Community discussions

MikroTik App

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Can't backup

Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:23 pm

Hello everyone, recently my CCR 1036 decided to restart constantly. I managed to do a NetInstall with the latest RoS and everything went back do normal. But I noticed that I cannot save or create any files on the router. I'm now sending daily backups to an ftp server just to make sure I don't loose too much in case of something happens.

Is there anyway to fix this? Or am I doomed to buy another box to replace this dying one?

Thanks again!

ArmanAskari
just joined

Re: Can't backup

Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:58 am

take backup ypur config and then reset configuration your device then install ROS again with netinstall. :) :wink:

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:16 pm

I have the export of the equipment, it was just after a netinstall that the problem appeared. I might try this, but since its a production equipment with about 2000 clients on it. I`ll better make sure its the on the red eye shift.

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:27 pm

Another thing I just noticed is that the users I created to administrate the router get deleted. I can't find anything on logs about who did it, but only default user with default password was kept, and I had disabled it and changed its password when I did the netinstall on it.

ArmanAskari
just joined

Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:42 am

what version you installed on your router?
try Previous version of that!!!

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:04 am

Mikrotik had a vulnerability which allowed login through winbox without password. It is already patched, but maybe You had a vulnerable version. Since your users are gone, that is a possibility.

Another possibility is the internal storage is getting old. Check if there is enough free space, if there isn't too many bad blocks, and try to write something - just to make sure it is ok. If it's ok, I'd bet on invasion.

In this case, the best way is to (re)start from zero.

1) Take a backup. Just because.
2) Take an export. This is important, as you should do a full audit on it, and restore the configs You see fit from here.
3) Take the unit offline.
4) Do a netinstall. Use different user/password from before.
5) Restore, from the already audited export, what you want.
6) Review firewall and access policies, since they got in from somewhere.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:23 am

... and then junk it. If the device was hacked, this backup should never ever be restored by any chance. If device was not hacked ... you'll have it up and running with revised configuration anyways.

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:39 pm

... and then junk it. If the device was hacked, this backup should never ever be restored by any chance. If device was not hacked ... you'll have it up and running with revised configuration anyways.
Never underestimate Murphy's law. He may forget to backup some key or certificate - that would have to be changed, but he may need it one last time - and a backup would save him.

cantanko

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:33 pm

I was going to suggest checking "/system health print" for the bad block counter as it sounds like the flash is trash, but my CCR1016 is lacking that...

victorsoares
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:59 pm

Well, just an update. I managed to get the equipment back and running after upgrading the firmware to the latest version. After a week or so problems started again. I'm sending the equipment to repair now.