Community discussions

ShyLion
Topic Author

Error on Wiki page

Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am

Hello.
There is major error on https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Random_M ... _and_apply page.
Random MAC address MUST have second-lowermost bit SET in first octet!
Please, change it to some of 2,6,A,E.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Error on Wiki page

Wed May 08, 2019 9:57 am

I have deleted that page. It was not part of the official documentation and was made by a user, when we still allowed users to make articles.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 08, 2019 3:40 pm

Not that it matters in this context (after @Normis removed the misleading article), but anyways:
Random MAC address MUST have second-lowermost bit SET in first octet!
Please, change it to some of 2,6,A,E.
Actually it can be one of 2,3,6,7,A,B,E,F ... all those have the second LSB set (and the first LSB doesn't matter).
BR,
Metod

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 08, 2019 4:01 pm

I believe that the LSB value 1 indicates a multicast address regardless the value of the UAA/LAA indicator, and no interface's own MAC address should be a muticast one. So I'd stick with 2,6,a,e as the lower nibble of the first byte.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

ShyLion
Topic Author

Mon May 20, 2019 3:18 pm

I believe that the LSB value 1 indicates a multicast address regardless the value of the UAA/LAA indicator, and no interface's own MAC address should be a muticast one. So I'd stick with 2,6,a,e as the lower nibble of the first byte.
Exactly!