Community discussions

sniper88
just joined
Topic Author

RoMON function

Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:52 pm

Hello,
someone can help me about a RoMON config in Mikrotik?
I have a Mikrotik as firewall linked to a another Mikotik Access Point with a switch HPE OfficeConnect Switch 1920S 24G 2SFP JL381A. The firewall has a dhcp server on ether2 and is linked in he switch. Also the fw has the ether4 with 1 vlan linked in another port in the switch with another dhcp server (for vlan). Al dhcp server and vlan are managed with the bridge config, so for example i have created a vlan (on ether4) and then a bridge called bridge-vlan with the vlan created before into.
The AP has 2 dhcp client and receive the ip from the lan (ether2) and the vlan net (ether4 from fw).
I configured the switch to manage the vlan, and the AP have the 2 ips correctly.
My question is... why the RoMON service doesn't work?
PS: If I connect directly the AP for example at the ether3 of the fw the romon works.
Someone have any idea?
Seem that the switch doesn't pass the romon packets, but all networks work great.
Thanks.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: RoMON function

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:16 pm

Wow, that description begs for a clarifying diagram!!
What are your romon settings so far?
on the router and on the access point (dont use real entries just replace them with others)

my assumption is that one puts an ID of your choice on the router, creates a secret word.
then go to access point put in an ID or accept the default and put in the SAME secret word.

On the router block wan connections, (external interface) enable lan connections
on access point block external connections wan enable lan connections
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

nickshore

Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

You may need to check any filtering settings on the switch.

It sounds like the switch is filtering all packets in 01:80:c2:00 rather than just the range which is supposed to be excluded.

Only this part should be filtered 01-80-C2-00-00-00 to 01-80-C2-00-00-0F

Regards
Nick
Nick Shore MTCNA MTCWE MTCRE MTCINE MTCTCE
LinITX.com - MultiThread Consultants
Get your MikroTik RBs and Training: http://linitx.com/brand/mikrotik
Official UK MikroTik Distributor
IRC chan: #routerboard on irc.z.je (IPv4 and IPv6)

glat
just joined

Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:29 pm

Same here by using an HP switch 1920S. They filters wrong, but there's no settings about filtering. Anyone knows a workaround?