Community discussions

elbolaget
just joined
Topic Author

Topology for cotteges

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:34 pm

Hello, and thank you everybody for the good help we can get from here :)

Is Anyone have a good tip on building an "ISP" topology for a Camp yard with around 50 Cottages.

I Will have a Router of some kind in the Reception, and then a copper Cat6 to 5 places/"Islands" in daisy chain. So it will be a 24 port SwOS switch in every Island and from there a Cat.6 copper to every cottage.

Every Cottage will have some kind of minirouter for example Hap aclite, and must be isolated to each other to have there own network.

Will it work with an RB760iGS as "headrouter", and then set an adress scope for example 10.0.0.1/24 and then set static IP on every router in cottage? or is it too bad hardware to fix the bandwith? I will set Simple queues on every IP to Limit maximum bandwith to 30 Mbit was my thoughts.

Or is there any other kind of simple way to handle this?!

Or do I have to have VLANs for this setup?
topology1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Topology for cotteges

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:43 pm

I wish I knew more about hotspot manager for example.
It may make sense to use that functionality before anything else.
It also may make sense for each Swos actually to run in router mode so each group of cabins has hotspot functionality of its own???.
But that is all speculation. Interesting project.
One issue I see is that each cabin to have wifi is going to be difficult to manage unless you turn the power down and use non-conflicting channels.
Were you going to provide 5ac only or 5ac and 2.4ghz networks??
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

elbolaget
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:57 pm

every "mini-router" will be preconfiguered with SSID name of the Cottage with only 2,4Ghz band with static frequens and low power, and ofcause different channels on cottages next to each other.

Hotspots? is that really nessesary?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:03 pm

its is one option that is all.
The other is all subnets and another is all VLANs etc etc.

There may be potential bottlenecks and more efficient ways of doing business.
For example if we can get each group of cabins to conduct much of the networking, that leaves only internet traffic between the cabins and the main router.
Vice loading the main router with all functions........

Is the cat6 buried, on poles etc............
Why not use fiber between cabins........

I am no expert just thinking out loud.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

muetzekoeln
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:18 pm

You really should build a ring topology by connecting the last cottage switch back to the router. This way you have some redundancy for your "backbone". Of course you have to run some kind of dynamic routing protocol to make good use of it and prevent loops. For layer 2 infrastructure this would be (R/M)STP, for layer 3 I suggest OSPF.

solar77

Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 pm

we have done similar projects, using both Ubiquiti products and mikrotik, and combination of both. Here is my contribution:

1. if you have the option, go with fibre. search posts here for reasons but when you do a new install and running cables anyway, use fibre.

2.lets focus on Mikrotik, you can use switches in each node and smaller Mikrotik in each cottege. depending on the size, internal structure, how much of the cottege you have to cover, how many devices you expect guests to connect to. what speed you expect to provide (not only now, but in 3 -5 years time), what else you want to connect to the network, IOT, VOIP phones, Smart TV, CCTV cameras etc. etc. all these factors contribute to your selection of Access Point.

3. network management, you want to control bandwidth, there are two ways: Hotspot, or PPPoE. first suits more for hotels, holiday resort where you have frequent turn over. 2nd one is more of holiday rental, appartments. both option can manage bandwidth with ease and both can be setup from the core mikrotik without the need of 3rd party software / hardware. Both options provide client isolation. Yes you can apply simple queue to start with. PCQ would be the way to do it was you only need one rule and it apply to all internal connections.

4. selection of core router, this depends on the bandwidth it has to manage, and whatelse it has to do, apart from been a router / firewall.

5. no need for VLAN unless you need staff / office SSID, or have other systems uses the network like IOT, phones, cameras etc.
MTCNA MTCTCE UEWA

elbolaget
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 pm

its is one option that is all.
The other is all subnets and another is all VLANs etc etc.

There may be potential bottlenecks and more efficient ways of doing business.
For example if we can get each group of cabins to conduct much of the networking, that leaves only internet traffic between the cabins and the main router.
Vice loading the main router with all functions........

Is the cat6 buried, on poles etc............
Why not use fiber between cabins........

I am no expert just thinking out loud.
Cat.6 is buried....I will use existing cat6 cables from a earlier installation of WiFi outdoor access points and make them the Cabins/Islands with switch instead.

neutronlaser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:26 pm

Just put it all on one network, it'll be fine.

nikan70
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:42 am

Hi, thanks for your help I did and my problem was resolved