Community discussions

MUM Europe 2020

Dilvish5
just joined
Topic Author

IPv6 deployment on individual /64

Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:06 pm

We are currently attempting to deploy ipv6 in our network. We plan to provide a /64 to each of our customers.
What would be the best setup for it? DHCP/SLAAC are not needed, as the services will come preconfigured with static ip and gw.
I am currently thinking of simply creating a gateway on the router for each /64.
But how to scale that? It might work ok on 2000 customers, but will it be stable at 20.000?
Is there a better solution to doing this?
Maybe we should use a virtual router for ipv6 only?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 deployment on individual /64

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:27 pm

I don't know what's the best solution for your problem. But about this:
We plan to provide a /64 to each of our customers.
Please don't, that's what evil ISPs do. Even though /64 is insane amount of addresses, it's only one subnet and it can't be divided into smaller ones without creating compatibility problems.

https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ ... nt-options
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply. Not intended as incentive for masochists.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:59 pm

We are currently attempting to deploy ipv6 in our network. We plan to provide a /64 to each of our customers.
I'm with Sob here: just don't give a single /64 to your customers: it's plain evil, and will cost you dearly in the future - both in maintenance and customer churn.

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:19 pm

Yup, the recommendation is to allow up to a /56 to be requested via DHCPv6-PD. The absolute smallest I'd go is a /60 for residential. It gives the customer the ability to provide a normal LAN, a guest network and VPN without compatibility breaking small subnets.