Community discussions

MikroTik App

moham96
Topic Author

[Feature Request] show the pppoes message

Thu Apr 25, 2019 2:26 pm

Hi,
I have a pppoe-client in my mikrotik router, the pppoe server is from cisco, upon successful authentication or error the server sends a message field in the pppoes response that indicate the type of error or success for example:

1- if the pppoe user is already logged in it fails to log in and send a message with the following content "You are already logged in - access denied"
2- if the connection was successful it sends an empty message field
3- if the connection was successful but the account is expired it sends a message with the following content "Password Has Expired"

this is very helpful in identifying why there is no internet, unfortunately routeros doesn't expose this message in the winbox or webfig interface and to read this message I either have to start a packet sniffer and stream it to a machine with wireshark
wireshark.png
Or I enable pppoe logging in winbox, but this creates a lot of output in the log an it's a bit hard to find the message in the log, especially when it's not colored
winbox-pppoes.png
So I suggest to read the message field and add it to the status tab in the pppoe-client dialog box, or add the message at the bottom of the dialog box (near the status in the lower right corner)

Regards
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.