Community discussions

MikroTik App

Is a PPTP Tunnel in a IPsec Tunnel possible?

Yes
No votes
No
No votes

Total votes: 0

gogotha
Topic Author

PPTP in IPsec Tunnel

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Has anyone ever ran a IPsec tunnel then drilled through with a PPTP, L2TP or SSTP tunnel? I know its not ideal and overhead would nasty but I am having issues with a CCR1009-7G-1C-1S+ and Sonicwall IPsec IKE tunnel. It works fine from the locally attached devices in the Mikrotik side (green lines) but road warrior and other remote users calling in cannot access the devices in the tunnel (red lines). We have 3 Fortinet IPsec tunnels that have no issue passing the traffic as long as you are on the VPN server behind the Mikrotik. NAT traversal has been tried off and on. Verified ports are PATed on bridge

I could visualize the Sonicwall tunnel allowing the Miktorik LAN IP to tunnel through, then we create a PPTP tunnel in the Mikrotik to tunnel through the tunnel. I've done this with SSTP tunnels running PPTP tunnels inside them. Not sure if this would work..... so the question is; is it possible?

Last edited by gogotha on Sun Nov 01, 2020 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JohnTRIVOLTA

Re: PPTP in IPsec Tunnel

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:50 pm

Maybe the opposite may happen site to site ipsec over ppp connection !
I have already configured such a set up / site to site ipsec over sstp connection with BCP / and a double aes 256 encoding is obtained - the safest tunnel you can set :D