Community discussions

jaceyk
just joined
Topic Author

Traffic Generator on multi-core Mikrotiks

Wed May 15, 2019 4:22 pm

As of 6.44.3, the Traffic Generator feature does not measure Out-of-Order packets on the CCR1009. The exact some config on a RB800 detects OoO packets without any issue.

I assume that means that all the CCRs would have the same problem, since they use multi-core Tilera CPUs.

Here's my problem: I need to be able to measure OoO packets for certain clients with extremely sensitive real-time traffic, and I'm familiar with Mikrotik so I'd prefer to use this system, but I don't want to use the single-core ones since they can't relaibly generate and calculate all the garbage that I need to send and recieve at the speeds that I need.

So has anyone tried the ARM multi-core CPUs? Are they able to detect and report OoO packets?

jaceyk
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Traffic Generator on multi-core Mikrotiks

Thu May 16, 2019 12:56 pm

I'll bump my own post with some content. I'm not sure how many people use the traffic-generator regularly but it's a great feature. Unlike the Bandwidth Test it can be used with any other vendor.

Here's a sample config that could be used to measure a layer 2 link:
/ip address
add address 192.168.1.1/29 interface=ether1

/tool traffic-generator packet-template
add header-stack=mac,ip interface=ether1 ip-dst=192.168.1.1 mac-dst=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF/FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF name=test

tool traffic-generator quick tx-template=test mbps=100
Just put the MAC address of the next-hop device in the 'mac-dst' template field and fire away. Since the destination IP is the IP of the generator, the packets will bounce off the opposite router and back into the generator. That tests the layer 2 link in between, whether it's a wireless link or a transparent layer 2 service from another carrier. The other side doesn't need to run a bandwidth server, be a Mikrotik or even be managed by you.