Community discussions

MikroTik App

squeezypiano
Topic Author

CRS112 trunking

Mon May 06, 2019 10:50 am

Hi,

I am trying to setup a port trunk between two CRS112 switches but I am not able to get it working correctly.

On both switches I have done the following:
/interface bridge
add name=bridge1

/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridge1 interface=ether2 hw=yes
add bridge=bridge1 interface=sfp11 hw=yes
add bridge=bridge1 interface=sfp12 hw=yes

/interface vlan
add interface=bridge1 vlan-id=99 name=vlan99

/ip address
add address address=192.168.99.xxx interface=vlan99

/interface ethernet switch trunk
add name=trunk1 member-ports=sfp11,sfp12

/interface ethernet switch vlan
add ports=ether2,switch1-cpu,trunk1 vlan-id=99

/interface ethernet switch egress-vlan-tag
add tagged-ports=switch1-cpu,trunk1 vlan-id=99

/interface ethernet switch ingress-vlan-translation
add ports=ether2 customer-vid=0 new-customer-vid=99
The two switches are then connected SFP11 to SFP11 and SFP12 to SFP12 but I am not able to pass traffic (although MDB looks to be populated correctly). If I disable one of the SFP interfaces so the trunk only contains a single, active link then the traffic passes.

What am I missing?

Many thanks.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS112 trunking

Mon May 06, 2019 1:41 pm

You should not add trunked interfaces (sfp11 and sfp12) to the bridge1 ... only the trunk interface (trunk1).

The bridge should operate through trunk1 interface and only lower layers (switch chip) should be aware of what trunk1 really is.

squeezypiano
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 1:50 pm

You should not add trunked interfaces (sfp11 and sfp12) to the bridge1 ... only the trunk interface (trunk1).

The bridge should operate through trunk1 interface and only lower layers (switch chip) should be aware of what trunk1 really is.
@mkx: Thanks for that, makes perfect sense. Will give it a try later when I have access to the switches and feed back.

squeezypiano
Topic Author

Mon May 06, 2019 11:07 pm

Sad to say this is not working. When trying to add the trunk to the bridge instead of the individual ports I am getting this message:
invalid value for argument interface:
    input does not match any value of interface
    input does not match any value of interface-list
Any thoughts, please?

Many thanks.

interprime
just joined

Wed May 08, 2019 12:46 pm

I have the same problem. I discovered that if I disable the spaning tree, I can make it work. But I did not see this in mikrotik documentation

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Now wait, that's two different issues, not the same one.

One issue is that the trunking can either be done at bridge level (in software running at CPU) or at switch chip level (in hardware), but not both at the same time, because the decision through which physical interface to run the frame must be done at the same place for frames sent by the CPU and frames forwarded from other interfaces (ports) of the switch chip. So if the decision is to let the switch chip handle the trunking, the trunkX port must be a member port of the bridge as @mkx wrote. So if RouterOS doesn't accept that, it is a bug.

@squeezypiano, can you check whether when you type /interface bridge port add interface= in the CLI (terminal window or ssh) while the trunk has previously been created using /interface ethernet switch trunk add ... and press the [TAB] key, RouterOS suggests you the trunk interface name among the choices? And if not, what about /interface print?

Another issue is how STP makes friends with trunking in hardware. For sure the CRS1xx/2xx switch chips do not support MSTP in hardware so if you activate it on a bridge, direct forwarding in switch chip between member interfaces of that bridge is disabled, but that should by itself not affect the ability to set up a trunk at switch chip level. Older STP flavors are supported by the switch chip itself in hardware, however there may be some headache associated with the trunking. Normally the trunk as a whole must be handled as a single logical port by the STP (otherwise STP would shut down all the member ports but one), so if the hardware STP in the switch chip didn't respect this, there would be an issue. And I agree that regarding this aspect, the manual is audibly silent.