Community discussions

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

WAN Notifications

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:08 pm

Hello all,

I am working on a customer's router and am not real sure how I want to accomplish monitoring of the WAN interfaces. I was hoping for some recommendations

This specific customer has 3 separate internet lines. We are accomplishing fail-over via administrative distance on the default routes.

I would like an easy way to monitor each and send an email if down. I have seen several ways of accomplishing this so before investing a bunch of time, I figured I would ask the communities thoughts.

One way I have seen is to create 3 static routes, forcing one out each WAN interface. Then setting up netwatch to check hat address, and send an email if it can't reach it.

I have also seen numerous scripts accomplishing this, but most seem like overkill.

Thoughts?

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WAN Notifications

Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:20 pm

How will you be notified if all three go down? :-)
The purpose of failover is so that the internet keeps being provided if one or two ISPs are not available.
There is nothing to admin here unless you control the ISPs LOL.
If the router goes down well you are in the situation of the first line.
If the problem is the modem, you are still not able to do anything and the customer has to potentially reboot the modem.

In other words, I think what you need is the capacity to access the customers router via VPN tunnel (through either of the three WANs) when required.
Thus, its YOUR ROUTER that should be pinging the customers router through three ISPs and then YOUR ROUTER should email you if the customer's router cannot be reached.]

Now caveat here, I have no experience managing myself out of a paper bag, let alone a customers router, just looking at the logic.
I'd rather manage rats than software. Follow my advice at your own risk! (Sob & mkx forced me to write that!)

k6ccc

Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:45 am

There are two perspectives here. One is to have the router detect a failure and alert you. The other is to determine if the router is visible from the internet. For part two, I suggest UpTimeRobot.com They can monitor specific ports, a normal ping, a website, and various other things. They can notify an E-Mail address, phone app, or SMS.
BTW, I have no relation with the company other than a happy customer.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:46 pm

How will you be notified if all three go down? :-)
The purpose of failover is so that the internet keeps being provided if one or two ISPs are not available.
There is nothing to admin here unless you control the ISPs LOL.
If the router goes down well you are in the situation of the first line.
If the problem is the modem, you are still not able to do anything and the customer has to potentially reboot the modem.

In other words, I think what you need is the capacity to access the customers router via VPN tunnel (through either of the three WANs) when required.
Thus, its YOUR ROUTER that should be pinging the customers router through three ISPs and then YOUR ROUTER should email you if the customer's router cannot be reached.]

Now caveat here, I have no experience managing myself out of a paper bag, let alone a customers router, just looking at the logic.
So, while it is one of our customers, they are not a customer that pays for us to monitor them. It is actually the company itself that wants the monitoring. A customer that pays up for monitoring we would definitely setup monitoring on our side. I should of clarified that from the beginning!

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:53 pm

There are two perspectives here. One is to have the router detect a failure and alert you. The other is to determine if the router is visible from the internet. For part two, I suggest UpTimeRobot.com They can monitor specific ports, a normal ping, a website, and various other things. They can notify an E-Mail address, phone app, or SMS.
BTW, I have no relation with the company other than a happy customer.
So, I should of been clearer in my original email. This specific customer is not paying us for monitoring. They actually want the monitoring setup on their side.

We have quite a few different options we utilize for monitoring for customer that pay for it, this just isn't one of them.

Thoughts on having the router detect the failure?

nfletcher2
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Anyone?

k6ccc

Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 pm

I was not suggesting that you monitor it for them, but rather that they set up a free account with UpTimeRobot.com and UTR will notify them when something fails.
RB750Gr3, RB750r2, CRS326-24G-2S (in SwitchOS), CSS326-24G-2S, CSS106-5G-1S, RB260GS
Not sure if I beat them in submission, or they beat me into submission

Jim