Community discussions

MikroTik App

IvarHome
Topic Author

Taged and untaged to the same interface.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:33 pm

Hello!
I have one question. Im using RouterOS v6.43.12. I want to send out (egress) both untaged and taged traffic to the same interface (in bridge vlans section) by the same VLAN. So, I can then in other physical switch join this traffic to 2 different vlan groups. Can I do this? For ingress I anyway can use unlimited vlan (to send them all forward to destination untaged).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Taged and untaged to the same interface.

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:38 pm

Have you read the links provided from the other post?
The examples show how to setup a single bridge.
create vlans with the bridge as the interface and all required subnet type info (ip address, ip pool, dhcp server and dhcp-server network)
How to setup bridge ports
How to setup interface bridge vlans

Which device are you using and can you post your config so far what you have setup?
/export hide-sensitive file-yourconfigfeb27

IvarHome
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:56 pm

Have you read the links provided from the other post?
The examples show how to setup a single bridge.
create vlans with the bridge as the interface and all required subnet type info (ip address, ip pool, dhcp server and dhcp-server network)
How to setup bridge ports
How to setup interface bridge vlans

Which device are you using and can you post your config so far what you have setup?
/export hide-sensitive file-yourconfigfeb27

You dont get what I asked. I try to explain: Bridge --> VLANs ---> double click to some VLAN --> now there is screen where is written "Taged" and "Untaged". My question was - can I set there to both "taged" and "untaged" fields the same interface? .......You can answer - Yes or No. (Yes, I can set there the same interface / No, I cant set).

IvarHome
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:00 pm

The reason why I want to do this is to send out the same source traffic with taged and untaged, so in other physical switch I can join the same traffic with two different VLAN group.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:11 pm

With usual hardware switches I cant do this. There I can choose taged or untaged, but not both. But in RouterOS I find there is possibility to choose the same interface for both taged and untaged. I wasnt tried it in working system, in any case. But I see this possibility is there, I only wasnt pushed apply button right now. So, it looks like traffic switching not only between interfaces but also in the same interface. The same packets flow in the same interface doubled, separated by VLAN. Later, in other switch I can do with it what I want or separate them again.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:22 pm

Well without a diagram and without a config to look at its hard to understand what you want.
Thus I can only tell you my configuration.
I have two etheports for my LAN, eth2 and eth3,
Since eth2 goes to a managed switch and eth3 goes to a managed switch they are both trunk ports.
All the vlans running through these ports are tagged /interface bridge vlans........
the only thing untagged by default is the default pvid of 1.

If I used etherport 4 attached diretly to a device that was on vlanX, then I would
use the bridgeport setting to identify the ingress behaviour pvid=X accept only untagged frames
Use the interface bridge vlan to identify egress behaviour
tagged=bridge untagged=eth3 vlan-id=X

Therefore you need to know what a trunk port is and what an access port is and manage those appropriately for the MT unit and for any managed switches.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:58 pm

I have TP-Link managed switch (my central communication point). Behind it I have many ESXi hosts, physical firewalls, other computers. I set up my VLAN in a way where every single device have its own VLAN id. And also VM-s in ESXi-s. In ESXi I have NSX network and Mikrotik RouterOS VM. All traffic comes first through RouterOS and then goes through RouterOS virtual interfaces to special VM (through vDS, DLR bridge and logical switches). So, I can exactly control who can communicate with who, without matter of VLAN. All VLAN that interest me, RouterOS sends to VM-s untaged. Now every VM-s have also its own VLAN id and RouterOS send them out with taged. When VM communicate with other VM in the same ESXi host, RouterOS sends traffic to its virtual interface untaged (virtual interface have its own VLAN that dont influence at all with global VLANs, and ends untaged in both ends, other end is vDS portgroup). So, now I have even more specific need. When VM egress from ESXi host have its own VLAN id, I can resend traffic in my central physical switch to any port. To other ESXi host with taged and to some physical device untaged. But problem is now, still all physical switch ports dont have unique VLAN id, some still overlap. When I now send traffic to some port, the port becomes this VLAN member and other traffic in the same VLAN can now also send traffic to this port. This I dont want to let happen. But when I can send some VM traffic out from ESXi host with 2 different VLANs (taged and untaged and untaged becomes some VLAN through PVID), then I dont need to touch existing VLAN and dont need to add extra port to VLAN group. Instead I can use second VLAN and send it to required port in physical switch. Nobody else cant send traffic to this port. ......So, its for me _huge_ possibility enlargement by Mikrotik. No any other my known switch cant do this............Thats why I ask, "can I send from the same source, taged and untaged traffic to the same output/egress interface".

