Community discussions

MikroTik App

aslanbdb
just joined
Topic Author

Need Solution: How to get the maximum speed of my Connection from my MikrotikBoard 2011UiAS-2HnD

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:42 pm

Hello,
currently i'm using MikrotikBoard 2011UiAS-2HnD r2 for my home... My internet connection is 400mbps, but i can only get maximum 150-180mbps speed from the router.. one of my friend told that it's because of the router because it has less cpu power (600mhz) and it cannot give more than 150mbps... i connected directly with my ISP's given modem, the speed was around 400mbps.. but with the mikrotik router with basic bridge and firewall setup i get maximum 180mbps...

this is the test result given on the product's weblink:

https://mikrotik.com/product/RB2011UiAS ... estresults

But i don;t beliefve that a US$ 100 + router cannot give 400mbps internet speed where the less cost TP-Llink router even can give the speed... I think there should be some way to get the full speed... i don't very high firewall settings... i am using it only for my home, but want to get the full speed...

anyone have any idea that can solve my problem ?? ...

CZFan
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Location: South Africa, Krugersdorp (Home town of Brad Binder)

Re: Need Solution: How to get the maximum speed of my Connection from my MikrotikBoard 2011UiAS-2HnD  [SOLVED]

Sun Jun 09, 2019 12:26 am

You will need to make use of firewall "fasttrack" rule.

Search the forum, many discussions re above, including on the 2011 router

aslanbdb
just joined
Topic Author

Re: Need Solution: How to get the maximum speed of my Connection from my MikrotikBoard 2011UiAS-2HnD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:46 am

You will need to make use of firewall "fasttrack" rule.

Search the forum, many discussions re above, including on the 2011 router
it worked man... thnx alot

before closing my question just want to ask one more thing... as one of my nerd friend said that with fasttrack u can't do mangle or queues, is this true or he was wrong... what he said doesnt sound like correct...

Pea
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Need Solution: How to get the maximum speed of my Connection from my MikrotikBoard 2011UiAS-2HnD

Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:21 am

Warning: Queues (except Queue Trees parented to interfaces), firewall filter and mangle rules will not be applied for FastTracked traffic.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Fasttrack

If you want to process the traffic fast then you cannot apply to it any CPU intensive processing, it is that simple.

So choose which traffic you pass through fasttrack. If you pass all or some traffic then for this portion forget about queues and mangle.

aslanbdb
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:56 am

Warning: Queues (except Queue Trees parented to interfaces), firewall filter and mangle rules will not be applied for FastTracked traffic.
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Fasttrack

If you want to process the traffic fast then you cannot apply to it any CPU intensive processing, it is that simple.

So choose which traffic you pass through fasttrack. If you pass all or some traffic then for this portion forget about queues and mangle.
actually i have only mangle for VPN connection.. i put 2 devices under VPN connection.. i created the mangle with packet marking and binded them by MAC Addresses, so that only those devices can go under VPN connection, other devices will use the main internet.. Thought, it will not work after fasttrack, but it's working...

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jun 10, 2019 12:07 pm

It all depends on how exactly your firewall rules look like. If connections which depend on routing-mark to be assigned by mangle rules are fasttracked, they do work but appear to be slow because most packets take the wrong route as they escape the mangle rules, so they are dropped and retransmitted. If you've excluded these connections from fasttracking by some additional rules or additional conditions in the action=fasttrack-connection rule, these connections are not fasttracked but are not slowed down by being misrouted; if you assign the routing-mark using /ip route rule rules rather than /ip firewall mangle rule, these connections are fasttracked and the routing-mark is nevertheless assigned to each packet.

aslanbdb
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:26 am

It all depends on how exactly your firewall rules look like. If connections which depend on routing-mark to be assigned by mangle rules are fasttracked, they do work but appear to be slow because most packets take the wrong route as they escape the mangle rules, so they are dropped and retransmitted. If you've excluded these connections from fasttracking by some additional rules or additional conditions in the action=fasttrack-connection rule, these connections are not fasttracked but are not slowed down by being misrouted; if you assign the routing-mark using /ip route rule rules rather than /ip firewall mangle rule, these connections are fasttracked and the routing-mark is nevertheless assigned to each packet.
actually only one device is being routed by VPN, so, actually i cannot even get more than 40-50 mbps from VPN service.. but at the end my problem solved.. thanx to u all :)

pe1chl
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:09 am

But i don;t beliefve that a US$ 100 + router cannot give 400mbps internet speed where the less cost TP-Llink router even can give the speed...
It is an old router. Maybe you bought it recently, but it was released in 2011, nearly 8 years ago. You cannot compare that to other devices that were developed more recently.
E.g. the MikroTik RB750Gr3, which costs less than the 2011, is faster at most tasks. It is a more recent device. It would likely run your VPN at 400 Mbps (depending on the VPN type).

The 2011 is a widely used workhorse and with tweaking like fasttrack it can be pulled into the use as NAT router for faster internet connections, but when you need performance it really isn't the best choice.
Of course the MikroTik models that do offer more performance (4011, 1100Ahx4, CCR) are also a bit more expensive. But they can do a lot more than a typical home router.