Community discussions

MikroTik App

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

100% CPU Usage on RB 111/112

Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:31 am

Is this bug confirmed by MT yet? Every single RB 112 I have tested the beta on has exhibited this same problem, everything is fine for a short while then the CPU hits 100% and stays there for extremely long time, sometimes causing watchdog to reboot the system. The high CPU continues even after a reboot, the two beeps after startup even seem affected as it continues for several additional beeps.

I have some clients that require public IPs and without wanting to use PPPoE, I really could use the station-pseudobridge mode, however the 100% CPU usage issue just causes the beta to be completely unusable on routerboard hardware. Yes, I know the beta shouldn't be in production use, but I really don't want to take a gamble and buy a bridge from another vendor as Ive had great results otherwise with routerOS and routerboard. Is this going to be fixed any time soon, as it has been around for several betas.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:47 am

never seen this problem. check your traffic with torch, disable interfaces etc. see : http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/CPU_Usage

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 9:25 am

i have tested ALL beta versions on RB112 and seen this problem and solved it by removing disabling packages i do not intend to use (almost everything)

please go and read links provided by normis - they do solve the problem

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 11:46 am

It's almost impossible to use the device once the CPU problem starts, it takes many minutes to even login with telnet and trying to use Winbox is impossible. I've disabled the wireless interface and had only my PC directly connected to Ethernet and still has the CPU usage problem, so it's definitely not traffic related. I don't think I tried disabling packages, maybe I'll go through one by one and see if I can figure out which one is misbehaving when I have enough patience to try it :).

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:19 pm

uninstalling them is better - if you don't use it, you don't need it.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:32 pm

I just did a netinstall of b6, removed old settings. I installed dhcp, ntp, advanced tools, routerboard, system and wireless. No CPU problem on first login. Enabled DHCP client on wireless. Opened wireless, scanned for AP, hit connect. Set mode to station-pseudobrige. Moments later, constant 100% CPU usage.

I disabled dhcp and ntp, rebooted again to 100% CPU. I noticed in the files window, autosupout was constantly changing time, I guess something caused an automatic supout generation and this is where the CPU time was going. I disabled watchdog, after 4-5 minutes the autosupout apparently finished and the CPU load was normal again. I noticed I also had an autosupout.old, so perhaps the whole CPU usage problem is something causing supout generation to happen constantly.

I'm going to reenable DHCP and NTP and see if that has any affect, maybe the watchdog timer is going crazy.

EDIT: DHCP worked fine (didn't try NTP yet), I re-enabled watchdog and at the 5 minute uptime mark, autosupout creation started even though the "Watch address" was disabled. Autosupout creation took 5mins 5 secs at 100% CPU. I can't say for sure if this was the problem until I try again with the other boards I have here, but it certainly looks like this may be either the problem or a significant contributor to the problem.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:29 pm

could you check ram usage? maybe 5 minutes is the time in which ram gets filled up and then kernel just kills something.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 1:34 pm

actually there is a problem with the current beta, you should wait for the next release, or use 2.9.41

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:50 pm

What is the scope of the problem you mentioned? I've had the system I setup last night connected to my LAN router since then and not a single problem (so far...). Would beta5 be any more stable than beta6?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:31 am

if you open interface menu, it tries to get some information but can't, so CPU usage climbs

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:44 am

Doesn't seem I could reproduce that on my beta6 setup (which is still going strong - ~10mbps @ 70% CPU in bridging mode). The only time the CPU hits 100% is immediately after logging in on winbox, it settles down after 10-15 seconds back to a normal value.

I just got a bunch of RB133s in today, I'll perhaps play around with beta6 on one of those too and see if the CPU / supout / watchdog bug happens on them or not.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:59 pm

I repeated the setup on an RB133c board, immediately disabled the watchdog and no CPU problems. This time I was adventurous and enabled NTP, CPU hit 100% constantly, no supout generation was occurring. Problem disappeared after I disabled NTP package. Seems like there are definitely a few more bugs to work out in there somewhere.

voip4life
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:57 pm

I'm having the same problem with 112 board running 2.9.41 and I can't stay logged into the router very long. I've disabled all packages that are not needed but CPU still hovers at 100%. Router needs reboot about 4 times a day now just to keep it working. I can't even winbox into it now, it's in a fairly remote area that's not easily accessible.

I couldn't even get a complete supout file to send to support. It seems to work a little better with the wireless interface turned off (of course I can't use it like that since it's a hotspot)

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:58 pm

re-read this topic please. it's not the same problem as you use 2.9 and the situation changes with a disabled interface. see the wiki link about CPU usage.