IvarHome
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:52 pm

So, seems you still dont know the answer to my question. First you told I must read manuals, but seems you havent readed it either.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:18 pm

Do you have a diagram to provide and also if available a config?

IvarHome
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:51 pm

Do you have a diagram to provide and also if available a config?

Why you interested about my diagram or config? Question is not at all about me and my configuration. Question is about RouterOS and its configuration. Imagine yourself as Mikrotik programmer and boss wants you to write manual for your programmed GUI. There is window, one field name is "taged" and other field name is "untaged". Now you write manual, describe what is "taged" and what is "untaged"....but, dont forget, maybe someone want to use both and set them the same interface name. So, what then happens? Is it bug or is it normal behaviour. Person who write manual must see all possible combinations.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:21 pm

Oh okay this is a theoretical discussion and you do not have a MT router and dont have a configuration and dont have a network.
Well then, ask your professor at school :-)
I have tagged and untagged vlans on ports on my MT
What you wont find is a single port serving a device which has to be on a vlan but is unable to tag traffic (ie a PC or printer) and thus is an access port. On this access port will not be any tagged traffic. mixed with the tagging of the PC traffic, otherwise it would no longer be an access port.
If I have a mix of untagged traffic and tagged traffic, that is done on a trunk port
MT does not do hybrid ports.

Showing a diagram and posting a config are forms of communication so as to better understand the problem.
Unfortunately due to my lack of experience I do not have a clue of what kind of functionality you are trying to config the router to do...........
So I ask for things that will help communicate your requirements.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:46 pm

Oh okay this is a theoretical discussion and you do not have a MT router and dont have a configuration and dont have a network.
Well then, ask your professor at school :-)
My professor dont work in Mikrotik.
What you wont find is a single port serving a device which has to be on a vlan but is unable to tag traffic (ie a PC or printer) and thus is an access port. On this access port will not be any tagged traffic. mixed with the tagging of the PC traffic, otherwise it would no longer be an access port.
If I have a mix of untagged traffic and tagged traffic, that is done on a trunk port
No, trunk port means any VLAN. Its different thing.

MT does not do hybrid ports.
Are you at all seen this bridge vlans windows? Look into it - there is possibility to set into taged and untaged egress the same interface.

Showing a diagram and posting a config are forms of communication so as to better understand the problem.
Unfortunately due to my lack of experience I do not have a clue of what kind of functionality you are trying to config the router to do...........
So I ask for things that will help communicate your requirements.

But you suggested me to read documentation. I expect you have readed it. And also I expect you have seen real RouterOS management web interface, bridge---> vlans window. I like myself documentations and I like when in documentation is also written about product, what is what. So, there is "taged" and "untaged" fields. I can set boths to the same interface. So, what it means?
Mikrotik is made this software, not I. I just asking what now happens. There is possibility to set them both to the same interface and I ask what now happens. Is this bug? Is this normal behaviour? Or RouterOS now makes BOOM and I must buy new RouterOS? What happens now?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:00 am

Hopefully you can find a mikrotik forum in your own country that speaks your language and/or find a trained person in your country and they can assist.
I quite frankly have not understood much of what your saying and without a diagram and a config I cannot help further

IvarHome
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:27 am

Hopefully you can find a mikrotik forum in your own country that speaks your language and/or find a trained person in your country and they can assist.
I quite frankly have not understood much of what your saying and without a diagram and a config I cannot help further

I am in Mikrotik forum right now. btw Mikrotik is not Canadian company, as I see you are from Canadia. Do you know from what country is Mikrotik? Its from Latvia and in Latvia dont speaked english. From Canada I dont know any brand except PolarisMail service (its very good).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:02 am

Well Im sure Latvia and Canada are very similar except your schnapps is way better whereas our Rye Whiskey is only to dream about in Latvia.
In that case you can probably visit MT and get better answers directly!!

