Community discussions

MikroTik App

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Aux port?

Fri May 31, 2019 5:47 am

Hi. Today I had some problems with my LTE signal (RSRP). Anyway It's solved, but I have me a doubt because when I disconnect the U.FL connectors from R11e-LTE card, I see that the first "port/connector" says "AUX" and the second "MAIN". If I connect only the AUX, it connects only with 3G but never I have Internet connection, then, if I connect the MAIN, "magically" Internet works, and then if I disconnect again the AUX port, nothing happends, all normal.

My question is: What is the purpose of the AUX connector?

Regards.

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Aux port?

Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm

LTE MIMO antenna uses both connectors obviously.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Fri May 31, 2019 7:57 pm

I know it. My question is what is the porpuse of the aux connector. I researched on Internet and some people says that improve the speed (download or upload, I can't remember right now), but in my tests I no see differences (40 Mbps DL / 10 Mbps UL).

Would be great that someone can confirm this or if know something different.

Regards.

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:38 am

My question is what is the porpuse of the aux connector.
Sorry to be Captain Obvious but the purpose of the aux connector is to connect second chain of LTE MIMO antenna to your routerboard, literally :)

So I reckon the real question would be why use MIMO antenna in the first place, and the answer to that is to have more speed, if you lucky enough to have support from your carrier, and current cell tower have aggregation enabled, and your modem uses all the supported bands etc etc

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 1:17 am

Thanks for the answer. Very good point.

Regards.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Aux port?  [SOLVED]

Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:24 pm

So I reckon the real question would be why use MIMO antenna in the first place, and the answer to that is to have more speed, if you lucky enough to have support from your carrier, and current cell tower have aggregation enabled, and your modem uses all the supported bands etc etc
Carrier aggregation has nothing to do with MIMO ... CA would be if WiFi would alliw simultaneous use of both 2.4 and 5GHz WiFi bands ... in a much more sleek way than some link bonding ...

BTW, basic standard for LTE requires use of MIMO 2x2 ... hence every LTE device uses at least 2 antennae. Both are equally important thus naming main/aux is unfortunate. Usual designation is to number ports from 0 upwards.

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:15 pm

Very very interesting. Thanks for the answer mkx.

Regards.

Tazmainian
just joined

Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:31 pm

LTE does not require MIMO, it can run with SISO, so how does one know what transmission mode the modem is using, and if the modem you have can do MIMO?