Community discussions

MikroTik App

irfanhamidi
just joined
Topic Author

Mikrotik RB951G USB Port

Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:41 pm

Hi
Recently I got a MikroTik RB951G-2Hnd Router, the product comes with a USB port which can be used for Printer, 3G Modem, Pen drive or etc..
I have a local area connection which all the computers are connected to the router through a 16-port switch. I want all the clients to save the data into one storage so I will use an external HDD which will be connected to the router. So, I will be awesome if one of you guys show me the best way to configure this feature. IRFAN HAMIDI

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik RB951G USB Port

Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:05 pm

The menu is under IP>SMB, you can create the share in there but for an honest opinion, it will be hideous to use. As it is USB2 based the transfer speed will be very slow and you'll have far less headache with a "real" NAS unit.

irfanhamidi
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Mikrotik RB951G USB Port

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:56 pm

The menu is under IP>SMB, you can create the share in there but for an honest opinion, it will be hideous to use. As it is USB2 based the transfer speed will be very slow and you'll have far less headache with a "real" NAS unit.
thanks for reply
question 1 the data that we will save are word and excel files does the speed will matter?
2 does the SMB menu will show the sub 3.0 HDD
3 will the shared disk will be discoverable on local area network
and at end I want to know the step by step configuration