Community discussions

MikroTik App

bixi
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

atheros ar5213 lot of problems, low lange, big pings ...

Sun Nov 28, 2004 4:09 am

I tryed all versions of MT from 2.8.10 -2.9b6, and I changed 3 computers and two wireless cards.
One card is D-link DWL-G520 HW. version B2, FW 3.1.6 and other card is
Trust speedshare PRO PCI adapter.
Both of them MK (newer versions) recognize like AR5213.

I tried wireless and wireles legacy drivers. With wireless legacy drivers cards are recognized like AR5212 and when i enable wireless interface, MK hangs and there is kernel panic message. If I force cards to b/g than cards start to work, but that is all. When i try to connect, link fail every minute, ping is from 1ms to 3000ms and there is many timeouts.
All that is tested in room. When I move from MK for few meters with laptop, there is no signal ?!?! Also worster signal is with Trust card than a Dlink g520 but both of them are unusable.
I use AP bridge mode.

Both of cards are ok, because i tryed them in windows XP and work great.
Trust card do not change power when i manual change option from 1-23dB.

On trust card board is atheros chip AR5213A. (maybe that "A" makes me problems?)

Which PCI cards you are using ? Is there any list of cards which are working on b/g ? I looked on http://www.mikrotik.com/docs/ros/2.8/gu ... st.content and bought that two cards.

Please, give me some suggestion. I realy do not have idea how to fix that.

Thanks

[ASM]
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:53 am

AR5213A means that this chip is AR5213 revision A :)

I'm not sure isn't that D-Link problem, because I use 2 card with this chip at more than 30 km link, and they work a little better than AR5212.

P.S.: AR5213 is recognised from MT version 2.8.17 (maybe 2.8.16) wireless package. Before that version it works as AR5212. 2.9b6 (I think) doesn't recognise the card nor as 5212 nor as 5213

bixi
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2004 11:38 am

I make fresh instalations of 2.9b8
You were right, newest 2.9b8 recognizes AR5213, but there is same problem like before :-( When I start wireless interface, ping is 1ms and every new request is slower and slower. There are many packet lost, and transfer is terrible.

marksx
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Nov 28, 2004 2:55 pm

yes we have the same problems with cards "planet 8310"
but not all cards have these problems:
ex. ~10 cards, 3 works PERFECT
5 have high ping issue (1ms,1ms,40ms,500ms,400ms,700ms,30ms,1ms...)
2 others have packet loss !
try changing options:
Nstreme
turbo mode
WEP

and of course send supout ;-)

PS. on 2.8.19 none of my atheros work fine :/

bixi
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sun Nov 28, 2004 9:54 pm

Great :-(
I see there in forum that many users have problems with atheros AR5213.
Is there any voice about that from Mikrotik ?

You mean that I send support file, to mikrotik ? Will that help ?

dorijan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:23 am

I use wireless-legacy, and it works ok, both 5212 and 5213....I use dlink, planet and trust cards...but with new drivers they just dont work...tried sending support files to MT, sending messages on forum and to them directly, they said it is working, but it didnt work...so I give up complaining and continue to use wireless-legacy...Maybe some day when critical mass of people will preassure MT to make drivers that work I will upgrade...till then...legacy is way to go...

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:59 am

guys, this is hardware issue, not software - you can't blame MT for anything. Believe me, I know what I'm talking about. As soon as you replace shitty taiwanese cards with flaky radiofrequency parts and amplifiers with something that REALLY WORKS, you won't have problems.

Although we are not talking about 30$ cards here - this is $250 league...

bixi
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:41 am

How that cheap cards work PERFECT under windows ??
Who is there crazy ?
What are alternatives?

Dorijan, my system hang with kernel panic when I enable wireless interface with DL-g520 and trust speedshare. Which versions you use ?

dorijan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:34 pm

mp3turbo2: how can it be hardware issue when they are working perfectly under wireless-legacy drivers and under windows, and with new drivers they are not working????

bixi: I use 2.8.16 but make sure you select band 2.4gh-g BEFORE you enable it!!!

jonbrewer
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:36 pm

I use wireless-legacy, and it works ok, both 5212 and 5213....I use dlink, planet and trust cards...but with new drivers they just dont work...tried sending support files to MT, sending messages on forum and to them directly, they said it is working, but it didnt work...so I give up complaining and continue to use wireless-legacy...Maybe some day when critical mass of people will preassure MT to make drivers that work I will upgrade...till then...legacy is way to go...
I add my voice to this. We have to use Wireless Legacy on our 20 D-Link AG-530 cards, and even that doesn't work perfectly. The best alternative now is going with a commercial system like Proxim mp11.a. (Also have someone working on a BSD alternative for our existing hardware) Given the cost of hardware, software, and the excessive labour we have put into trying to make these buggy drivers work, Mikrotik is losing any economic advantages they had in the past.

bixi
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Tue Nov 30, 2004 3:11 am

Thanks Dorijan, but 2.8.16 do not work properly to me with wireles legacy.
Link is bad, output power is very low, pings are approx 5ms in same room. G standard do not work, only B work but. Every 10th packet is lost.

