Community discussions

marine88
just joined
Topic Author

New router for home

Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:48 pm

Witch router should i choose hAP ac² or hAP ac?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: New router for home

Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:23 am

As a router, hAP ac² will perform much better.

As a WiFi AP, hAP ac might be better. But that really depends on wireless clients ... those supporting MIMO 3x3 will benefit, the usual MIMO 2x2 won't.
BR,
Metod

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:09 pm

I have a wizard router myself.
The question I have is what are your requirements.
I am not as quick as mkx, so it was not clear to me you were asking about wifi, or vpn tunnels etc...........
If it is about wifi, then how many clients at the same time, what type of wifi do they use, size of area coverage etc etc.......
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

neutronlaser
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:41 pm

HAP AC has better signal and a blue LED and slightly less power usage. I have both and prefer HAP AC.

marine88
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:20 pm

My propouse is to extend with ap in future maybe ubiquiti or mikrotik wireless app when i have a bigger house but for now i want it to work ike router for now and have like 40 wifi devices connected to him ! what should i choose?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:36 pm

My propouse is to extend with ap in future maybe ubiquiti or mikrotik wireless app when i have a bigger house but for now i want it to work ike router for now and have like 40 wifi devices connected to him ! what should i choose?
Did you say 40. Yikes, hmm the RB4011 with wifi is starting to look good.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

marine88
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:42 pm

yeah i have domotic with home assistant on my home so i have a lot of litle devices conected i had tp link archer c9 with dd wrt for like 3 years but died when upagranding the firmware so now im with my old tp link wrd3600 and ipv is lagging.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:05 pm

Hi Marine,
I have the wired RB450Gx4 in my home running many vlans and two capACs.
Typically I have vlans to separate
smart devices
media boxes
NAS
gaming console
video
etc, not all require wifi though.

For WLANS each capac has two chains so typically I use the 2.4ghz chain for smart devices (on vlans), and the 5ghz channel for home wifi.
I then create a virtual WLAN from each 5ghz WLAN, to create guest wifi at each capac on vlans as well.

In othe words, the router you choose should be able to handle your requirements in terms of separation and control etc.
Just not sure on how to best deal with the large amount of wifi devices in an efficient fashion.

marine88
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:32 pm

Hi Marine,
I have the wired RB450Gx4 in my home running many vlans and two capACs.
Typically I have vlans to separate
smart devices
media boxes
NAS
gaming console
video
etc, not all require wifi though.

For WLANS each capac has two chains so typically I use the 2.4ghz chain for smart devices (on vlans), and the 5ghz channel for home wifi.
I then create a virtual WLAN from each 5ghz WLAN, to create guest wifi at each capac on vlans as well.

In othe words, the router you choose should be able to handle your requirements in terms of separation and control etc.
Just not sure on how to best deal with the large amount of wifi devices in an efficient fashion.
Thanks for your answer I have one media server connected true lan and one gaming computer 1 raspberry pi for now! So what do you recomend for me to buy? I also see this MikroTik RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN is a bit expensive but if will more future proof maybe I invest moe money now!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:48 pm

that is what I was thinking the RB4011 is a beast.
However I am not experienced enough to state if its overkill or not.
I also dont know the best MT solution for one wifi device and 40 wifi connected devices ( I suspect most will say get a second device to spread the load). Depends on if any of the wifi devices have any significant demands on throughput??

marine88
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Yes but for now i have a small house that is a rent one so i don´t want to spend money and tme passing cable to have more wifi AP in the future when i have a biger house I want to have more ap because I will have more wifi stuff connected. The wifi diference of both routers is that much? WItch one do you have?