about it on Saturday, he said he expects to have a new revision of those patches available for review soon and that work is happening behind the scenes.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:10 am

quoting OP:
All platform released that !!!!!
vs
quoting article which OP linked:
But sadly on the Linux front, the kernel bits still have yet to be mainlined.
Windows client is still on its way but is taking a while due to writing a new TUN driver for Windows 7 and newer.
lets summarize it:
  • Specs are subject to change and whole code is in experimental stage (source: https://www.wireguard.com/#work-in-progress )
  • Author of WireGuard released client for iOS and macOS only. (minor mobile and desktop platforms)
  • There is no stable client for windows (major desktop platform)
  • There is no stable client for linux (major mobile and server platform)
  • All clients are so far developed by author of WireGuard, not by platform developers itself so there is no native implementation in any of systems.
  • In reality it is a one-man project which means if Jason gets bored, the project is dead.
  • Jason even owns a trademark on logo and name! That is so typical for "start free, become paid" platforms...
So in the end, you want mikrotik staff to implement a platform, which is officially considered to be in experimental stage, therefore will be outdated within couple of weeks or months (and will require developers attention to fix it again), It can bring hidden fees at any single time due to trademarked name or can disappear anytime if author decides to do something else?

I really like all things promised by wireguard but we really don't need another unstable attempt for tunnel, which will deplete resources of developers even more. We didn't even got an OpenVPN over UTP yet. EoIP crashes whenever it transmits an STP frame. ROMON is not stable when it runs through VPLS or EoIP on CHR, bridged VLANs don't really work on CHR, Whole CCR1072 will freeze in when src-nat runs out of available ports... I could go on but I think you already got my point - I don't think we should ask for another unstable technology.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:54 pm

We didn't even got an OpenVPN over UTP yet.
That's not true! I personally used MikroTik's OpenVPN over UTP...

... at least Cat 5E and Cat6, also S/FTP and possibly others, various 802.11something, even 10BASE2 coax, I think. And yes, I know it's childish joke. :)

But on topic, once WireGuard makes in into Linux kernel, most of your concerns should go away. As I understand it, lot of people like it, so it won't die. And they won't let it in if it's not under GPL.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

R1CH
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

Just because it isn't mainlined doesn't mean it isn't available. I've been using it in production for months via DKMS and I'm very happy with it. There are open source Windows clients available, performance is great and setup is so refreshingly easy compared to something like IPSec. And it's actually built to only use secure crypto, unlike many options in Mikrotik which allow (or even require for HW accel) deprecated or obsolete ciphers.

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:20 pm

That's not true! I personally used MikroTik's OpenVPN over UTP...

... at least Cat 5E and Cat6, also S/FTP and possibly others, various 802.11something, even 10BASE2 coax, I think. And yes, I know it's childish joke. :)
You owe me 15 minutes of my life! :D I was looking for post from Normis where he confirmed there is no plan for such feature.
And of course, only after that I read your little text...

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:24 pm

@vecernik87: Sorry. :D But you should be looking for this much more interesting post.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:40 pm

I knew it! It will happen!
... and then the rest of bugs I mentioned plzzzz

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:56 pm

I knew it! It will happen!
... and then the rest of bugs I mentioned plzzzz
Its a promise for your grand children. 6.43.13, 6.43.14, 6.43.15.................................... 6.43.aa, 6.43.ab, 6.43.ac...........................................
6.44.1, ........6.44.aa
6.45.1,...........6.45.aa
6.001.1, ..................6.001.aa
6.999.1................6.999.aa....................6.999.aaa..........................6.999.aaaa
zzzzzzzzz 15 minutes......... more like 15 years LOL.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

pekr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

We use Veeam backup solution at work and today's newsletter was pointing to the following blog article. You will learn, why Veeam has switched to WireGuard. Seems like days of OpenVPN are over in maybe not so distant future ....

https://www.veeam.com/blog/veeam-pn-v2-wireguard.html

supadupa
just joined

Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:56 pm

As of today WireGuard is part of the Linux Kernel:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/ke ... 9d2857adfd
This should open the road for MikrotTik to easily integrate WireGuard into RouterOS.
Don't expect this to happen tomorrow.

dlynes
just joined

Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:10 am

As of today, it was released into Linux 5.6 kernel to the general public.
Automation Through Software: http://hammersoftware.ca/

Dude2048
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:27 pm

As of today (and a lot of days before) MikroTik is using the long term supported kernel (4.x) for Ros7. So it wil take a while.

pfavier
just joined

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:42 pm

Also highly interested in support for WireGuard ;-)
Kind regards,
Philippe.

lpt2007
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:43 pm

Any news about wireguard?

eworm
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:51 pm

Internal builds with wireguard support are rumored to exist.
Search the v7 section for details.
Manage RouterOS scripts and extend your devices' functionality: RouterOS Scripts

azazel
just joined

Fri May 08, 2020 4:43 pm

wait for wireguard