Community discussions

MikroTik App

RackKing
Topic Author

Mikrotik router with Windows Server DHCP Server?

Thu May 23, 2019 3:01 pm

Hi,

Question - I have a Tik router connected behind a sonicwall router running a 192.168.33.1/24 network. There is a Windows server running DHCP on that network at 192.168.33.6. I want to get clients connected to my Tik to pick up and address from that HDCP server at 192.168.33.6

- ISP >> Sonicwall >> to Mikrotik Ether 1 with an address of 192.168.33.5 specified.
- Windows DHCP server >> Switch >> Sonicwall. All the clients connected to the switch pick up an 192.168.33.x network address properly from the HDCP server

How can I let other clients connected to/beind my mikrotik to see that Windows DHCP server? Is this situation where I need to use DHCP relay? I did not think so because they are ton the same network segment, but the mikrotik is stopping broadcast traffic to the sonicwall network? I feel like I am doing something silly to not make this work.

Thanks

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik router with Windows Server DHCP Server?

Thu May 23, 2019 10:12 pm

The DHCP server needs to be visible to the DHCP client at L2 (bridged, switched) level. So if your Mikrotik is routing rather than switching between the interface connected to the sonicwall & windows server and the interface(s) to which your other devices are connected, the DHCPDISCOVER from those "other devices" cannot reach the server.

So if you want those devices to be in the same IP subnet like the Mikrotik itself, you need to make all the interfaces of the Mikrotik member ports of the same bridge; if you want them to be in a different subnet, setting up a DHCP relay on the Mikrotik is just one part of the task; the other one is to configure the DHCP server to provide different settings for these clients as they need IP addresses from a different pool matching the subnet, probably a different netmask, and definitely a different gateway address.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Mikrotik router with Windows Server DHCP Server?

Thu May 23, 2019 10:39 pm

Seems overly complicated or at least disjointed.

Without a full understanding of the network an optimal design/setup is not possible by guessing.
Is the Sonicwall doing all the routing?
Is the MT simply a managed switch?
Have you thought of using VLANS?