Community discussions

MikroTik App

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Load Balancing - Backup route.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:53 am

I have an ADSL connection and a Satellite link as backup on standbye.
(Satellite date paid per MB!)

How to arrange that normall all traffic flows to ADSL and only shift to Satellite link in case ADSL is down. (And back if it comes back.)

Can this be arranged with Mangle? But how to find the argument to tell the router a gateway is down so traffic should start flowing to other gateway.
The gateways can be pinged to see if they are up but how to make this a decisive argument in the mangle rules?

Off course I have a router with 3 eth. interfaces.

Can anybody help me in this?

danailpetrov
just joined

Re: Load Balancing - Backup route.

Fri Mar 23, 2007 11:22 am

I have an ADSL connection and a Satellite link as backup on standbye.
(Satellite date paid per MB!)

How to arrange that normall all traffic flows to ADSL and only shift to Satellite link in case ADSL is down. (And back if it comes back.)

Can this be arranged with Mangle? But how to find the argument to tell the router a gateway is down so traffic should start flowing to other gateway.
The gateways can be pinged to see if they are up but how to make this a decisive argument in the mangle rules?

Off course I have a router with 3 eth. interfaces.

Can anybody help me in this?
Hello,
the best think you can do in this situation , is to implement BGP with your (both) upstream providers. To this end you need Autonomous System registered in RIPE (if your network is located in Europe) and at least one /24 (PA or PI) logical IP addresses. Ask your provider , if they are LIR (Local Internet Register) they can assist you with RIPE (in case that you don't have your own AS number ofcourse). That's the best way to do what you need and this will be very useful for future interconnections with other or more upstream providers.

When you have your own AS u can create BGP connections with your providers, and to implement policy for paths learned from them. So you may increase the Local-Preference Attribute( to chose best-path for your _outgoing_ ) for routes learned via prefered ISP , and other routes to be used only when the primary link is down (they are kept in BGP table and when the best-path is loose , BGP import this paths into routing table).

Kind Regards,
Danail Petrov

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:47 pm

Daniel Petrov,

Sorry, but by all means, I haven´t got a clue what you are speaking off!

What is BGP? And Autonomous System registration in RIPE????
Ask my internet provider?? (Try to ask them anything here in Spain!)

No, presently I have a loadbalancer doing the job and on its LAN side the MT OS router as gateway of my WISP network. The two WAN ports are conected to 1. ADSL and 2. a Satellite link.

All I want is to replace the LoadBalancer and have the MT router do that bit of work too!

So we have one private Ethernet connection, and two public connected to the WAN. But since the ADSL has no data limits and the Satellite does I prefer not to use the Satellite for the WAN but only the ADSL for the WAN.
Only in case the ADSL drops dead (it has a wireless backhaul between me and the physical connection) I want traffic to go over the Satellite.

Shouldn´t so hard to arrange but only don´t know how.

changeip
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:38 pm

Add both gateways into the routing table. Change the distance / cost of the secondary link to be 1 higher than the better route. Then, set check-gateway=ping (or arp) on both. If one link goes down the other will become active.

Sam

danailpetrov
just joined

Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Add both gateways into the routing table. Change the distance / cost of the secondary link to be 1 higher than the better route. Then, set check-gateway=ping (or arp) on both. If one link goes down the other will become active.

Sam
That sounds good enough. I'm not familiar with MT routers in depth , but my version (2.8.11) doesn't have such extras :-)

Best Regards,
Danail Petrov

chvdr

Re:

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:25 pm

, but my version (2.8.11) doesn't have such extras :-)

Best Regards,
Danail Petrov
new versions offers many, many more functions at all

fatonk

Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:05 pm

WirelessRudy follow the example that changeip has given, that's the simply way to resolve your issue.

Regards.

Faton

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 22, 2008 1:57 am

please look at posts dates! 23 Mar 2007 - it's more than year ago!

necroposters...