Community discussions

MikroTik App

willbrown2000
just joined
Topic Author

IP Conflict

Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:22 am

Hi All,

I have a problem with IP conflicts. I have routers A, B, and C. A and B are pptp/sstp servers. Router C is a client connecting to the A and B router VPNs through pptp/sstp connections. Both the VPNs associated with router A and B contain the IP address 10.0.0.1. I'm not able to change this IP address for reasons. When router C is connected to router A through the VPN, router C attempts to route packets to the 10.0.0.0/24 range using the path through the pptp-c connection. This is dynamically set and what I want to happen. However, when I also connect router B to router C through a pptp connection, router C then dynamically sets the path to 10.0.0.0/24 through the router B pptp connection--and packets are routed to the wrong 10.0.0.1! I can't seem to figure out how to change this.

What I want is to have both pptp connections, but force any packets headed to the 10.0.0.0/24 destination to go through the router A pptp connection. As far as I can tell I can't statically set this and the router dynamically calculates the path and I can't override (but I'm sure there's a way!)

I'm not sure if it matters, but the router B in this situation is a virtualized microtik router running in AWS. I've tried changing the IP of that router under the local network settings, I've tried running it off a 172.x.x.x subnet in AWS, nothing matters. The router always still advertises as 10.0.0.1 even though I can access it through say... 172.41.0.1 if that's what I set it's local address to. Even if I set it's local address to 172.41.0.1, I can still access it at 10.0.0.1--which is super weird. So my assumption (which may not be true) is that I'm stuck with this 10.0.0.1 IP address and have to work around it. It seems like this might be something internal to AWS.

I'm really new to this, so I'll have to apologize if I'm using the wrong terminology. Also, if I AM using the wrong words, please correct me with the correct technical terms. Thanks so much!

Will