MikroTik App

DicDS
just joined
Topic Author

Graphical interface

Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:01 pm

I did not find a similar topic.
Question to the developers.
Thank you for doing a good job. we use Mikrotik equipment for working with sound in theaters and concert halls
Can you make a graphical interface for those who are not very good at customizing?
with foolproof.
so that when you click open the settings.
as in the picture below (picture for example)
then it would be easier for us)))
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jotne
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Graphical interface

Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:58 am

This is some I like too. I did use Visio to make som VLAN layout to get to understand how it works here:
viewtopic.php?t=138232

One thing I do see that there are endless of configuration possibilities, so to get all included in a graphical interface and to be understandable may be a challenge.

How to use Splunk to monitor your MikroTik Router(s)

MikroTik->Splunk

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2019 7:23 pm

It looks to me as something that would be going against what RouterOS is. Currently it's a system that gives you almost unlimited choices, tons of different options, etc. Described graphical interface sounds like complete opposite of that. I'm not saying that it would be bad, I'm sure you'd find people who would like it, but it's different system.

There already is an attempt to make things easier (Quick Set). And it's, well, not that great. I'm obviously biased, but it's limited in what it allows you to do, and it's problematic when you need a little bit more than it offers. You can still configure anything outside of it, but any following change (done in Quick Set) is likely to ruin it. And this graphical thing would be no different.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:35 pm

Normally a GUI can be either simple to use or cover all the possibilities of the system it is used to control, never both. Most are far too complex and still don't cover all possibilities. Mikrotik's one covers all possibilities and is appropriately complex.

What might be interesting would be some kind of an external application converting drawings similar to ones you've suggested into configuration commands. But that simple drawing where ether1 and ether2 are member ports of a bridge named bridge already lacks the possibility to choose whether the bridge should make use of the "hardware acceleration" or not, as well as to set all the other options related to the bridge and to its member ports. And as soon as the user has to set a couple of checkboxes, a couple of drop-down menus, and fill in some free text fields, he quickly becomes as lost as with the regular GUI available in Winbox and/or WebFig. So you'd have to define the parameters of the environment which never change in your application scenarios and make them be set that way automatically, with no possibility to change any of them. Default settings of the values are no option, people who don't know exactly what they're doing tend to start clicking various settings if things don't go the way they expect them to, in hope that it will fix the problem, but actually causing even more mess.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

BRMateus2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:49 am

Such a "simple software" of drawing and translating into scripts is very time consuming to produce, and will be very limited in settings available considering how time consuming it is - even more, only a few people will use it, as Quick set itself is enough for many new-to-networking users - it would be better to improve the already in place Quick set, but I have no sugestions for improvements.