Community discussions

MikroTik App

jryanhill
Topic Author

Issues with internal traffic not getting NATed

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:58 pm

I have a situation in which a Mikrotik router has internal traffic "leaking" to the public interface. Normally this would not be an issue, as most devices upstream would simply pass it on and the packets would be lost somewhere along the way. However, I have issues with cellular networks kicking me off the network momentarily when they see this traffic. It happens when connected via ethernet to a Cradlepoint with a cellular card, or when I have a USB Modem plugged into the USB port of my Mikrotik. We utilize cellular connections as backup internet connections. Even the simplest config has this issue for me:

/ip pool
add name=dhcp_pool1 ranges=172.17.210.100-172.17.210.200
/ip dhcp-server
add address-pool=dhcp_pool1 disabled=no interface=ether2 lease-time=1d name=dhcp1
/ip address
add address=172.17.210.1/24 interface=ether2 network=172.17.210.0
/ip dhcp-client
add dhcp-options=hostname,clientid disabled=no interface=ether1
/ip dhcp-server network
add address=172.17.210.0/24 dns-server=4.2.2.2,8.8.8.8 gateway=172.17.210.1
/ip firewall nat
add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether1

Taking a packet capture from ether1 shows normal traffic coming from the public IP on ether1. However, there is also random packets showing a source of my internal 172.17.210.x IP address to a public IP. The router in question is an RB2011UAS-2HnD, and it is currently running v6.44.2. I have seen this behavior on at least 6 different RB2011 routers over the last year, resulting in my failover connections not working properly. If I block ALL forward out ether1, I no longer have the issue. I do not know how to block the traffic AFTER the SrcNat, as the forward filter rules take place before SrcNat. Otherwise, I would simply block traffic leaving ether1 with sources from internal.

I am hoping there is a setting somewhere that I am missing that would easily fix this issue. It appears to me that the traffic is skipping the SrcNAT somehow. If anyone has any experience with this issue, I would be greatly appreciative.

TheCiscoGuy
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Issues with internal traffic not getting NATed

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:31 am

It is not recommended to use masquerade when using multiple WAN interfaces for failover. It is recommended to use src-nat instead. This is related to the way the connections table is built (and purged) when using a masquerade.

If you have a packet capture of the traffic to evaluate that would be nice, as the masquerade is a special kind of src-nat, I suspect there is a parameter that is not causing a match

jryanhill
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:32 pm

In the case of my most recent issue, it is the only WAN interface. I have had the issue in the past, but because it was a backup connection, it was not as high of a priority. For this situation, it is connected to a Cradlepoint via Ethernet. Since it is utilizing DHCP, I am not sure how to NAT outbound without a masquerade. As for the parameter, at the moment, the following statement is what is actually in use:
/ip firewall nat add action=masquerade chain=srcnat out-interface=ether1

I have attached a screenshot of the packet capture. I know it is not super useful, but I would prefer to limit certain information. The screenshot has MAC addresses redacted and a filter on the packet capture to remove the public IP address from view.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Do you have fast track enabled ? And have you tried to add most generic srcnat log rule at the bottom to look at those "bad" packets ?

jryanhill
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:22 pm

Fasttrack is indeed enabled. As for the generic SRCNAT rule, I had not. I have it added now, and I will monitor it over the next few hours.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:26 pm

It has disconnected since I added the rule. The generic srcnat rule did not show any bytes/packets.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:31 pm

Anyone have any further ideas?

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:34 pm

jryanhill
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:10 pm

That looks VERY promising. I am going to look into it, and I will update later. Thank you VERY much.

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:26 am

You may want to try srcnat rule with action=sct-nat instead of masquerade using an address within DHCP subnet range of your cellular modem/router.
Set this address on ether1 manually instead of DHCP client and also manually add the same default route as DHCP client did.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:38 pm

You may want to try srcnat rule with action=sct-nat instead of masquerade using an address within DHCP subnet range of your cellular modem/router.
Set this address on ether1 manually instead of DHCP client and also manually add the same default route as DHCP client did.
I would do this where I can, such as when the modem is the gateway, but most of the time I get a public IP assignment that would will end up changing. I do not wish to have an issue with IP conflicts at a later time when the ISP hands my IP to someone else.

As for the rules, they have worked very well for my most recent issue. I have a test scheduled for one of my more prominent problem children this Friday. I will update again at after that.