IvarHome
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:27 am

Well Im sure Latvia and Canada are very similar except your schnapps is way better whereas our Rye Whiskey is only to dream about in Latvia.
In that case you can probably visit MT and get better answers directly!!

Latvia is better, they have Mikrotik. First time I seen you are from Canada.......Mikrotik forum admin from Canada, impossible.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:39 pm

My title says Guru, not Admin. Simple lesson in literacy.
Latvia I am sure is a beautiful country with friendly and warm people.
However, when the Russian Tanks come rolling over the horizon that will be gone in a flash, I am afraid and the world will lose another friend!
On a positive note, my driveway is big enough to accommodate a red car and I have a half bottle of Icelandic Schnapps I need help finishing. ;-)

IvarHome
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:48 pm

My title says Guru, not Admin. Simple lesson in literacy.
Latvia I am sure is a beautiful country with friendly and warm people.
However, when the Russian Tanks come rolling over the horizon that will be gone in a flash, I am afraid and the world will lose another friend!
On a positive note, my driveway is big enough to accommodate a red car and I have a half bottle of Icelandic Schnapps I need help finishing. ;-)

You are not guru. Guru know what happens when you send same source taged and untaged to the same interface. What is "guru" at all? What benefit "guru" can give me? Nothing....as I see in forum. But point is not even in there. The most important is logic (not hacking at all), stability, operative graphical overview and perfect documentation. I know Mikrotik documentation is not perfect. There almost not at all pictures of web GUI and no "tips" inside GUI. We dont live in past anymore. But no problems, surely they make it in future, it all takes time. I talk it because you suggested me to read documentation. There is no such talk in documentation, nothing about taged and untaged to the same interface. Surely I test this sometimes myselt. I just now dont have such requirement, but very soon I have. And I hope Mikrotik still allow me to send taged and untaged to the same interface. Because I dont see there any logical restrictions. And its huge technical possibilities enlargement, compared with all other brands switches. Its power feature.

I can refer here some Mikrotik unique features, not possible with other switches:
1) VLAN ID translation from one id number to ther (natural feature in SwOS by ACL and in RouterOS there it can be implemented with two bridges)
2) SNAT and DNAT for MAC addresses
3) this taged and untaged to the same interface
4) ingress filter for VLANs (this is implemented also by other brands but not in all) But example SwOS is very dynamic possibilities and all is implemented with GUI.
5) modular desing in L2 and L3, almost all can be completed by yourself fit, "out from one and in to other"
6) EoIP
.....of course there is much more to write here, only all you dont use in the same time

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:25 pm

I did not say I was a Guru in the definition sense, its what shows up next to my nick/avatar and I have no choice.
If they let me configure that or provide choices it would be KETBD "Knows enough to be Dangerous"

IvarHome
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:46 pm

I did not say I was a Guru in the definition sense, its what shows up next to my nick/avatar and I have no choice.
If they let me configure that or provide choices it would be KETBD "Knows enough to be Dangerous"

Why you want to be "dangerous"? I example dont. I believe you know enough .......only except to send taged and untaged to the same interface, this you dont know, all others...yes.

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:53 am

I don't know exactly what are you asking in this post. One port can be 'tagged' and 'untagged' at the same time for different VLAN-id. Hybrid port is the name. BUT not for the SAME VLAN-ID

A hybrid port can be useful in a construction where you have several nodes connected in a dumb switch (not vlan aware) and you need to use it for trunking and for access at the same time. In my opinion, finding it on a network is more a workaround or a patch that should be avoided.

Consider this scenario: R1 ether5 <-> ether4 R2 ether5 <-> dumb switch <-> ether4 R3

R1:
  • ether1 as acess port for VLAN10
  • ether2 as acess port for VLAN20
  • ether3 as acess port for VLAN30
  • ether4 and ether5 trunk port for VLAN 10. 20 and 30
R2:
  • ether4 trunk port for VLAN 10. 20 and 30
  • ether5 trunk port for VLAN 10, 20 and access port for VLAN 30 (hybrid port)
R3:
  • ether3 as acess port for VLAN30
  • ether4 and ether5 trunk port for VLAN 10. 20 and 30

