Community discussions

MikroTik App

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Feature Request: Separate the firmware(bootloader) and routeros version number

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:11 pm

I am so confuse to determine when will need a firmware(bootloader) update when it is the same as routeros version number, I was told I don't need to update the firmware everytime as even the version number increase the bootloader may not have change at all, so what's the point to keep they the same number?

I don't want to check that tiny message everytime after routeros update especially doing that in batch with a mix of differnet model and routeros version.

or I really need to update the bootloader everytime?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature Request: Separate the firmware(bootloader) and routeros version number

Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:22 pm

/set sarcasm=on
You do. According to MT policy it's a major security breach to run Routerboot anything else than the latest one ... recently they started to force the same policy even for CRS328 units running SwOS ... If you don't update Routerboot every time, @Normis will pay you a visit (and you don't want that, believe me).

So the safest bet would be to set /system routerboard settings set auto-upgrade=yes (once) ... and perform two reboots every time you want to upgrade ROS (first one for ROS itself, second one for loading new Routerboot).
/set sarcasm=off

To be honest, you don't need to upgrade Routerboot every time, specially so for devices that are more than a year or two since start of sale.

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Re: Feature Request: Separate the firmware(bootloader) and routeros version number

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:11 pm

/set sarcasm=on
You do. According to MT policy it's a major security breach to run Routerboot anything else than the latest one ... recently they started to force the same policy even for CRS328 units running SwOS ... If you don't update Routerboot every time, @Normis will pay you a visit (and you don't want that, believe me).

So the safest bet would be to set /system routerboard settings set auto-upgrade=yes (once) ... and perform two reboots every time you want to upgrade ROS (first one for ROS itself, second one for loading new Routerboot).
/set sarcasm=off

To be honest, you don't need to upgrade Routerboot every time, specially so for devices that are more than a year or two since start of sale.
sorry but I didn't know its a MT policy, can you tell me what kind of security breach will be when the version number is not the same consider if the bootloader didn't change anything except version number?

I am trying avoid reboot twice which take longer, right now as I don't know if the bootloader actually change anything so I force to update it most of the time.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:16 pm

... can you tell me what kind of security breach will be when the version number is not the same ...

Nope, I can't. I don't dare to have Routerboot version different than ROS version :wink:

krisjanisj
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:20 pm

/set sarcasm=on

/set sarcasm=off

sorry but I didn't know its a MT policy, can you tell me what kind of security breach will be when the version number is not the same consider if the bootloader didn't change anything except version number?

I am trying avoid reboot twice which take longer, right now as I don't know if the bootloader actually change anything so I force to update it most of the time.
Please re-read what @mkx posted and note: /set sarcasm=on and /set sarcasm=off
No, theres no such MT policy that You always need to update RouterBOOT and keep it the same version as RouterOS (although its good to keep it updated and not leave it to the version it came from factory).

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:42 pm

That's how it was, not that long ago. Routerboot had own version number and it was easy to tell if you have to update it or not. Also most routerboards had working serial console you could easily use to enter routerboot menus, check version, update it using xmodem...

Then someone though: "Let's make routerboot versions total mess, this old versioning is soooo 1990, it's 2018 and we need something better!"
And here are we now...

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:56 pm

/set sarcasm=on
... If you don't update Routerboot every time, @Normis will pay you a visit (and you don't want that, believe me).
est, you don't need to upgrade Routerboot every time, specially so for devices that are more than a year or two since start of sale.
Tis true, mkx was just telling me the other day about his run-in with Normis. It was horrible. Normis was yelling had his face inches away from mkx. He said the alcohol fumes made him dizzy and bad breath eeek smelled like dead mice which caused him to retch and heave and almost vomit. Then Normis got to close and he scratched mkx with his unkempt beard, even drawing blood. Of course i advised mkx to go right away and get a tetanus shot.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:35 pm

You always need to update RouterBOOT and keep it the same version as RouterOS
The problem is Routerboot often has no changes between RouterOS versions, but we have no way of knowing since the version is incremented regardless. This involves needless reboots and additional wear on the small flash reserved for the bootloader. I've given up on updating Routerboot until I see a changelog entry that requires it.

I really don't understand the logic behind moving away from the separate version numbering we used to have.

DummyPLUG
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:31 am

Please re-read what @mkx posted and note: /set sarcasm=on and /set sarcasm=off
I really miss it, I thought that is some command I didn't know :lol: