Community discussions

MikroTik App

helmonder
Topic Author

RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN replacement

Tue May 07, 2019 7:19 pm

I am using a Mikrotik RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN and am extremely happy with it. In the course of several years I have set it up with queueing, incomming and outgoing VPN, I am routing my IPTV through it in a seperate VLAN, etc. etc.

Basically I have hacked this thing to fit as a glove.

I am now looking for a replacement system that will not only give me 2.4Ghz but also 5Ghz and also includes an SFP+ cage that can except a 10G SFP..

Most importantly I hope I can do this and migrate my setup... Is this possible ? Or do I have to redo my complete setup ?

csalcedo
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: RB2011UiAS-2HnD-IN replacement

Tue May 07, 2019 7:42 pm

RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD-IN

helmonder
Topic Author

Tue May 07, 2019 7:49 pm

Looks good... Even looks the same on the outside but for the color...

Would my configuration be portable ? Can I just backup on the old router and load that in the new ?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 07, 2019 8:43 pm

You can definitely NOT use backup to transfer config between different device types. It's not fool-proof even between different devices of same type.

You can create text export of configuration (it misses a few things, such as users, passwords, certifficates, ...) and then you can try to insert setup to the new router.
However, I suggest you to review and re-do the setup. Default setup in recent ROS versions is quite fine and is good base to make needed adjustments.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue May 07, 2019 10:41 pm

The ability to move the same configuration across hardware models is one of things I appreaciate most about Mikrotik. However, in addition to functions implemented in software, there are also the switch chip features which make the biggest difference between the models (of course leaving aside the CPU throughput). So if you make use of the switch chip features, especially regarding VLAN handling, you may be disappointed by the capabiities of the switch chips used in 4011 which are less advanced and you will have to modify the configuration to get the same functionality using the software bridge(s).

r00t
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue May 07, 2019 11:25 pm

RB4011 is best matching device for your requirements, at least on the paper. However as written above, make sure you check all the specifications as there are some small details that may break your config completely, like the switch chip capabilities. Also state of 5GHz WIFI on RB4011 is still bugged and constant source of desperation (stops working after a few hours with no connected clients, RB needs to be rebooted to fix it... you can find more about it here on the forum) and it's not clear if it's hardware or software issue and when (or if ever) it will be fixed.

helmonder
Topic Author

Wed May 08, 2019 10:30 am

Auch... That last one is a killer...

As far as the setup is concerned I would be able to manually redo it (just takes time).. So that is still possible to fix..

The 5ghz however is quite important to me since I use it to connect several high bandwidth setups in my house.. (at the moment I have an HAP AP attached to the router to deliver me 5Ghz and that basically works great... Its just somewhat of an eyesore that I have a seperate device for this.,..

I will keep a lookout in the forum for the 5ghz stuff and wait with the investment,... Thanks for the info !