Here you have the export for each router:
/system identity set name=R1
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1 vlan-filtering=yes
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether1 pvid=10
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2 pvid=20
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3 pvid=30
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether4
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether4,ether5 untagged=ether1 vlan-ids=10
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether4,ether5 untagged=ether2 vlan-ids=20
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether4,ether5 untagged=ether3 vlan-ids=30
Export for R2:
/system identity set name=R2
/interface bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether5 pvid=30
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether4 untagged=ether5 vlan-ids=30

Export for R3:
/system identity set name=R3
/interface bridge
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether3 pvid=30
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridge1 tagged=ether3 untagged=ether4,ether5 vlan-ids=30

If you connect a computer in dumb switch, it will be able to ping the computer connected on R1-ether3 BUT won't be able to ping the computer connected on R3-ether3. R3 can't receive tagged packets for vlan-id 30 because traffic egressing from R2 that belongs to vlan-id30 is untagged in ether5.

A port can't be at the same time tagged and untagged for the same vlan-id. For this scenario to 'work' it should be possible to do this on R2 (but it is not possible):

[admin@R2] > interface bridge vlan add bridge=bridge1 vlan-ids=30 tagged=ether4,ether5 untagged=ether5
failure: interface cannot be in tagged and untagged at the same time
So quoting what you asked:
You dont get what I asked. I try to explain: Bridge --> VLANs ---> double click to some VLAN --> now there is screen where is written "Taged" and "Untaged". My question was - can I set there to both "taged" and "untaged" fields the same interface? .......You can answer - Yes or No. (Yes, I can set there the same interface / No, I cant set).

I agree with Anav when he said... "you should explain what are you trying to get"... or maybe better, you can TRY it on a mikrotik so you would realise that "failure: interface cannot be in tagged and untagged at the same time"

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:00 pm

Let's go back to the topic.

No, AFAIK you can't have same frames sent out through same port both tagged and untagged. While you might be able to add same physical port as both tagged and untagged member of same VLAN, I highly doubt it'd work. But then it depends on implementation ... if bridge vlan-filtering is used, then it depends on implementation in software. If VLANs are configured on switch chip, then particular switch chip implementation matters. Some switch-chips untag frames on egress whenever VID is same as PVID (which is ingress setting) regardless other egress settings.

In short: you'll have to test if you can achieve what you want (but it's against the very basic VLAN idea so any proper VKAN inplementation won't allow it).

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:56 pm

I cant test it right now, working system. Maybe RouterOS goes crazy or L2 loop. I hope after some time here appears someone who have tested this. And when finds out, it still not possible, then this is one more "feature request". In other situations I all the time send taged and untaged to the same wire from the same source. I do it with two managed switch. First managed switch sends packets to two ports, one untaged and one taged. Two wires go to next managed switch and it sends both inputs to one output port. Return packets are not important, as I have all connections set up ingress and egress in different VLAN-s.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:59 pm

Mkx, you are only a Guru, not to be trusted. ;-) However mi amigo, a trainer no less, the smart one of the three of us, and I don't mean MT acument. I mean he wakes up every morning and smells the Med, can go downstairs around the block and have some fresh tortilla.............damn him. I have to go outside this morning and do round two of shovelling snow. :-)
Buenos jprietove.

Ivar, glad its working for you, and perhaps you should patent it. :-P

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:12 pm

And one more thing. As I see most of you dont use web GUI and therefore wasnt seen the window where you can set the same input, same vlan, both taged and untaged to the same interface. Why you dont use GUI. Command line was previous century....monkeys or something :-) Dont fear web GUI. In big systems, there is nothing to do with command line. Because you must see and show to others all the system configuration together, in one windows and instantly. And also todays GUI is not enough. I want to see it by graphical presentation of map with lines and boxes. In future maybe in hologram.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:57 pm

Call me monkey, but I can still do my job quicker using 10 fingers (yup, I can type) than using a pointer and a single button.

@anav: last week I'd be willing to pay good money to ship a few cubic kilometres of snow to the east Dolomiti. I'm affraid that business opportunity passed already ... I'm all ready for spring now that I'm done with my share of skiing ...

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Call me monkey, but I can still do my job quicker using 10 fingers (yup, I can type) than using a pointer and a single button.