Please mikrotik users, specify which cards are you using with new version 2.8.19 or 2.9B8, and is everything work good with that cards.
I am interested for b/g or a/b/g, and AP mode.
From mikrotik list of supported hardware I cant see much useful informations, beacuse there are many companies which are not listed there and have atheros chipset.

mp3turbo2
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:11 pm

> How that cheap cards work PERFECT under windows ??

easy - you have several mile link with mikrotik, yeah? And do you have that same link with windows or do you "test" the same cards within living room where you have several TENS of decibels in signal strength ? I think that windows drivers are not going to work outdoor for more than several hundreds of meters (I mean 300, 600 or so) due to timing issue. I hope you undestand the difference between 'functionality' in living room, 10m distance and in outdoor environment (where you have plenty of coax, pigtails, connectors - which could be flaky also, btw, antennas and their alignment etc, etc).

> What are alternatives ?

not software issue :) Trial is for free, download it, test it, report back. Looking forward for your conclusion.

> Dorijan, my system hang with kernel panic when I enable wireless
> interface with DL-g520 and trust speedshare. Which versions you use ?

this has been resolved in new versions - next comment about setting 2.4GHz band is correct. First set 2.4GHz (default is 5GHz, that's it) and then enable interface. No kernel panic afterwards...

> mp3turbo2: how can it be hardware issue when they are working
> perfectly under wireless-legacy drivers

windows is not in the game, definitely. Legacy drivers? Heyya, there is difference in behaviour of legacy and nstreme drivers, that's correct. On shorter links with plenty of signal, nstreme may be better, but doesn't have to be - or vice versa. No one knows for sure, your radiofrequency conditions will be different than mine. Beware, 802.11G and 802.11A DO NOT like even slight interference - in order to have reliable and solid throughput, you HAVE TO HAVE CLEAN RF !!! There's nothing you can do with this - only lowering data rate, meaning lower throughput.

> bixi: I use 2.8.16 but make sure you select band 2.4gh-g BEFORE you enable it!!!

What's new in v2.8.17:
*) added - Atheros cards are checked for b/g and a band support;

simple as that, is it?

> I use dlink, planet and trust cards...

yeah, the "best" ones on this planet = read: CHEAP, CHEAP, CHEAP AND ONE MORE TIME CHEAP taiwanese cards. Planet nor Trust have never been known for good cards, I have tested Planet and Micronet cards (sp906, if I remember correctly) and they went thru window to trash can! On solid link where we have tens of megabits of throughput (!!!), both of them were not able to achieve four or five megabits (!!!). Please, do not say anything else about those cards. Please.

> The best alternative now is going with a commercial system like Proxim mp11.a

for sure, you just plug ethernet and you don't have to care about anything.

> Link is bad, output power is very low

this is hardware issue, once again.

I can assure you that I've seen throughput in the same living room from not even ten megabits to more than fifty megabits. The ONLY thing that changed was... ORIENTATION OF BUILT IN ANTENNA (that small stick). Yes, you read it right. Signal has almost no change, but throughput multiplied.

> Every 10th packet is lost.

in living room? You must be doing something wrong. Definitely. Underpowered cpu, something bad in the RF part (cards, pigtails, antenna, connectors, anything). You can't have 10% packet loss in living room. Once you solve this, move to outdoor environment...

bye, mp3turbo.

dorijan
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:47 pm

> How that cheap cards work PERFECT under windows ??

easy - you have several mile link with mikrotik, yeah? And do you have that same link with windows or do you "test" the same cards within living room where you have several TENS of decibels in signal strength ? I think that windows drivers are not going to work outdoor for more than several hundreds of meters (I mean 300, 600 or so) due to timing issue. I hope you undestand the difference between 'functionality' in living room, 10m distance and in outdoor environment (where you have plenty of coax, pigtails, connectors - which could be flaky also, btw, antennas and their alignment etc, etc).

bye, mp3turbo.
First, yes, before mikrotik, we used atheros cards with Windows in outdoor and had links about 3 km long...

Also, I can confirm, with new drivers, you can get packet loss just one room away.

Also, you can get 3 mbit with new drivers, where with legacy drivers you get 23. This is with 5213 cards, some from trust, some from planet...
Here is one example for you. I got one link 2.77 km. In mikrotik there are atheros carsd, from Trust, and I got for about 20 mbits with tcp packets with legacy drivers(-67 dbm). With new drivers I cannot even connect and I dont even see other side. So now tell me that this is a hardware problem?

I would agree that this is a firmware problem, yes, but hardware as general defintly not..

kallocom
just joined

Wed Dec 01, 2004 10:55 am

Can anyone tell us a brand works perfect with MT? I will give them a try...

Borage
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: atheros ar5213 lot of problems, low lange, big pings ...

Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:19 pm

I tryed all versions of MT from 2.8.10 -2.9b6, and I changed 3 computers and two wireless cards.
One card is D-link DWL-G520 HW. version B2, FW 3.1.6 and other card is
I've tried almost every cheap atheros based cards that I can buy in my country, and the card above is the one I found are working pretty well with Mikrotik i.e. good throughput and signal strengt. I haven't tried to use them for long range wireless links, only for short range indoor use.