Community discussions

MikroTik App

ingtegration
Topic Author

CRS328: Searching for infos / pointers about hardware COS DSCP

Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:51 pm

Hi all,

Just received a brand new CRS328-24P-4S+RM and wish to use it as a VoIP / PC access layer switch. So in a classic way, each port of the CRS328 will receive a connection from a 802.1Q IP Phone (Grandstream GXP2140) which will provide access port for a PC.

We want to make sure the CRS328 will pass VoIP frames with higher priority than other traffic. Is there a way to achieve this in hardware? Unfortunately, i searched a lot on this topic without finding anything valuable. The internet access will be provided by a CCR1009 so maybe DSCP would have to be enforced too.

We have Edge-Core switches that does all that but the CRS328 is a very nice PoE switch, cheaper and we love RouterOS management interface (though a bit complicated for switch functions)!!!

Thanks.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS328: Searching for infos / pointers about hardware COS DSCP

Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:17 pm

I've never worked in a network that was so saturated that the Trunk port on a Switch was a place of contention for VoIP traffic. I always handle this at the Router. However, I'm sure there are those that need to think about this.

I was planning to work on a 20+ IP camera network in which the plan was to put them on a separate fiber run and switch. Otherwise, this could have been a concern. I was going to use the CRS328 too. The project is on hold for the moment.

ingtegration
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:34 pm

I've never worked in a network that was so saturated that the Trunk port on a Switch was a place of contention for VoIP traffic. I always handle this at the Router.

Here it is the case. The client is a TV broadcast station and they often transfer 50G+ files to the media server. One PC is able to saturate the gigabit trunk link. Can't do LACP, i have only one long CAT6 cable link (so forget about 10 Gbps). The upper layer switch is non-blocking L3 (Edge-Core ECS4510-52T), but the CRS328 doesn't have those L3 muscles! So anyway, i bought the CRS as a basic POE access L2 switch. The Marvell Prestera 98DX3236 switch chip inside the CRS328 should be able to handle my use case.

https://www.marvell.com/switching/asset ... 336_pb.pdf

I managed to find bits of infos here and there but can't confirm the CRS328 will honor L2 priority. So far, i found how to tag the phone traffic to my Voice VLAN (20) with the GrandStream phone with OUI 00:0B:82 wildcard:
/interface ethernet switch rule
add new-vlan-id=20 new-vlan-priority=5 ports=ether21 src-mac-address=00:0B:82:00:00:00/FF:FF:FF:00:00:00 switch=switch1

See the "new-vlan-priority" field, i put 5 which is supposed to be "Voice, < 10 ms latency and jitter" in the 802.1p definition:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_P802.1p

I plugged port 5 of an hEX router properly configured to handle 802.1Q trunking for VLAN20 to ether23 of the CRS, so far the router doesn't receive anything from the CRS... I went to the switch menu "port" tab and tried to put "vlan mode" to "secure" (for the hEX router port): whatever i do in this menu end up with "VLAN mode not supported". So for now it doesn't seem i can do hardware VLAN / QoS.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:23 am

I have only one long CAT6 cable link (so forget about 10 Gbps).
I went to the switch menu "port" tab and tried to set "vlan mode" to "secure" (for the hEX router port): whatever i do in this menu end up with "VLAN mode not supported". So, for now it doesn't seem i can do hardware VLAN / QoS.

Anyway you could request about pulling a fiber cable? I believe they would appreciate the upgrade. They are so cheap now, premade too from fibercablesdirect. Of note about the CRS328 series, this is a CRS3xx, so you can do it via switch menu, or newer style. Don't mix the two methods.

Have you read this yet?

ingtegration
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 pm

Anyway you could request about pulling a fiber cable? I believe they would appreciate the upgrade. They are so cheap now, premade too from fibercablesdirect. Of note about the CRS328 series, this is a CRS3xx, so you can do it via switch menu, or newer style. Don't mix the two methods.

Have you read this yet?

Throughput rate limit is not QoS!!! I don't understand why they're talking about QoS in that way... To me, QoS is priority level. I saw VLAN-Priority in the documentation but didn't find anything about how the switch will effectively handle this (if at all).

I know fiber would be easy but the client is moving in about 6 months so no go. And no go because the Edge-Core product (and Cisco, Brocade, HPE, etc) would easily do that. I love Mikrotik routing products and RouterOS, i'd like to be able to integrate this CRS328 into the setup (we already have here CCR1009, bunch of wAP running under CAPsMAN, CRS125 running as "dumb" L2 switch, etc). If i make this work, many CRS328 will find a home! It would become my new standard L2 switch for office use. The config / research time is on me... No $$$ for what i'm doing now! So today, i continue doing tests but i'm afraid i'll loose patience soon...

