Community discussions

MikroTik App

ursy
just joined
Topic Author

EoIP and VLANs advantages/

Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Hey there,

Could somebody help me to decide which is the best option having multiple vlans that will be tunneled with EoIP? Should I use one EoIP for each VLAN or should I use only one EoIP who accommodates all VLANs?
Would be great if you can tell me what are the advantages/disadvantages for each of them
Thank you in advance!

idlemind
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: EoIP and VLANs advantages/

Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:27 pm

The best thing you can do is design your network and applications in a way that doesn't require L2 extensions. I understand this is always not a reality but you really don't want to spread your L2 failure domain. If the thought is to use EoIP to place the same IPs in 2 DCs that's the worst scenario. If it's for PPPoE as an ISP you won't be able to get away from L2 extension so that's a different story.

As far as EoIP with or without VLANs specifically - I suppose it wouldn't matter much. My nature would probably be to do it as a single tunnel with multiple VLANs. The overhead traffic from maintaining a tunnel per VLAN would far outweigh the traffic load from a VLAN tag (assuming security and keep-alives are in use).

ursy
just joined
Topic Author

Re: EoIP and VLANs advantages/

Mon May 06, 2019 4:31 pm

Crystal clear.Thanks for your advice. I'll use one EoIP with multiple Vlans

Good day!