Thank you all for your assistance.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:48 pm

So while adding the below rules into the firewall has helped on the connection where it was on a single connection, it has not helped during a failover situation.
/ip firewall filter
add action=drop chain=input comment="Drop invalid Input" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop invalid Forward" connection-state=invalid
add action=drop chain=forward comment="Drop all from WAN not DSTNATed" connection-nat-state=!dstnat connection-state=new in-interface-list=WAN-Zone

I believe the problem still lies in the fact that I am utilizing Masquerade on my LTE interface. When the wrong IP goes out on that interface, it drops the connection (LTE interface goes away and then comes back). I get a public IP on that interface, and it will change from one instance of the interface being up to the next. The LTE interface is the backup, and ether1 is my primary. I have a static on ether1 and a action=src-nat NAT rule for ether1 instead of masquerade. How would I set this up without a Masquerade rule for the LTE interface?

jryanhill
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:59 pm

To clarify, my packet captures no longer show internal traffic going out either public interface after adding the rules above. So we've got that solved. Instead, after a failover, ether1's IP is seen going out on LTE. When failing back, the LTE's IP is seen going out on ether1.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:40 pm

As a test to see if related to Masquerade, I set up a test environment with ether1 as my primary connection and ether2 as my secondary. ether1 had an IP of 10.12.1.2/24 and ether2 had an IP of 192.168.0.2/24. Primary route was 10.12.1.1 with distance 1 and I added the Pref source (for good measure) of 10.12.1.2. Secondary route was 192.168.0.1 with distance 2 and pref source of 192.168.0.2. I have removed all masquerade rules in favor of action=src-nat rules. Packet capture of traffic out ether2 once I physically disconnected ether1 showed traffic with a source of 10.12.1.2. As such, it does not seem to be related to masquerade at all in this case of failover.

The forward filter takes place before src-nat, and when I add passthrough Mangle rules (forward, output, and postrouting) with 10.12.1.2 as the source address and ether2 as the out interface, I see no packets hitting. Where else would I block or change this?

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:09 pm

Looks like the only thing you can do to stop this leaking is to clear connection tracking table with "/ip firewall connection remove [find ]", or at least to delete those records that have Reply-Dst-Address that equals to public IP of "failed" interface.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:33 pm

Is a manual or scripted option of clearing connections the only thing anyone can see? While it wouldn't be the first time I've scripted solutions, I was hoping for a more built in solution than this.

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Tue Apr 23, 2019 4:00 am

I am struggling to understand what you are looking for here, the "drop invalid" rule is the built in solution

jryanhill
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:00 pm

Yes, drop invalid fixed the main issue of internal traffic not getting NATed. However, the secondary issue that was realized while troubleshooting is that when I have multiple WAN and it fails over from one to the other, there are packets showing a source IP from WAN1 going out on the WAN2 interface. As McSee had mentioned, we can manually or script to drop delete all connections after a failover, but I would prefer something like a rule to a script for automation.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:04 pm

The difference between action=src-nat and action=masquerade is not only that you have to specify the new source address (or range) manually in the former one (using to-addresses) while the latter automatically uses the current address of the interface, but also that whenever the interface through which the connection has been established goes down or changes its address (due to DHCP or PPPoE lease renewal), the connection is automatically dropped from the tracking.

So if you mention problems on failover, I'd assume that although you use an action=masquerade rule on the LTE interface, you use an action=src-nat one on the primary WAN, which means that when primary WAN goes down, the connections which were established via the primary WAN are not removed and so they keep assigning packets the IP address of the primary WAN before sending them out the LTE.

I'm afraid scripting wouldn't help here because it would too often be too slow to react in time. I'm actually not sure whether even the automatic drop triggered by the masquerade handling mode is fast enough if you have a large list of connections, but I've never tried practically whether forwarding of all traffic is stopped until all connections are dropped.

In what mode does the LTE interface run? Do you have a dhcp client attached to it? I could imagine inserting an /interface bridge filter rule to prevent packets with a wrong source address from leaking out the backup WAN, but doing so requires the output interface to be a member port of a bridge rather than to have the IP configuration attached directly to itself.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:25 pm

I have tried two methods in a lab setup of the failover issue. In both cases, I had two ethernet interfaces (to avoid issues with LTE for now) both set up as WAN. The first method was with both interfaces using action=src-nat and the other method with both interfaces using action=masquerade. I started each method testing with a fresh boot to avoid existing connections. Both methods resulted in the primary wan IP showing up as source going out the secondary wan. Not all packets, of course. Just a few, but enough to be potentially a problem if it WERE an LTE interface.

