Community discussions

MikroTik App

kayander
just joined
Topic Author

CCR1036 slow Layer3 speed (between local subnets)

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:38 pm

Hey everyone!

As the subject says, i have a CCR1036-12G and experience almost half a speed between PC's in different subnets (Layer3), compared to the ones that are inside the same subnet.(Layer2)
i.e.: iperf3 to a server from a PC inside the same /24 subnet - ~900Mbit/s
iperf3 to a server from a PC that is in another /24 subnet - ~450Mbit/s

Both PC's are behind some CRS326 which is on a SFP link as a VLAN trunk port.

I did try to test that with no-track and fasttrack at the top of the firewall on CCR and it did improved the results, but only slightly, it gave around additional 70Mbit/s maximum.
I looked to the profile while testing the speed, there's not a single core maxing out. Up to 30% for a single core and up to 3% for a total CPU usage. I tried with several devices and the maximum i could get using fasttrack was 539Mbit/s.

Shouldn't i be able to push at least 700-800Mbit/s? Looking at the CPU usage, it seems to be totally capable, my first thought was the firewall but fasttrack didnt helped a lot. What am i doing wrong?
Thanks in advance!

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CCR1036 slow Layer3 speed (between local subnets)

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Many routers have hard time with single thread high-speed connections. Does throughput scale nicely when using multiple threads (iperf -c -P 2 or 4)?

kayander
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 12:54 pm

Many routers have hard time with single thread high-speed connections. Does throughput scale nicely when using multiple threads (iperf -c -P 2 or 4)?
Yep! It did.

But i dont see any single cores (at /tool profile) reaching even 50% when testing, that is strange. Is a single CCR core really uncapable of 1 gigabit?

The main reason for the 1G speed there is to send files over the network using SMB protocol.
So basically its 90MB/s for PC's in the same subnet and 40-45MB/s if the PC is in another. Is there anything that could be done with that?

kayander
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:50 pm

Bump

Is there a way to have the SMB file sharing between the subnets with the speeds faster than half a gigabit using Mikrotik CCR1036?
Can anyone help?

Отправлено с моего Mi A1 через Tapatalk