MUM Europe 2020

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Anyone tried these?

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:31 pm

http://www.mini-box.com/VIA-EPIA-M10000 ... ategory=99

They look rather good to me, and I'm very tempted to get myself one...

MT Manual states that a VIA 6102 is supported, the above however, comes with a VIA 6103...

Has anyone tried them? Obviously with 1 PCI slot, making use of the onboard LAN is kinda important...

Thanks,
C
Regards,
Chris

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:49 pm

it's supported and working fine, but some of these experienced problems with the built-in ethernet disappearing sometimes. looks like a hardware problem, but not sure.

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:50 pm

Thnx Normis...

They aren't too expensive.. I'll get one and see what gives... They got a couple of nice intel offerings as well.. hmmm
Regards,
Chris

savagedavid
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:24 pm

I am waiting for some of those juicy new high speed routerboards promised at MUM. Q2 2007 is almost here...
savagedavid
MTCE+T (MikroTik Certified Everything + Trainer)
MikroTik support and training in South Africa
http://www.mikrotiksa.com
david [at] mikrotiksa dot com

shielder
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:10 am

yeah i tried this before. Nice processor, expandable memory, that's what we are looking for. I tried putting 4 mini pci to it and it works fine, but after a few days, the machine hangs, i dunno what's happening, but after i restart the power it works again. and this problem keeps happening all the time.

My suggestion : wait for the higher CPU routerboard, don't try this. You would have hanging problem and you need to pull a power cable to your tower unless you but another DC - AC converter.

Regards

savagedavid
Trainer
Trainer

Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:32 am

I have to say though - I have a Gigabyte mobo with VIA chipset running on one of my highsites with a 3ghz celeron and 256mb ram. It runs 8 wireless interfaces, can handle almost any amount of bandwidth and is fantastically reliable. So you just never know...
savagedavid
MTCE+T (MikroTik Certified Everything + Trainer)
MikroTik support and training in South Africa
http://www.mikrotiksa.com
david [at] mikrotiksa dot com

savage
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:26 pm

yeah i tried this before. Nice processor, expandable memory, that's what we are looking for. I tried putting 4 mini pci to it and it works fine, but after a few days, the machine hangs, i dunno what's happening, but after i restart the power it works again. and this problem keeps happening all the time.

My suggestion : wait for the higher CPU routerboard, don't try this. You would have hanging problem and you need to pull a power cable to your tower unless you but another DC - AC converter.
Yet, based on posts, similar 'weird' things happens with the router boards as well (one thing that comes to mind for example, is the power/gnd issue)...

They all have their pro's and con's and that is really up to debate. As you said yourself, a 2 slot PCI Riser Card (which is available), 8 miniPCI WNICs, expandable memory... It just makes sense and gives allot more options vs. a once-off restricted routerboard that can't be upgraded...

A board like this, offers allot more functionality than a routerboard however. Not only in regards to processor / memory, but also in regards to exandability...

--
C
Regards,
Chris