I'm a network engineer with 25 years of experience but i don't like to waste my time too long... With a good doc and examples, it would be easy or i'd know this can't be done... I already lived frustrations with the CRS125, i thought those CRS3xx would do better.... and this CRS328 is full PoE, it looked promising!

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:35 pm

Throughput rate limit is not QoS!!! I don't understand why they're talking about QoS in that way... To me, QoS is priority level. I saw VLAN-Priority in the documentation but didn't find anything about how the switch will effectively handle this (if at all).

Okay, read this. Does this apply better?

ingtegration
Topic Author

Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:36 pm

Okay, read this. Does this apply better?

Doesn't seem to work on the CRS328..

[admin@CRS328_SM] > /interface ethernet switch qos-group
bad command name qos-group (line 1 column 28)
[admin@CRS328_SM] > /interface ethernet switch  ?
host  port  port-isolation  rule  edit  export  find  print  reset-counters  set  unset

ingtegration
Topic Author

Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:02 am

Found this article while googling:

https://mikrotik-routeros.com/2019/01/r ... n-v6-43-x/

I configured my CRS328 like in to the article above. It almost works.
/interface bridge
add comment="Vlan Switch Bridge" name=switchbridge1 vlan-filtering=yes

/interface bridge port
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="PC - Untagged V10" interface=ether1 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="PC - Untagged V10" interface=ether2 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="PC - Untagged V10" interface=ether3 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="PC - Untagged V10" interface=ether4 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Hybrid - Untagged V10 with tagged V20" interface=ether5 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Hybrid - Untagged V10 with tagged V20" interface=ether6 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Hybrid - Untagged V10 with tagged V20" interface=ether7 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Hybrid - Untagged V10 with tagged V20" interface=ether8 pvid=10
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="AP - Untagged V99 with tagged V10" interface=ether9 pvid=99
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="AP - Untagged V99 with tagged V10" interface=ether10 pvid=99
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="AP - Untagged V99 with tagged V10" interface=ether11 pvid=99
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="AP - Untagged V99 with tagged V10" interface=ether12 pvid=99
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="VoIP Server - Untagged V20" interface=ether22 pvid=20
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=ether23
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=ether24
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=sfp-sfpplus1
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=sfp-sfpplus2
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=sfp-sfpplus3
add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Trunk Port Tagged V10,20,99" interface=sfp-sfpplus4

/interface bridge vlan

add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Office VLAN" tagged=ether9,ether10,ether11,ether12,ether23,ether24,sfp-sfpplus1,sfp-sfpplus2,sfp-sfpplus3, \
sfp-sfpplus4 untagged=ether1,ether2,ether3,ether4,ether5,ether6,ether7,ether8 vlan-ids=10

add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="VoIP VLAN" tagged=ether5,ether6,ether7,ether8,ether23,ether24,sfp-sfpplus1,sfp-sfpplus2,sfp-sfpplus3, \
sfp-sfpplus4 untagged=ether22 vlan-ids=20

add bridge=switchbridge1 comment="Admin VLAN" tagged=ether23,ether24,sfp-sfpplus1,sfp-sfpplus2,sfp-sfpplus3,sfp-sfpplus4,switchbridge1 \
untagged=ether9,ether10,ether11,ether12 vlan-ids=99

[10.0.2.xxx] <--AP--> [Port 1 - hEX - Port 5] <--TP--> [Port 28 - CRS328 - Port 5] <--HP--> [LAN Port - GrandStream GXP2140 - PC Port] <--AP--> [PC]
AP = Access Port
TP = Trunk Port
HP = Hybrid Port

So if i just plug a phone on the ether5 interface, the phone the right IP address (10.0.10.192) from the DHCP server running on the hEX router which is hooked to the CRS328 in trunk mode.

I then added the switch rule in the switch menu to tag the phone's frames using MAC OUI wildcard:
/interface ethernet switch rule
add new-vlan-id=20 new-vlan-priority=5 ports=ether5 src-mac-address=00:0B:82:DD:9D:4C/FF:FF:FF:00:00:00 switch=switch1

The phone received an IP address from the VLAN20 (10.0.20.192) but i can't ping it and it can't reach the PBX (which sits in the 10.0.2.xxx subnet).

One note: Don't configure more than 1 bridge in the CRS328 or it will not hardware accelerate bridging.

louisren
just joined

Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:13 am

Hi
Have you resolved this issue?

I am having the same problem. Don't know how Mikrotik switch CRS 328 handle DSCP and COS tag.