Community discussions

MikroTik App

meazz1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Uninstall Wireless and other packages

Thu May 23, 2019 5:26 am

I have a Router 750G r3 without wireless feature. I also use a gig fiber connection without the PPPoE option.
In that case, will it be ok to uninstall package "wireless"and "ppp"?

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Uninstall Wireless and other packages

Thu May 23, 2019 5:47 am

The "ppp" package is also for VPNs. So if you don't need them, then yes.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Uninstall Wireless and other packages  [SOLVED]

Thu May 23, 2019 4:21 pm

@meazz1: by default, Routerboard devices have installed package bundle and it's not possible to completely uninstall individual packages ... it's only possible to disable them. If you want to completely uninstall some packages, you have to "unbundle" ROS first. The procedure is as follows (you only have to perform it once, later upgrades will keep your RB unbundled):

1. The process can be only done when upgrading ROS version!
  2. Download "Extra packages" ZIP archive from download page. Make sure you're downloading package for correct architecture and version should be newer than the one currently installed on your RB
  3. extract only packages you want to keep. Bare minimum is system, but you want to add security (for SSL/SSH/...) and dhcp (security depends on this one) .. and other. You probably don't need routing (it's for advanced routing, such as BGP, OSPF etc.), simple routing works without this package.
  4. upload those packages to router and place them in root of the storage. Make sure files are transferred without any error.
  5. reboot the router
  6. at this point it should be running upgraded ROS version and only packages you hand selected. If it doesn't, check log for any signs of problems.

meazz1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 5:21 am

The "ppp" package is also for VPNs. So if you don't need them, then yes.
thanks for your suggestion.

meazz1
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri May 24, 2019 5:22 am

@meazz1: by default, Routerboard devices have installed package bundle and it's not possible to completely uninstall individual packages ... it's only possible to disable them. If you want to completely uninstall some packages, you have to "unbundle" ROS first. The procedure is as follows (you only have to perform it once, later upgrades will keep your RB unbundled):

2. Download "Extra packages" ZIP archive from download page. Make sure you're downloading package for correct architecture and version should be newer than the one currently installed on your RB
  3. extract only packages you want to keep. Bare minimum is system, but you want to add security (for SSL/SSH/...) and dhcp (security depends on this one) .. and other. You probably don't need routing (it's for advanced routing, such as BGP, OSPF etc.), simple routing works without this package.
  4. upload those packages to router and place them in root of the storage. Make sure files are transferred without any error.
  5. reboot the router
  6. at this point it should be running upgraded ROS version and only packages you hand selected. If it doesn't, check log for any signs of problems.
Thanks I was able to uninstall packages as per your directions.

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:46 pm

5. reboot the router
Thanks, I was looking for this. Wireless takes up 2.6MB and I wanted to uninstall that.

1) Root of the storage, do you mean the RAM basically? Not flash/ or disk/.
2) So can I do this without resetting the device? Will my users/configs stay after the reboot 100% as if nothing happened except one package is gone?
3) If everything goes OK, what happens if I want to upgrade routeros next time? Do I have to again repeat these steps or just upgrade it from winbox with one click as usual?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:16 pm

1. Yes, for devices with small disk (i.e. less tgan 128MB disk) this is tgen RAM disk.
2. Yes, configuration related to "surviving" packages will be kept intact.
3. As written: after you "unbundle" ROS once, it'll stay unbundled after normal upgrades (using winbox).

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:57 am

1. Yes, for devices with small disk (i.e. less tgan 128MB disk) this is tgen RAM disk.
2. Yes, configuration related to "surviving" packages will be kept intact.
3. As written: after you "unbundle" ROS once, it'll stay unbundled after normal upgrades (using winbox).
Thanks! That answers it all. Now waiting for the next build to unbundle. If you want I can open a new thread but I want to ask one thing similar to this...

So coming from RB951 which has 128MB storage, I had 20K+ firewall blacklist. Adding them to hAP AC2, 16MB storage went down to 20KB and not 19KB after that, so that's the lowest limit I guess. I suspected something was wrong and rebooted. When the device was on, address lists were gone (thinking that after going down to 20KB, it directly went to RAM and reboot wiped it all) with the mangle rules and filter lists which it didn't make sense at all because they were added way earlier. Anyways I had my backup each step, so no worries.

I plugged USB Flash this time, and no, it still used flash storage and went down to 20KB again and same problems afterwards, basically it doesn't survive a reboot if you exhaust the storage, and it doesn't use flash USB.

Right now I cut my address list to 10K+ and have 750KB storage left that can survive a reboot. Uninstalling wireless package will give me 2.6MB more.

Is there any other way to overcome this? Other than yelling Mikrotik why the hell they didn't put at least 24MB on these beautiful devices.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:20 am

If you create address list where entries have timeout set, then this configuration doesn't get stored to permanent storage. It is lost on reboot and you have to refresh it every now and then, so this might or might not be a solution for you.
There's no way for ROS to use anything else than built-in permanent storage to store static configuration (less "auxiliary files", such as hot-spot html files or the Dude database).

Xtreme512
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:18 pm

If you create address list where entries have timeout set, then this configuration doesn't get stored to permanent storage. It is lost on reboot and you have to refresh it every now and then, so this might or might not be a solution for you.
There's no way for ROS to use anything else than built-in permanent storage to store static configuration (less "auxiliary files", such as hot-spot html files or the Dude database).
Nope they weren't dynamic, no time-outs etc., I don't do that.

edit: So this 16MB devices are doomed to have no more than 15K+ address list.
edit2: It's funny that all the things I hate about Mikrotik is memory related. Can't write more than 4KB a file, can't read more than 64KB a file, can't have 24-32-64MB but only 16-128-256MB of storage. Other than that, it is a paradise.

mariojuniorjp
just joined

Thu Sep 09, 2021 5:19 pm

5. reboot the router
Thanks so much! Worked like a charm on my 760IGS! :D