Chipburn
just joined
Topic Author

Strange DNS problem with OpenVPN & Windows 10 [ Metric weight is done ]

Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:30 pm

Hello there i have a strange DNS request situation my setup is :

Hardware: RB962
Software: 6.44.3 ( stable )

I have OpenVPN server configured and when im trying to ping hostnames from a Windows 10 machine it fails.
If i use the IP it works just fine ( proxy-arp = enabled )

Mikrotik router ( Machine ) IP that is the router dchp dns etc is 10.0.0.1 so the following tests left me puzzled as in nslookup works fine but in ping it fails..
C:\Users\user1>tracert server
Unable to resolve target system name server.

C:\Users\user1>tracert 10.0.0.50

Tracing route to server [10.0.0.50]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  machine [10.0.0.1]
  2     1 ms     1 ms     1 ms  server [10.0.0.50]

Trace complete.

C:\Users\user1>tracert server
Unable to resolve target system name server.

C:\Users\user1>nslookup server
Server:  machine
Address:  10.0.0.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    server
Address:  10.0.0.50

C:\Users\user1>

Any help is appreciated because i feel dump.
Kind regards

Exiver
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Strange DNS problem with OpenVPN & Windows 10 [ Metric weight is done ]  [SOLVED]

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:00 pm

Chipburn
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Strange DNS problem with OpenVPN & Windows 10 [ Metric weight is done ]

Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:27 pm

That seems to be windows specific:

https://serverfault.com/questions/53738 ... sistencies
Omg Exiver, you are such a savior i spend the whole day yesterday troubleshooting this culprit. I used the solution that you posted and worked !

A simple dot --> . in the dns suffixes did the trick. I don't really understand the mechanics behind this, if anyone knows please put some light.
dns_fix.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:33 pm

When you use hostname without any dot, Windows will always try to append domain suffix. If there's some, your "server" becomes e.g. "server.mynet.local" and you don't have such record. I'm not sure what it does when there's none, if there's some default suffix or if it fails. If you add "." as suffix, your "server" becomes "server." and it's FQDN which is sent to resolver as is.

You don't normally see ending dots in hostnames, but you can have https://forum.mikrotik.com./ and it's correct too.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.

Chipburn
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:29 am

When you use hostname without any dot, Windows will always try to append domain suffix. If there's some, your "server" becomes e.g. "server.mynet.local" and you don't have such record. I'm not sure what it does when there's none, if there's some default suffix or if it fails. If you add "." as suffix, your "server" becomes "server." and it's FQDN which is sent to resolver as is.

You don't normally see ending dots in hostnames, but you can have https://forum.mikrotik.com./ and it's correct too.
Thanks for the reply Sob,

Quite strange that this only appears over OpenVPN though, the same behavior is non existant on the actual network. This looks like a bug to me, i just tested the tunnel with my android phone and it doesn't have any DNS problems.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Jun 04, 2019 12:34 am

You'd have to check with packet sniffer what exact queries is each device sending. Every system can have different behaviour, it can also be influenced by configuration. It's difficult to tell what exactly is wrong without seeing what's happening.
People who quote full posts should be spanked with ethernet cable. Some exceptions for multi-topic threads may apply.