Community discussions

mukeshchaubey
Topic Author

slow speed when router configure to Bridge mode

Wed May 29, 2019 9:18 am

Hi .. request to support me over this issue ..

We have main NOC with two ISP as uplink (CCR 1072).... now we have taken L2 circuit from one ISP from city A to our NOC . when we configure the router of City A in bridge mode(model ccr 1009) and all the interface ip are configure at noc .. we get speed issue in whole CITY A. but if we configure the all interface and ip at City A and masqulade all ...all work fine ..
request to help on this .
Diagram :-

---ISP 1-----------------|
| (NOC .. CCR 1072)-----------------------------------------(L2 CIRCUIT from know ISP )------------------------------(CITY A CCR 1009)-----------Backhaul network (wireless radio)
---ISP 2-----------------|

(here when we configure ccr 1009 in bridge mode and all the interface (Gateway ip ) configured on CCR 1072 ..SPEED ISSUE WE FACE ..but if we configure all interface and gateway ip on CCR 1009.Than no issue we faced ...request to please help me ..

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: slow speed when router configure to Bridge mode

Wed May 29, 2019 9:53 am

Two possible issues - the L2 broadcast and multicast traffic may consume a lot of the available bandwidth depending on how your LAN devices in the NOC are configured, or the CCR doesn't deal with the load on the bridge. Use tool profile to see how the CPUs are doing while the bridge setup is in use; if the summary CPU load is above 50%, you want too much from the hardware, otherwise it's the broadcast and multicast stealing the bandwidth.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

mukeshchaubey
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2019 10:25 am

thanks..

I think ,i check tool profile on ccr 1009 in bridge mode .which was normal ....i will check other parameters also...
just wanted to know ...since we are running public hotspot (EXPRESS WIFI BY FACEBOOK ) . ..my motive is to nat ever private ip pool of /24 or /25 customer with single public ip pool .. but that public ip pool (bgp) is configured on NOC router ...how i can src-nat every /25 private ip pool of CITY A to a single public ip pool of NOC .

THANKS FOR QUCK RESPONSE ..

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 29, 2019 10:39 am

Just use the src-nat rule with to-addresses set to that public pool (or its subrange). You don't need L2 for this, the NAT can be done anywhere on the path. So default route of city A via the NOC router with no NAT on the outbound interface, and NAT on the internet-facing interface of the NOC router will do the trick.
Instead of writing novels, post /export hide-sensitive. Use find&replace in your favourite text editor to systematically replace all occurrences of each public IP address potentially identifying you by a distinctive pattern such as my.public.ip.1.

mukeshchaubey
Topic Author

Wed May 29, 2019 11:21 am

Just use the src-nat rule with to-addresses set to that public pool (or its subrange). You don't need L2 for this, the NAT can be done anywhere on the path. So default route of city A via the NOC router with no NAT on the outbound interface, and NAT on the internet-facing interface of the NOC router will do the trick.
thanks for quick response .. I will check and get back to you .. ..L2 circuit is give by isp (for PTP).. so that will remain same ...i will do testing on that

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed May 29, 2019 11:31 am

I had in mind L2 handling on your boxes. You can use the L2 link to host just an interconnection subnet, not to extend the broadcast domain across it.

mukeshchaubey
Topic Author

Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:38 pm

Can you suggest me what would be the best way? what devise I should use in place of ???? AT CITY B switch or router ?. let me know .. ..our issue is still there ..when we use the router in bridge mode and all the gateway configure on location A .. .slow speed we get. ..but when we use the router at CITY B in router mode its work fine ..

Alternate question for same issue:

how i can assign the multiple public IP at CITY B ? so that we can srcnat traffic of wifi backhauls to use multiple IP routed to internet .. plz explain in brief for configuration in CITY B.let say my public IP is 123.145.235.0/24 ..configure at Location A . ..

-
we are not able to understand the issue .but as you explain earlier ..may be broadcast will be an issue .how I can avoid if so .. we have the same network in other location where we are not getting any speed issue when we do configuration IN bridge mode. I am unable to understand why few locations have such issue.

Network diagram in brief.

--------------------------------------ILL (1G)------------------------| |
| Location A with CCR 1072 |city A->----------------------L2 CIRCUIT-------------------------------CITY B {????}---wifi backhaul
| |
---------------------------PEERING (500 MBPS)----------------| BPG running) |
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm afraid I haven't understood your picture, maybe a photo of a drawing by hand would be less affected by font chosen.

What I've understood so far is that you have a wireless network in one city (A) and a device to which a subnet of public IPs is routed in another city (B), and you want traffic from the wireless network in City A to be src-nated to multiple public addresses which are reachable & propagated using BGP at City B machine.

So to do that in routed mode:
  • set some private subnet for the wireless clients on City A machine, e.g. 10.128.0.0/20, set up the DHCP server for that network's wireless clients etc.
  • use a connection subnet (also private, such as 10.0.0.64/30) on the link between City A and City B machines (10.0.0.65/30 at City A, 10.0.0.66/30 at City B)
  • set the gateway of the default route of City A machine to the IP of the City B machine in that connection subnet - /ip route add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=10.0.0.66
  • set the route to the wireless clients' subnet in City A on the City B via the IP of the City A machine in that connection subnet - /ip route add dst-address=10.128.0.0/20 gateway=10.0.0.65
  • set a src-nat rule at the City B machine for that subnet - /ip firewall nat add chain=srcnat src-address=10.128.0.0/20 out-interface=the-internet-uplink-iface action=src-nat to-addresses=first.pub.lic.ip-last.pub.lic.ip
You do not need to have all the public IPs you're going to use for NAT assigned to some interfaces at the City B machine, but if its uplink gateway is in the same subnet as those public addresses, you have to set the arp parameter of the uplink interface to proxy-arp value.

as you explain earlier ..may be broadcast will be an issue .how I can avoid if so .. we have the same network in other location where we are not getting any speed issue when we do configuration IN bridge mode. I am unable to understand why few locations have such issue.
L2 (bridge mode) links always carry broadcast traffic; the question is the amount of that traffic and what sources it comes from. By using L3 mode for the interconnection as described above, you get rid of broadcast traffic on the link as it never escapes its L2 segment.