R1CH
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:41 am

The RB133 has begun exhibiting 100% CPU now, despite no configuration changes. All that has happened since setting up is a bunch of DHCP renewals and standard traffic. The only packages enabled are adv-tools, dhcp, routerboard, security, system and wireless. Is there no way to see what components are using CPU time, ala top or ps in Linux?

desertadmin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

I think I have the answer!

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:06 am

It is poitively a problem with the NTP package. Which is sad becasue it is so critical. But I have notcied this exact same problem now from 2.9.39-2.9.41 I thought it was some hotspot code that I was trying out on my home MTunit for testng purposes and then I started to notice this exact same problems at other locations. I think it may be in conjunction with hotspot or the DHCP package.

It would always take a reboot to get me out of this stuck 100% CPU stage but now I have disabled my NTP and eveything is flowing. I am going to try a local NTP server and see if that resolves the problem.

I am pretty sure that NTP in 2.9.39 or so has problem.

I really wish there was a way to do an CPU process check to confirm this but oh well. The MT guys do so much already.. Any ways great product !

I hope this find is some what correct and ueful to everyone else.

cheers!
DesertAdmin

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:58 am

everyone who is seeing the NTP package problem, please make a supout.rif file while the package is enabled and CPU usage rises. Send the file to support

xxiii
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:20 pm

Here is a resource pr from ours with this problem, I am attempting to generate a supout; it took several minutes to get the resource pr out of it. Its been 3 or so minutes since I typed sup-output, and so far its only echoed back the s. (I'm ssh'ed in, winbox isn't working at all with it at this point).

uptime: 3h37m
version: "2.9.41"
free-memory: 1828kB
total-memory: 14224kB
cpu: "MIPS 4Kc V0.11"
cpu-frequency: 175MHz
cpu-load: 100
free-hdd-space: 29920kB
total-hdd-space: 61440kB
write-sect-since-reboot: 457
write-sect-total: 155597
bad-blocks: 1

voip4life
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:13 am

re-read this topic please. it's not the same problem as you use 2.9 and the situation changes with a disabled interface. see the wiki link about CPU usage.
Normis, I have read that thread about the CPU already, believe me, if there's something that we could do to drop CPU usage on the router, I'd do it. We've tried many things.

The reason for my post was to inform you that I see similar things happening on 2.9.41 as well as the beta. Just running hotspot and userman, no rules, queues, etc. I've looked at the traffic in torch and there's nothing significant, only 2 wireless users assiciated at the time the CPU pegs 100%. One user has very low signal. He keeps getting disassociated due to weak signal. We've tried to limit anyone connecting below 5.5mbs but that hasn't worked either. If we disable wlan the cpu usage does drop, but of course that doesn't help us as it's a hotspot. I can't get a proper supout because the router is overloaded and either crashes or has to be rebooted. I'm trying again after removing ntp package, I couldn't get a proper supout file, what I did get I sent already to support. I was starting to wonder if there was something wrong with the board, but if others are having the same problem ???

The board was installed around 4 months ago.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:38 am

RB500 with hotspot i presume

rpingar
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:56 pm

I was able to have 100% cpu on rb133c and beta7 too......
Asap it was rebooted it skyrocketed to 100%......
beta is not ready for field tests yet.

janisk
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:34 am

please remove everything you do not use to free ram. IMO it runs out of ram

edit:

it is NOT meant to be AP or/and hotspot etc. etc.

pinam
Trainer
Trainer

beta7 and 133c

Fri May 04, 2007 3:22 pm

I have to prove RouterBOARD 133c and MikroTik v3.0beta7 (I have not tried earliers betas) is not good combination. I do not think it's problem of ntp package (was not installed during my tests) or lacking RAM (was about 4MiB).

CPU does not need to at 100% all the time. When monitoring through SNMP, CPU was about 8-10%, when system was doing almost nothing (RB112 is showing 1% in such cases). After reboots sometimes remained at 100%, but it was rather rare.

The real problem is RouterBOARD's responsiveness. Some commands time out, some are executed after very long time. This occurs also when connecting via serial console. After booting it needs about 30-60 seconds between login and showing command line (nothing was configured, plain new system). I tried to disable and uninstall some packages, but the problem remained even in situation only system and wireless packages were present. So this is not the way, beacuse on board where you have one ethernet and one radio, probably everybody would like to use the radio :-).