No, you dont. The reason is simple. To perform some complicated operation, sometimes there needs to be entered 10, 20...more lines of commands. But GUI (programmed with C++ or C#)
can do all this job in microseconds.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Probably you now say - "not all are implemented in GUI". Yes, but usually I dont need it. 21.century there is lots of software programmed. Because all brands advertise "our software is simple as one-two-free". Because if one brand say "sorry, this is not implemented jet", then I can choose other brand that is implemented it. And that brand get more money. But some things are still unusual, non standard. Example my question here, in this topic. Its unusual only for Mikrotik, the same I can do with two managed switches already, question is only about Mikrotik. Now you say you can do "unusual things" or "non standard things". But what is reality. Reality is you cant, you even dont know what happens in this situation, you even havent tried it before. So, do I still need some non-standard configuration? I just buy two managed switch and do my job as I want, because you just dont know. Its not very marketing bonus.

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:53 pm

I think you should mark this as solved and forget about it. You asked a question, the answer is simply "no, you can't" and I really don't know why are we still feeding the yroll

Enviado desde mi Redmi 3 mediante Tapatalk

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:00 pm

I think you should mark this as solved and forget about it. You asked a question, the answer is simply "no, you can't" and I really don't know why are we still feeding the yroll

Are you sure it cant be implemented? Are you at all tried it? You just dont know. So, dont speak when you dont know.

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Taged and untaged to the same interface.  [SOLVED]

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:16 pm

[admin@R2] > interface bridge vlan add bridge=bridge1 vlan-ids=30 tagged=ether4,ether5 untagged=ether5

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:34 pm

Thank you, this was just that I wanted to know. So, it goes now to "feature request" area.

jprietove
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:44 pm

I posted this on my previous answer. Clearly you didn't read it

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:15 pm

I posted this on my previous answer. Clearly you didn't read it

Yes, you right, but usually I dont read command-line commands. I dont have time for this. Mikrotik have graphical web GUI and this is all that interest me, no more.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:17 pm

If you are the typical Latvian person, you have successfully removed any motivation to visit there. :-(

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:12 pm

If you are the typical Latvian person, you have successfully removed any motivation to visit there. :-(
Im not from Latvia, Im from Estonia.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 pm

Well that explains it! According to a comedy show I watched, Estonians have evolved little since Neaderthal man.
(At least thats what I heard a Latvian Comedian say). He also said something about the great beaches you have (of rock)!

By the way I took a look at your post in the correct forum. It is a horrible post that is hard to understand.
I highly recommend you provide a nice clear diagram which should help in getting responses and interest.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:59 pm

Well that explains it! According to a comedy show I watched, Estonians have evolved little since Neaderthal man.
(At least thats what I heard a Latvian Comedian say). He also said something about the great beaches you have (of rock)!

By the way I took a look at your post in the correct forum. It is a horrible post that is hard to understand.
I highly recommend you provide a nice clear diagram which should help in getting responses and interest.

Yes, diagrams and not command line. You start getting the point. Command line is for monkeys. Like using stones to kill some animal for food.......Im using most of the time vCenter, TP-Link switch, PaloAlto, Sophos, Zerto, Veeam, BackupExec, Acronis etc. In most of the time there is nothing to do with command-line, only sometimes.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:20 pm

No it has nothing to do with CLI, it has everything to do with the ability to communicate ideas clearly.
Suggest you use google translate as I am sure in Estonian you can articulate your points much more precisely.
A diagram is universal and does not rely on language.
Winbox-Mikrotik notation is universal and does not rely on knowing french or Spanish!
Diagram and config as I stated from the beginning would help because your attempts to use the written word are failing.

IvarHome
Topic Author

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:29 pm

No it has nothing to do with CLI, it has everything to do with the ability to communicate ideas clearly.
Suggest you use google translate as I am sure in Estonian you can articulate your points much more precisely.
A diagram is universal and does not rely on language.
Winbox-Mikrotik notation is universal and does not rely on knowing french or Spanish!
Diagram and config as I stated from the beginning would help because your attempts to use the written word are failing.

Still dont get what is this your "diagram". Maybe in Estonia dont have this? :-) And I dont use Winbox, I use web GUI.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:11 pm

No, you dont. The reason is simple. To perform some complicated operation, sometimes there needs to be entered 10, 20...more lines of commands. But GUI (programmed with C++ or C#)
can do all this job in microseconds.

Right ... :roll: