MikroTik App

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Mikrotik IP Cloud vs P2P

Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:45 pm

as we know,
nowadays the cctv mostly with the P2P feature.
and with this P2P feature, we do not need any public ip, or port forwarding then we can access from outside.

IP Cloud behind the NAT is inaccessible unless u have done the port forwarding.
Can Mikrotik implement P2P feature rather than IP Cloud ?

2nd, The current ip cloud is also tight on the serial number, it should come with an optional setting for the virtual serial number, this ease for those using ip cloud to connect other device via ip cloud.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik IP Cloud vs P2P

Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:09 pm

They should not. It takes users' minds from the right question they should be asking:

Why don't I have even a single public address for myself, when millions(*) of available public addresses exist for every single person and device on the planet?

(*) Actually even much much more

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:31 pm

** applicable to IPv6 only

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:28 pm

Well, yes. With the address shortage now worse than ever (and it won't get better), maybe it wouldn't be the worst idea to start using this thing that was invented more than twenty years ago, to solve exactly this problem. Especially when it's really good at it.

With IPv4, most people get one public address or none. And even those lucky ones, who didn't get zero, still face difficult decisions whether to use it for this or that, because it's not enough for everything. IPv6 has enough addresses for everyone, more than average person can count. You want to run two servers instead of one? Sure, no problem. Don't hold back, run a thousand, assign thousand different public addresses to each server, then change all of them to new ones every second and don't recycle any, ... you'll be burning through million addresses every single second, and of course it won't make any sense. But you will still not run out of addresses before you die. And that's for one "small" /64 subnet. Let's call it option a).

Or there's option b), don't have any public address and be at mercy of some third party who will let you use their public address to connect to your device. Which is exactly what these "cloud", "P2P", etc services do. With zero guarantees that they will still work tomorrow. And you'll need several, because camera cloud is run by one company, MikroTik's service (if they add it) by another, etc.

I know that my reply is not immediately useful for OP, because convincing some ISPs is difficult and even if you manage to convince yours, it's not enough, because you need IPv6 also in other locations served by other ISPs. But I have to say it from time to time, because sometimes it seems like people don't even know about option a). It's real, it's super-awesome, ask your ISP about it and tell your friends to do the same, make it happen! :)

Paternot
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:15 pm

I know that my reply is not immediately useful for OP, because convincing some ISPs is difficult and even if you manage to convince yours, it's not enough, because you need IPv6 also in other locations served by other ISPs. But I have to say it from time to time, because sometimes it seems like people don't even know about option a). It's real, it's super-awesome, ask your ISP about it and tell your friends to do the same, make it happen! :)
Amen to that. It is an uphill battle, but it's the only way.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:44 pm

Not all ISP will give u public IP regardless ipv4 or ipv6.

Especially in our country, ISP mostly give u private IP.

That's the reasons p2p ip cloud should in place.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:44 am

ISP who would give you IPv6, but not public addresses, would be really unusual. They would have to do extra work to give you worse service. It would have to be really evil ISP. If you ever meet ISP like that, run away. :)

IPv4 is different, it simply doesn't have enough addresses for everyone. I agree that having some kind of "cloud access" would help many people, but again, it will only delay proper solution. Because if it allows you to connect to your non-public IPv4 address, what incentive you will have to ask for IPv6? None.

But that being said, my objection is on philosophical level, it's nothing personal, so good luck convincing MikroTik.

sebastia
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:27 am

"Especially in our country" would that be China with "The Great Firewall" (or North Korea) ? That's indeed unusual and regime induced

joegoldman
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:43 am

IPv6 is still a second class citizen overall - I found many services where my IPv6 would take over but it would take a worse route or have a degraded service because someone somewhere in the path didnt put as much effort into their traffic engineering for IPv6 as they did IPv4, as IPv4 is the mainstay. It can actually be a problem to run IPv6 services sometimes. The really big guys like Google and Facebook etc are up to scratch im talking smaller content providers and networks who have enabled IPv6 but havent spent time on it as it is not mission critical like IPv4.