free-hdd-space: 6.5MiB
total-hdd-space: 16.0MiB

write-sect-since-reboot: 2418
write-sect-total: 81280
bad-blocks: 0%
architecture-name: smips
board-name: hAP mini
platform: MikroTik

The problem is that i need to upgrade / or downgrade, but free hdd space is too small to upgrade or downgrade after upgrade to 6.43.
" installed-version: 6.43.4
latest-version: 6.42.12
status: ERROR: not enough disk space, 7.1MiB is required and only 6.4MiB is free"

How to proceed ? Howto extend free space with usb flash?

On February 2 a CVE issue was published, describing a vulnerability, which allows to proxy a TCP/UDP request through the routers Winbox port if it's open to the internet.

A fix has already been released on February 11, 2019 in all RouterOS release channels. Please keep your device up to date, and protect Winbox port from untrusted networks.

More information:
https://blog.mikrotik.com/security/cve- ... ility.html

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: hap Mini

Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:12 am

Do you have anything in the Files menu?
Do you have any separately installed packages, apart from routeros combined package in the Packages menu?
Have you configured logs / dude / other features that use disk space ?

lil0
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:28 pm

Do you have anything in the Files menu?
Do you have any separately installed packages, apart from routeros combined package in the Packages menu?
Have you configured logs / dude / other features that use disk space ?
Yes, i have 450Kb in files.
Without this files -- free space on device is on a "border" to upgrade, if Mikrotik added new future in OS, my routerboard can`t upgrade any more? Do you agree?

fbuster
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:40 pm

You can also consider installing through netinstall:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

BRMateus2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:48 am

To be honest, this shouldn't escalate to an last resort like netinstall - the small size is not good because does not allow to use all compatible features simultaneously, it's like installing Linux and only be able to execute X11 or Console(tty) but not both - it is damaging the brand, and SPI Flash (NOR Flash commonly) cost is small... 7$..

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:33 pm

To be honest, this shouldn't escalate to an last resort like netinstall - the small size is not good because does not allow to use all compatible features simultaneously, it's like installing Linux and only be able to execute X11 or Console(tty) but not both - it is damaging the brand, and SPI Flash (NOR Flash commonly) cost is small... 7$..
You realise that's a third of the price of the unit at RRP though? Damaging to the brand if it was a flagship product but not at the level it is.

Steveocee
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:35 pm

lil0's OP
The free space thing could be a problem, remove all packages you don't need. Remove all files you don't need (or at least back them up). Let's face it, do you need MPLS and BGP on this device? Probably not, be brutal, remove everything you don't need. I use a hAP Mini as a travel router and haven't had this issue.

Option 2. The vulnerability is if you expose Winbox to the wide open web. Call this a crazy solution but consider not exposing WInbox to the web. Use it internally and access via VPN, use SSH tunnelling or create a strict firewall rule that opens after port knocking or similar. Removes the need for upgrade if option 1 really doesn't go anywhere.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:41 pm

Isn't there ram disk on these devices? That's how the latest devices with only 16MB storage operate. There anything not under "/flash" is in memory.

sid5632
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:43 pm

I have a hAP Lite (amongst others) and it complained there was 7.2MiB free and it required 7.2MiB of space to do the upgrade. It failed to download.
There is no /flash on these units. Nor were there any files on it at all.
I had NO choice but to NetInstall it (this was going from 6.43.8 to 6.43.12 a week or two back) and upgrades had been an intermittent problem before that with marginal space available.
I used the unzipped Extra packages to do so and only installed the ones I needed from the main set (and two of them were corrupt, dhcp and ppp - great work, eh!).
This will hopefully give sufficient space to upgrade on-line now.
The all-in-one lump is a right nuisance on these space constrained devices. I don't know why MikroTik don't sort this out properly. Either put more storage on them, or install the separate packages at the factory and stop putting the problem on to the users.

BRMateus2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:05 am

You realise that's a third of the price of the unit at RRP though? Damaging to the brand if it was a flagship product but not at the level it is.
Well, if you buy in bulks, the price I saw was $2.88 for a 32MB (256MBit) NOR Flash from one of Kingston's manufacturers - I am not supposed to post those links for ethics, maybe.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:44 pm

Concur, when you buy a mini or 'lite' version, one should expect half an update LOL.
(in other words there should be mini or lite upgrade versions - split updates into standard lite (bare minimum required packages) and extra lite (contains only xtra packages)