Ignoring this lab setup and going back to the actual user with an LTE interface, I want to answer your questions. I am not familiar with a mode for the LTE interface. It is a USB modem that I plug in. I also have the LTE package installed. When I plug the modem in, a dynamic interface is created. It is dynamically added to DHCP clients. The only changes aside from default I have made are to the default APN. I just changed the default route distance to 3 and removed "Use peer DNS".

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:27 pm

Not all packets, of course. Just a few, but enough to be potentially a problem if it WERE an LTE interface.
OK, so the autodestruction of the connections is not fast enough (which is no surprise as it probably wasn't a design objective to prevent any packet with a wrong source address from leaking out a wrong interface).

I am not familiar with a mode for the LTE interface. It is a USB modem that I plug in. I also have the LTE package installed. When I plug the modem in, a dynamic interface is created. It is dynamically added to DHCP clients. The only changes aside from default I have made are to the default APN. I just changed the default route distance to 3 and removed "Use peer DNS".
Some USB (and PCI) devices emulate serial modems so the lte package creates a ppp (L3) interface for this type of modems, while others emulate Ethernet network cards so the lte package creates an L2 interface with a dynamically created dhcp client attached to it. As yours creates the DHCP client, it supports the network card emulation mode, so it makes sense to dig further in that direction.

I don't have one handy to try myself, so I can just suggest you to try to create a bridge (named e.g. lte-bridge), set the passthrough-interface parameter of the /interface lte apn row you use to lte-bridge, and attach a manually configured dhcp client to that bridge. If all these steps succeed and the manually configured dhcp client gets an address, you can use the lte-bridge as the backup WAN instead of the previously used lte interface and create an /interface bridge filter rule preventing packets with ether1's address from leaking to the LTE.

If that doesn't work, there is still an ugly workaround consisting in forcing a double pass through Mikrotik's IP firewall by setting up an IP-IP tunnel from Mikrotik to itself. Let me quote myself from here:
The solution is to take any two local addresses and establish an IP-IP tunnel between them, so that we could run the same packet through the whole firewall machinery twice on a single machine. We receive the packet from a physical interface, route it "out" using one of the IP-IP tunnel's ends as the output interface, and we "receive" it the second time from the other end of that tunnel.
So in your case, you would use the "inner" end of the IP-IP tunnel as the backup WAN, and use policy routing (routing-mark, connection-mark and that kind of stuff) to route whatever pops up from the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel out via the LTE interface, and route anything that arrives via the LTE to the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel. There would be no src-nat or masquerade handling for packets leaving through the "inner" end of the IP-IP tunnel - it would only be applied at the path between the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel and the LTE interface.

jryanhill
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:56 pm

I don't have one handy to try myself, so I can just suggest you to try to create a bridge (named e.g. lte-bridge), set the passthrough-interface parameter of the /interface lte apn row you use to lte-bridge, and attach a manually configured dhcp client to that bridge. If all these steps succeed and the manually configured dhcp client gets an address, you can use the lte-bridge as the backup WAN instead of the previously used lte interface and create an /interface bridge filter rule preventing packets with ether1's address from leaking to the LTE.
I actually tried something similar to this a long time ago, but I could never get it to show that the LTE interface was connected to the bridge, nor pull DHCP on the bridge. Furthermore, when I set the passthrough interface, the LTE interface goes up and down several times before not coming back up again. If we could figure out how to make this work, I think it would be great.
So in your case, you would use the "inner" end of the IP-IP tunnel as the backup WAN, and use policy routing (routing-mark, connection-mark and that kind of stuff) to route whatever pops up from the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel out via the LTE interface, and route anything that arrives via the LTE to the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel. There would be no src-nat or masquerade handling for packets leaving through the "inner" end of the IP-IP tunnel - it would only be applied at the path between the "outer" end of the IP-IP tunnel and the LTE interface.
While I love the creativity here, I want this to be a bit more standard on several routers that I put out, and having this level of complexity is a little more than I would want my support techs to have to deal with. That's why I wanted to avoid scripts, even though you stated the scripts would not be fast enough. I do thank you for that bit of advice, however. I may use the practice of running it through the filter process twice like this in later situations.

kiharapet
just joined

Fri May 01, 2020 11:34 pm

Was this resolved?
i suspect this is why my link does not last longer than 50 minutes. I am using USB tethering as my Primary link. The connection goes stale the lte connection is up but not passing traffic.