Community discussions

MikroTik App

jmcguckin
Topic Author

Annoyed with Mikrotik 'Support'

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:53 pm

Everytime I contact support, I have a list of 4 or 5 questions, they reply answering just the first
question. Is there a limit on the number of replies they give?

I purchased a wireless wire and noticed that both units are WAP-60g AP units.
Are they the same hardware for ap and station.

How many degrees does the WAP-60g AP serve? 60? 90? 120?

Thanks,

joe

McSee
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Re: Annoyed with Mikrotik 'Support'

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:31 pm

60ad.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuJack20
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:14 pm

Everytime I contact support, I have a list of 4 or 5 questions, they reply answering just the first
question. Is there a limit on the number of replies they give?

I purchased a wireless wire and noticed that both units are WAP-60g AP units.
Are they the same hardware for ap and station.

How many degrees does the WAP-60g AP serve? 60? 90? 120?

Thanks,

joe
Hi Joe

The first step for support is always the distributor, i.e the company/entity where you bought the product from.
If they don't give enough info, you should try here in the forum.

Also just a search in google, like McSee has shown you, never hurts.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:42 pm

Mikrotik creates a number for each support question and it seems that only one question is accepted. Try next time first the suggestion mentioned earlier and search a bit. If no find put the questions in separate e-mails if the differ much.

The forum is often faster than support.

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:04 am

There are also many consultants around the world that can help. Sometimes spending a bit on money relieves great stress and gets a solution working quickly. MT equipment is designed for people familiar with networking to a fairly high level. To be clear, just like 'Jon Snow' I know jack sheite (nothing) so don't ask me LOL.

jmcguckin
Topic Author

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:47 am

> Phase array 60 degree beamforming

Yes, but is that the width of the beam? What the total area covered by the radio? One would think that is some multiple of 60.

msatter
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:41 am

Duh. 60 Degrees is the angle and if you look at hardware section you see also a X3 (new) version that has an angle of 180 degrees. The width is limited by the distance. I won't reach the planet Mars despite it could be well in the 60 degrees angle.

From the Mikrotik wiki and if you look at the LHG version with a 3 degree beam you will understand the 60 degree beam.

Physical Properties

Atmospheric attenuation for the wireless frequencies used in 802.11ad standard is very high, this should be taken in account before deploying links.

The Wireless Wire kit have been tested in distances up to 200 meters.

Wireless Wire dish kit is tested at distances up to 2500 meters For stability and full speed availability this kit is recommended for distances up to 1500 meters.

wAP60G devices are equipped with phase array 60° beamforming antennas, that can help signal find the way around objects in short distances but it's still vital to keep the line of sight clear on higher distances.

LHG60G device single radiation pattern is less than 1 degree (both Horizontal and Vertical), All patterns combined provide close to 3 degree coverage in both Horizontal and Vertical planes, best one for each situation is calculated by using beamforming algorithm. Beam width and direction depends on used predefined calibrated sector.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Interface/W60G

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am

> Phase array 60 degree beamforming

Yes, but is that the width of the beam? What the total area covered by the radio? One would think that is some multiple of 60.
"60 degree" means that generally antenna is capable of transmitting/receiving in direction which is +-30 degree from direction where antenna is pointed.

"beam forming" means that antenna actively forms a narrower beam in some particular direction within the general angle range. Theoretically it's not necessary to fine tune antenna azimuth and tilt, the beam forming algorithm should take care about that.
Beam width of such formed beam is quite narrow, as @msatter wrote it's 1 degree.

Altogether: it means that the other end of the PtP link should be in general direction of antenna (+- 30 degrees) and that upon link establishment, antenna will form a narrow beam hugely increasing link quality - difference between 60° beam and 1° beam is around 35 dB which is effectively difference in antenna gain. One has to take care about EIRP on Tx side, but on Rx side, these 35dB are net gain (largely increasing SINR).

vecernik87
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:08 am

I have a list of 4 or 5 questions
This is typical trouble with ticket-based support. It is not designed for multi-question cases. I did this mistake few times as well (although not with mikrotik) and I learned quickly that putting multiple questions into single ticket is impossible. Even with normal non-ticket based support, it is hard to follow up for some people. If you instead send them few separate messages, it is much easier to track down what was already answered, what needs to be escalated etc.. It is also possible to mark tickets for future reference, because one ticket = one topic.

Please, do not blame them for this.